Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Overide on the Light Switches

Page 1 of 1 1
Overide on the Light Switches
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/18/2006 2:44 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE
Overide on the Light Switches

Last wednesday, I had to leave the house early to go mto the office to rendezvous with a collegue to one of our power plants.  Obviously, I had to drive with my lights on at 6:45am.  For the whole day, I kept thinking I had turned off my main lights, but not my fog lamps (a bit foggy that morning in Oklahoma City).  My other thought was I did not recall seeing any lights on. 

Well about 10 hours later, I came back to my G.  Sure enough, the main light switch was switched off.  The fog lamp switch was still in the "on" position.  I did a quick test by turning on my main lights and starting the G up--everything started up fine.

Is there some kind of safety or overide that shuts everything if you forget to turn off the fog lamp or any other secondary switches?  Since then, I have remembered to make sure all switches are off.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 12/18/2006 3:36 PM
Inkblotz
Expert

Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo
RE: Overide on the Light Switches

Your fog lights may be wired into your ignition circuit. So when the ignition goes off so do the fog lights. Have you tried them with the ignition off?

Mark
#57045 - in reply to #57039
Author
Posted 12/18/2006 5:10 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Overide on the Light Switches

gwagen460swb - 12/18/2006 2:44 PM

Last wednesday, I had to leave the house early to go mto the office to rendezvous with a collegue to one of our power plants. Obviously, I had to drive with my lights on at 6:45am. For the whole day, I kept thinking I had turned off my main lights, but not my fog lamps (a bit foggy that morning in Oklahoma City). My other thought was I did not recall seeing any lights on.

Well about 10 hours later, I came back to my G. Sure enough, the main light switch was switched off. The fog lamp switch was still in the "on" position. I did a quick test by turning on my main lights and starting the G up--everything started up fine.

Is there some kind of safety or overide that shuts everything if you forget to turn off the fog lamp or any other secondary switches? Since then, I have remembered to make sure all switches are off.

I ass-u-me that your front fogs are activated by pulling the main headlight switch out one notch when the headlights are on. When you turn the headlight switch off, that one notch pullout is canceled. Ergo, turn the headlights off and the fogs turn off, too.
#57056 - in reply to #57039
Author
Posted 12/18/2006 5:13 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE
Re: Overide on the Light Switches

Yep! That sounds right Dutch. Thanks for the information. I was just checking to make sure.
#57059 - in reply to #57039
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1