Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Led Tail light's

Page 1 of 1 1
Led Tail light's
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/17/2006 1:09 PM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
Led Tail light's

I was behind a new 911 turbo last night and noticed the have led tail lights and turn signals. While nothing to out of the ordinary I did notice how much brighter his brake lights where than the other cars on the road. I mean they where probably 50% brighter than the bmw that was beside him not to mention the fact that the turn signal was like a orange spot light being turned on and off. While im sure some will find it annoying have that bright light blink in there eyes in traffic I think its a grate idea and worth while cause for safety. Once one the interstate of curse he / she did what any of us would in turbo Porsche and check out on the rest of the traffic. One thing i did find interesting is that even with the car being probably a good 3 / 4 a mile away or further you could tell which car it was because of the brighter lights when the brakes where applied. When driving normal, with just the regular lights burning the car was sort of visible in the dark, think of it as the day time running lights. you can see it better than the car with out lights... that’s they way it looked last night... faint red lights in the distance where as you could not see the other cars..

This got me thinking about how hard it would be to swap out these lights and or bulbs to make the G's more visible to people behind us. I know first hand that the brake lights are not the brightest on the G and they set kind of low compared to most cars. While you still have your 3ed brake light it would be nice to have something to get the people attention better. We all know you can run a brighter bulb in the tail light do to heat which will cause the lens to melt. Some of you have had melted lens with stock bulbs already.

I’m in the process of changing all the light on my car trailer to the new low voltage led trailer lights. Granted some of them are over kill like the 62 count brake lights, or the 6 count marker lights compared to the single bulb. At night its hard to see a black trailer with a black car being pulled by a black G wagon. On the car trailer all I had to was order the new lights witch I got from closer to hole sale ( e bay story) then cut the connectors off and wire them into my trailer wires. Nothing to hard, but I’m out on cutting wires on a Mercedes, but as popular as these lights are getting there might be a retro fit bulb to replace or stock bulbs and not melt the housings?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/17/2006 2:05 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Led Tail light's

Shawn,

You can do it a whole lot easier by using bulbs with higher lumens in the existing sockets. My box of replacement upgrades just arrived today. See the Lighting Forum for details.
#53439 - in reply to #53436
Author
Posted 11/17/2006 3:52 PM
Ernest T Bass

Re: Led Tail light's

Like these maybe? http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html
#53454 - in reply to #53436
Author
Posted 11/19/2006 4:23 AM
79percent
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300 GE
RE: Led Tail light's

DUTCH - 11/17/2006 8:05 PM Shawn, You can do it a whole lot easier by using bulbs with higher lumens in the existing sockets. My box of replacement upgrades just arrived today. See the Lighting Forum for details.

or....just wait for the facelift 2007, then the G - Class rear lights will be supplied with LED's as well!

#53609 - in reply to #53439
Author
Posted 11/20/2006 11:10 AM
KERR

Re: Led Tail light's

I would like to have a 07

I mentioned that to wife... conversation went like this...

Honey you know we trade in the G on a 05-06 G 55, or just get a new 07 G 500 with the new dash, lights and everything for less money that 2008 F450. I mean I love the new fords but I still love my G too. What you think about that? Her: Have you lost your freaking mind... I cant even be leave you even suggested that, did Abby hit you in head with that wiffle ball bat again and make you retarded?

Soooo im guessing that she didn't like that idea...

That link donsnt seem to have bulbs for the benz. my bulbs are 7506stop 7507turn and 5007tail

Edited by KERR 11/20/2006 11:31 AM
#53712 - in reply to #53436
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1