Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : oil and water consume

Page 1 of 1 1
oil and water consume
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/26/2006 4:08 PM
Ze Bocaina

Date registered: Dec 1899
oil and water consume

Manual says that in determinated cases engine can consume oil in a tax of 1% of the gasoline consume.

In my counts a consume of 1 litre of oil each 1000 km..... Is it the relation?

As the diference between min /max levels are 1.5 litres , in 1000 km it will decrease from max to to min level.

Are these numbers right?

As in 15 years old cars we always may have water vapor leak , because of old roses, radiator or water recepient screep caps ( in 3000 km i had to comlete 300 mls to the level).

The question is how many times i can complete the level using water instead of colant?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/26/2006 4:35 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
RE: oil and water consume

....As the diference between min /max levels are 1.5 litres , in 1000 km it will decrease from max to to min level. Are these numbers right?....

Your figures may be right, but the oil consumption of the motor is getting a little excessive.  When the manual says its allowable to consume oil in a 1% ratio to fuel, that means one liter of oil for every 100 liters of fuel.  If we assume roughly 20 liters per 100km fuel economy from your 280, then you may be consuming as much as 200 liters of fuel to do 1000 km, and the max allowable consumption of oil for 200 liters of fuel would be 2 liters of oil.  Since you're using 1.5 liters in 1000km, you're still under the factory's max limit, even if you're getting somewhat better than 20l/100km. 

All that said, my 280GE with 535k km traveled since new and 250,000 km since thelast engine rebuild consumes 1.5 liters of oil every 5,000 km, and that's with a fairly leaky exterior (no drips on ground, but oily outside all the time).  Personally I think 1 liter ber 100 liters of fuel is way too much oil consumption.  Have you had compression checked to see if the piston bores are worn out?  Is there any smoke from the exhaust?  I wonder where all that oil is going.

....As in 15 years old cars we always may have water vapor leak , because of old roses, radiator or water recepient screep caps ( in 3000 km i had to comlete 300 mls to the level). The question is how many times i can complete the level using water instead of colant? Zé

The auto parts store will have a little suction device used to draw up coolant and by reading the device you can tell to what freezing and boiling temperature you are protected by the coolant in the engine.  Check the coolant with this device to find out if you have enough protection for the conditions in your locality.  Another good idea is to keep a container of coolant already mixed 50/50 with water and re-fill the coolant system from that, rather than using water, whenever possible.  Auto parts stores int eh US now carry coolant pre-mixed at proper proportion to make this easy, but I don't buy it because I'd rather pay for coolant (glycol) than to buy 1/2 gallon of water from them!  It's a good alternative though for people who have very hard or bad water at home.

-Dave G.

Editing now.... sorry, I forgot you were a 300GE...that doesn't help.....you're probably getting closer to 16 L/100km, meaning you burn only 160 liters in 1000km and your 1.5 liters of oil is very close to the max allowable 1% consumption of 1.6 liters oil for 160 liters fuel.  Something wrong with that engine, IMHO.

Edited by hipine 8/26/2006 4:43 PM
#41232 - in reply to #41230
Author
Posted 8/26/2006 4:37 PM
mortinson
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon
RE: oil and water consume

Zé,

European car manufacturers always quote 1 litre of oil consumption per 1000 Kms as the maximal rate. This is widely regarded as the consumption beyond which the consumer has the right to claim that a new engine is fitted to his car -in the case where the vehicle is still under warranty.

I personally regard the consumption of 1/1000 Kms as totally unacceptable in a Mercedes engine. I have had both petrol and diesel Mercedes and none of them consumed any negligible amounts of oil. I typically change the oil every 5,000 kms to my G300D and when it´s up for change it's still by the top mark. This is something to be expected from a brand new engine but it also happened with the previous one which had a claimed 167,000 Kms.

I have heard from owners in the past that the M103 might consume a moderate amount of oil but nothing like what it seems to be consuming in your G.

If I were you, I would have the compression in those cylinders tested since I suspect that the segments in the cylinders are letting the oil from the engine into the combustion chamber and it is being burnt together with the petrol.

Good luck with that
#41233 - in reply to #41230
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1