Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/19/2006 12:25 PM
Johann
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 1999 LWB 290GDT 1981 SWB 240GD+ Cabrio 2015 G63
Jack leak

The bottle jack which came with my 461 is leaking oil.
I assume it is a seal. Has anybody fixed this or is it not a DIY job?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you
Johann
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/19/2006 6:49 PM
Steve D
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1984 280GE cabrio; 2011 Ford Expedition
RE: Jack leak

There is rebuild kit available. Sorry,but it is expensive. I use one from a Land Rover. It is not exact, but it is close, though it will not fit the space under the hood on a 460. They eventually start leaking as well. Look on ebay.
#53656 - in reply to #53629
Author
Posted 11/19/2006 7:08 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

The one for my 460 started to leak too.  On mine it was the seal for the telescoping center portion that started leaking.  The outer portion is easy enough to get apart byt turning the big hex nut looking thing on top the whole top of the jack unscrews and the ram comes out with that top nut.  If yours is leaking from either of the canister seals, you can get to those that way.  But once you get that far, I got stuck.  In order to get to the ram seals you need to unscrew a cap form the bottom of the ram.  That cap requires a face-type pin spanner, which I have, but the tough part is holding the ram while you try to turn the cap.  I haven't been able to hold it tightly enough without fear of damaging the smooth surface which would of course render it useless.

I was told a couple years ago by Travis, then of Europa, that you could still buy the jack and that the rebuild kit was nearly the cost of the jack.  Both were too expensive to make it to the top of my list yet, so I'm still hauling a Hi-Lift around.

My next method for holding the jack ram was going to be to get a 2-piece collar held together by bolts and machine the ID of the collar to match the OD of the ram.  Weld the collar to a bar of steel, clamp the ram in the collar, and hold the bar in a vise.  I even thought of making a 2-pin spanner out of an old impact socket.  I'm sure I could get it apart that way.

Once apart I could take the seals by the local bearing house and see if they could match something up for me.  That way would probably be cheaper than MB if the seals could be had.  But I've had bigger fish to fry, and the Hi-Lift works okay, even if it does take up too much room.

-Dave G.

#53658 - in reply to #53629
Author
Posted 11/19/2006 8:23 PM
JMKOZ
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2018 G300 cdi Professional Wagon

I too went with the Landrover replacement but I used the Discovery jack and this does fit under the bonnet with a little bit of grinding of the base to fit the existing bracket. FWIW

John

#53666 - in reply to #53629
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1