Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : My new G gearbox whiny

Page 1 of 1 1
My new G gearbox whiny
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/19/2006 3:59 PM
petermerle
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): W460 *1, W123 *2, W124
My new G gearbox whiny

Have gone to visit my second G being restored in Durban and have driven it for the first time since March and have now become aware of gearbox whine in gears 1,2,3 and not gear 4 ( 4 speed manual box ) . Could this be due to worn out bearings ? is it more likely gears 1,2 and 3 need replacing?
Peter
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 12/19/2006 6:56 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
RE: My new G gearbox whiny

Whine is more often related to gear mesh than to bearings....BUT, a bad bearing can throw gear mesh out of whack.  In your case, the whine in all gears except top might point to a countershaft bearing problem.  Since when in top gear, power is being transfered straight down the main shaft of the transmission with no loads taken by gears on the countershaft.

The trans in my 280 had a whine in 3rd.  After a little poking around I found it was because ONE of the two gears that mate to produce 3rd had been replaced without it's mate being done so the wear pattern on the old gear didn't mate particularly well with it's brand new counterpart.

I'd have to look at the section views of the trans again to see if there's a single countershaft gear that's in mesh for all 3 reductions, and not top.  If that's the case, that gear could be your culprit, but I thought the R/1 combo used a whole different path than 2/3.....Hmmm....

It's also possible that the trouble is at the rear output and that the torque multiplication in the lower gears can stress that bearing into whining where the straight through torque form the motor alone isn't a problem.  Is your whining any worse under hard acceleration?  At level cruising speed/load?  Under de-celeration?

-Dave G.

#57172 - in reply to #57154
Author
Posted 12/20/2006 12:19 AM
petermerle
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): W460 *1, W123 *2, W124
RE: My new G gearbox whiny

Your reasoning does make sense - Yes it whines even at very low torque levels .
Peter
#57195 - in reply to #57172
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1