Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : A big THANK YOU!

Page 1 of 1 1
A big THANK YOU!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/27/2006 8:42 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.
A big THANK YOU!

Here we are, back in South Africa after a FANTASTIC holiday in the US.
We had a really great time and my wife and I must give all the credit to Dave (hipine) for having put together the entire trip for us!

The most appreciative was the friendliness of all the people that we encountered, from the officials at airports to the attendants at service stations, from the little take away places to the hotel personnel, they just made us feel welcome!

Our visit to Dave's and Dai's homes was just simply perfect. Thanks to Cheryl and PK for the warm welcome, hospitality and above all the GREAT cooking!!! (I have put on several pounds!)
The generous wine tasting at Dai's, the wonderful and very well mannered kids of Dave's and Dai's family are a true sign of a noble family!

The trip was very eventful from the scenery of the Moab area, the forests and mountains in the Denver surrounds, the Mesa Verde ruins, to the awesome Great Canyon (did the tour in a Hely on my birthday!), the Yosemite park, to the big city of San Francisco (took a Hely tour over Las Vegas at night and a San Francisco day ride in a limo GREAT!)...........I could go on for an other hour!!!

I have however changed my mind about the LR3, a great comfortable truck, good road holding, big windows and powerful........Very Thirsty however (16m/g!!).....I must say we did travel only on tarred roads and did no do any off-road, so my comment is partial.

We did spot two "G" in our travel, besides Dave's "famous" one in the garage without an engine "quite an achievement" and the nice 460 GD300 at Dai's place. The first sighting was in Sausalito next to the "Original Firehouse"..........(see pick)......one of our members? The second sighting was in Salt Lke City, there I was too slow to take a photo, it was a silver G500 with two elegant ladies on board.......may be on a shopping spree?

I must say that the LR3 was equipped with a very useful and essential equipment that without it we would have been lost "Garmin" street finder. Especially getting in in San Francisco at peak hour traffic over the Bay Bridge without it we would have been in a lot of trouble! The only one thing is that my Wife was getting quite jealous that I was listening to the "warm" voice of the "Lady" instead of giving my full attention to her!

Overall we had good fun and a lot of laughter.

Thank you "American friends" for this unforgettable trip........as your Senator Arnold Schwarzenegger says......"I'll be back" ...for sure!

amzimmy

(Gusa1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Gusa1.jpg (214KB - 7 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/27/2006 11:19 AM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE
Re: A big THANK YOU!

Glad to hear you had a nice trip to the States! With my move to Oklahoma City next week, that will put me closer to Colorado. Maybe one day I can meet up with you all in my G.

I recalled reading a few months ago about the LR3 receiving bad reviews in the States. Of course, a lot of what I read had to do with gadgetry and accessories, not so much the ride from point A to point B. Actually if you do a search, we had a post about that on this site.
#54427 - in reply to #54420
Author
Posted 11/27/2006 12:05 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
Same here

We're glad you had as much fun visiting as we did having you.  Of course, the time is always too short.  But that's just more incentive to make another visit happen.  We sure hope to visit South Africa one of these days.

All the best,

-Dave G.

#54429 - in reply to #54420
Author
Posted 11/27/2006 12:08 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
Re: A big THANK YOU!

.... With my move to Oklahoma City next week, that will put me closer to Colorado. .....

Our friend Q was just telling me a couple weeks ago about an interesting off road park near OKC.  I think it had "Disney" in the name, though not like the theme park.  Aparently this off road park is in the bottom of a reservoir that gets drained and flooded daily (or on some repeatable period).  Lots of great challenging rocks, mud, etc.....but DON'T GET STUCK!

Try and look it up.  Nothing like wheeling with a time crunch!

-Dave G.

#54430 - in reply to #54427
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1