Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Fireproof mat under Floorboard ?

Page 1 of 1 1
Fireproof mat under Floorboard ?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/29/2006 1:16 AM
Dr. Rob
Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): 280GE LWB, 280E Ambulance
Fireproof mat under Floorboard ?

So during last nights bodywork session I found a big thick white wooly mat (kaolin, asbestos, glass idunno fiber) glued to the underside of the floorboards, about midships on the car. Must be like 2' x 3' x 3/4".

Why is that there? Is this some sort of thermal / comfort protection thing? Noise reduction?

It also seems ideal for trapping and retaining moisture, which might be why areas around it are rusted...

(also noticed that this car features a lot of areas that seem designed to be ideal for crevice corrosion...)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/29/2006 12:31 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
RE: Fireproof mat under Floorboard ?

The answer to ALL of your questions is a definite YES.  I haven't found an ACTUAL problem with rust under any of the ones I've had occaision to remove or repair for whatever reason.  I think the thing gets hot enougth to evaporate any water that gets trapped.

It is some kind of crazy material that I think they mined from a meteorite that landed in Graz or something.  Seems like random glass fibers fixed together with some kind of gummy goop and then faced with aluminum.  Neat stuff as long as you don't touch or breathe it.

-Dave G.

#54659 - in reply to #54627
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1