Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Colorado Snowstorm

Page 1 of 1 1
Colorado Snowstorm
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/20/2006 5:16 PM
JamesG
Regular

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2011 G550, 2000 L.C.,1997 L.C.1987 FJ60
Colorado Snowstorm

The Governor declared a disaster emergency for the state because of the snowstorm that is slamming the front range. I thought it was interesting that a state trooper told the Gov the only way to reach stranded motorists is with Humvees ummmm? Thought I would share that with the board. Hipine, I hope you are hangin in there
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 12/20/2006 9:07 PM
clavos
Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 1983 MB 300td, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16, 1984 MB 300GD
RE: Colorado Snowstorm

God I wish my G was running. At least I can't be expected to make it to work tomorrow.
#57264 - in reply to #57255
Author
Posted 12/20/2006 9:34 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

Thanks for the thoughts!

I actually hadn't watched the news or weather reports since Sunday, so my first clue that something was going on was getting a note from a lady at work that she was cancelling a meeting scheduled for tomorrow due to the impending storm.  I said ??WHAT?? and pulled up a weatehr satelite view and figured it out.  Classic "up-SLOP" blizzard.

It was only an hour or so later that the secretary came by and said they were closing the building and really wanted everyone to go home.  You guys know how dedicated I am, so you know my response to her was, "You don't have to tell me twice!"  As my first arm was already in my coat!

I was out of there by 10:15 and figure I got the jump on traffic.  I cruised out US 285 at about 30 mph all the way.  At one point early in the going I was behind a guy doing about 25, which would have been fine with me except that the speed was right between 2nd and 3rd for the 300GD trans I'm using now.  I ws either lugging it in 3rd, or winding it out in 2nd.  So after a bit when I figured the left lane was passable I rolled by him in 3rd.  A couple trucks followed me, but they fell back and I had the road with 6" of packing snow on it more or less to myself for 25 miles or so 'till I caught a plow coming up out of Schafer's crossing.  Went around him and pretty much motored home to arrive about 11:30.

In hindsight, the roads really were pretty horrible, but the G handled everything without putting a wheel wrong, and getting out ahead of the traffic was the biggest bonus.  Of course with snow as with a lot of off roading, you all know it's less about the truck than the tires and this fresh set of BFG Commercial Traction's chewed up that snow like it was hardly there.

Got a couple feet on the deck now and they say it won't stop for another 18 hours.  I'm settling in with some chicken soup and good Scotch Whisky till the roads are clear on Friday!

All the best!

-Dave G. 

#57266 - in reply to #57255
Author
Posted 12/20/2006 9:41 PM
T.Schuhe
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1985 LWB 300GD five speed

Dave,

You draw a perfect picture of the best of mid-US snowstorms. Thank you! Congers up many great snow storm memories. Thanks. Enjoy the soup and scotch.

May I be among the first to wish you and family a wonderful Christmas.

Tom and TJ

#57267 - in reply to #57266
Author
Posted 12/20/2006 10:47 PM
JamesG
Regular

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2011 G550, 2000 L.C.,1997 L.C.1987 FJ60

Dave, Glad you made it home. And to think you did it with zero electronic gizmos Twenty-six years old and still going! Enjoy the scotch, and wait to see what tomorrow brings, and a Merry Christmas
#57271 - in reply to #57255
Author
Posted 12/21/2006 1:28 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.

hipine - 12/20/2006 3:34 AM

Of course with snow as with a lot of off roading, you all know it's less about the truck than the tires and this fresh set of BFG Commercial Traction's chewed up that snow like it was hardly there.

Got a couple feet on the deck now and they say it won't stop for another 18 hours. I'm settling in with some chicken soup and good Scotch Whisky till the roads are clear on Friday!

All the best!

-Dave G.

Hi Dave,

don't give ALL the credit to the "G"...... .... to my knowledge, about 70% is DRIVER capability and only 30% is mechanics/tire-traction, especially in "NON Gismo-Electroniks" vehicle like our 460.

I recall one time in Lesotho we got caught in a snow storm and a fellow off-roader "Cliffhanger" (nickname) was stuck on a slight uphill, he was slipping and sliding all over the place (Nissan 4x4) blocking the road. He then left the car and said that it was impossible to get through. I took over and showed him that with minimum of accelerator and carefully reading the wheel traction he could travel up the hill without any problems ....and so he did!

So, you have the "Best" vehicle for the snow , but don't forget, you're a good and experienced driver and that's what counts!!!!

I sincerely hope that the snowstorm will continue until after New Year to give you guys some extra "Paid-Leave".

Enjoy the festivities and your "Single-Malt".

BTW, Did you get the "Dutch - P G C Hajenius" I think that they would fit very well in the snowy scenario. Give our best to your Family.

amzimmy
#57280 - in reply to #57266
Author
Posted 12/21/2006 8:42 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8
Re: Colorado Snowstorm

Enjoy the white Christmas. We here in the Northeast US are frustrated at our lack of holiday weather! 50 degrees F! Bah-humbug.
#57296 - in reply to #57255
Author
Posted 12/21/2006 9:18 AM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE

JamesG - 12/20/2006 5:16 PM The Governor declared a disaster emergency for the state because of the snowstorm that is slamming the front range. I thought it was interesting that a state trooper told the Gov the only way to reach stranded motorists is with Humvees ummmm? Thought I would share that with the board. Hipine, I hope you are hangin in there ;)

Funny you mention that.  Last night on the ten o'clock news, the weatherman showed film footage of Denver.  There was an H2 that was in a fender bender at an intersection.  And then we saw a black 5-door 463 G driving with no traction problems while other cars struggled on the same stretch.  My wife and I said, "Wow!" and gave high fives.  Our hats off to the G owners in Denver. 

#57301 - in reply to #57255
Author
Posted 12/21/2006 11:01 AM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Colorado Snowstorm

i wish we could get some snow
#57308 - in reply to #57255
Author
Posted 12/21/2006 11:36 AM
sjtymko
G-Class Photo Host

Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, 2009 B200

Up here in Alberta, we are having the snowiest winter we have had in years.  November was the second snowiest on record and Dec is shaping up to be similar.  The snow piles on the side of my driveway are taller than my Jetta.  The firepit in my backyard has disappeared and has become a serious tripping hazard when crossing the yard to take out the garbage, which, by the way, is seriously difficult given the thigh-deep snow.  This is a stark difference to the "brown" Christmas of the last few years.

Hang in there Dave and the rest of the Colorado crew, it will melt eventually:wave:

Steve

#57310 - in reply to #57255
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1