Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : electric problem

Page 1 of 1 1
electric problem
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/18/2006 4:06 PM
shakir
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle(s): 1986 280 GEL manual, lpg.1991 300GEL AUTO
electric problem

unfortunately I have a somewhat an unusual problem. I dont have enough voltage coming to the drivers side tail light.Only about 4-5 volts. the rest of the unit flasher/reverse works fine. So i dont think it is an earth problem. The rest of the car is fine. fuse box is fine. exit from the fuse box for this tail light is about 12-13 volts. i had to do emergency connection from the passengers side tail light, although everything is working now I would like to get to the root of the problem, and repeair it properly.
to check the cable properly i need to remove the petrol tank and may be a lot more. Any ideas/ help will be much appreciated
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 12/18/2006 7:31 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
Easy big fella! :^)

.....to check the cable properly i need to remove the petrol tank and may be a lot more. ....
The chances of the root cause lying in the portion of the wire that's above the tank is very remote. The first place I'd suspect is the harness connection at the left rear of teh engine bay. Two nylon plugs there of 7 or 8 prongs each. Pull tehm apart, clean them up, grease the contacts, and put them back together. See if that helps. There's a CGW article on replacing those connectors with weatherpacs.

-Dave G.

PS -you're lucky you can measure a V drop.  I had a bugger of a problem with the tail lights on my SIIA 109" LR once.  The connections would show voltage just fine, but not pass current.  What a pain to finally track that one down.  Getting 12v at the socket, new bulb, and teh lamp doesn't light!!!!  Fargin' Lucas! 

Edited by hipine 12/18/2006 7:34 PM
#57082 - in reply to #57051
Author
Posted 1/12/2007 4:15 PM
shakir
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle(s): 1986 280 GEL manual, lpg.1991 300GEL AUTO
Re: electric problem

good news i have sorted it out. corroded connections in the towbar electrics socket.
I was really happy to find this such a simple thing to fix but caused lots of headscratching. I would suggest all 460 users to check their towbar connectors as well as the sockets under the bonnet. These are the weak points. apply some spray on the connectors change the corroded terminals
#59203 - in reply to #57051
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1