Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Ideas for internal Hi Lift mounting?

Page 2 of 2 12
Ideas for internal Hi Lift mounting?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/6/2007 12:04 AM
elevatorbernie
Expert

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 1989 280GE
Re: Ideas for internal Hi Lift mounting?

Dave P - 1/5/2007 12:08 AM

elevatorbernie - 1/5/2007 5:45 AM

Try pulling out those anchor spikes with a bottle jack :biggrin:

That's why you carry one extra spike.

Dave P
I'm not sure I understand, you pound these spikes fully in then use the extra one to pull them out after your done...manually by hand? You guys must be strong. I asumed you would use hi-lift to jack them out.
#58574 - in reply to #58469
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/6/2007 10:43 AM
4x4abc

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 02 G500

in the modern world we are using a Pull-Pal anchor when we need something to hook onto when nothing else is around (rocks, trees etc). Have been using mine for 15 years with great successs. Most of the time it can be extracted witrh one hand - rarely you would need both.
Used it frequently when I was part of the Mount Washington Expedition: http://www.4x4abc.com/Carlos_adventures/Mount_Washington.html
http://www.pullpal.com/
#58595 - in reply to #58574
Author
Posted 1/6/2007 12:52 PM
Dave P
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s):

4x4abc - 1/6/2007 3:43 PM

in the modern world we are using a Pull-Pal anchor when we need something to hook onto when nothing else is around (rocks, trees etc). Have been using mine for 15 years with great successs. Most of the time it can be extracted witrh one hand - rarely you would need both.
Used it frequently when I was part of the Mount Washington Expedition: http://www.4x4abc.com/Carlos_adventures/Mount_Washington.html
http://www.pullpal.com/

Have you ever used one in the desert? It looks like a rip-off of the old Brit Army spade anchor,and,your blade looks very narrow.

Love the Range Rovers by the way.

Dave P

Edited by Dave P 1/6/2007 12:54 PM
#58600 - in reply to #58595
Author
Posted 1/6/2007 1:06 PM
BCFdealer

Date registered: Dec 1899

In it the desert its a good option using your spare wheel under the sand ( 1 meter deep) with the anchor fixex with two or three cable turns arround the wheel . It wiil make a lot of resistance inclusive in soft sand.

There exist a lot of anchors models too.

(DSC02022.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02022.JPG (124KB - 5 downloads)
#58603 - in reply to #58600
Author
Posted 1/6/2007 2:03 PM
Dave P
Veteran

Vehicle(s):

BCFdealer - 1/6/2007 6:06 PM

In it the desert its a good option using your spare wheel under the sand ( 1 meter deep) with the anchor fixex with two or three cable turns arround the wheel . It wiil make a lot of resistance inclusive in soft sand.

There exist a lot of anchors models too.

Yep,it's a technique called a Baulk Holdfast,I've used it many times,and taught others how to do it,there are lots of variations on what you can use to bury,but looking at your picture I don't see the reason to put the chain,or wire over a roller,the whole idea is to get as straight and low a pull as posible from the buried holdfast,to the winch. Looking at your model,the wheel will pop out of the ground?

Dave P

#58606 - in reply to #58603
Author
Posted 1/6/2007 2:31 PM
BCFdealer

Date registered: Dec 1899

Its a instruction book pic....So its shows the situation into the sand as an example . I only use this method once and in beach dunes course training . In this day the wheel went out the sand once. But in the second time the truck was free to ride away . it was very thin beach sand.
We did not have the cross key ( like the pic ) or anchor , we used wheel nut wrench.
About the roller i think the book writer was trying to have a 45 degrees angle to pull the hold wheel having the major sand resistance without wheel rotation . Anyway i never saw o roller like that on the beach!

#58611 - in reply to #58606
Author
Posted 1/7/2007 12:38 AM
4x4abc

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 02 G500

Dave,

I have use the Pull-Pal in almost any material - mud, sand (including quicksand), snow and rocks. I have two different blades (wide and narrow). It folds easy, stores easy and works like nothing else. The army uses them to pull out Hummers. If it is good enough for heavy Hummers - it'll be good enough for almost anything else.

Tire in burried in sand? Works good in instructional manuals. Fails in real life - I have tried everything books offer during the last 20 years. Plus, imagine digging a deep enough hole in dense material. That's a killer.

Edited by 4x4abc 1/7/2007 12:40 AM
#58664 - in reply to #58600
Author
Posted 1/7/2007 3:06 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

Sorry 'bout that.  I missed the fact you were talking 463.  No room under the rear seat for the Hi-lift on those anyway.  The factory bottle jack is pretty darned good as long as it's not leaking.  To make it (and the hi-lift too for that matter) even better, carry a 12" square sheet of 3/4" plywod to serve as an extended base to help keep the jack level, stable, and on top of the surface.  A little sheet of plywood is easier to find a space for than a Hi-Lift.  :^)

All the best!

-Dave G.

#58714 - in reply to #58466
Author
Posted 1/8/2007 11:07 AM
NA450

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 w463

thanks very much dave, i do have one of those in the kit. appreciate you bringing it back.

p
#58780 - in reply to #58373
Author
Posted 1/8/2007 11:58 AM
Dave P
Veteran

Vehicle(s):

4x4abc - 1/7/2007 5:38 AM

Dave,

I have use the Pull-Pal in almost any material - mud, sand (including quicksand), snow and rocks. I have two different blades (wide and narrow). It folds easy, stores easy and works like nothing else. The army uses them to pull out Hummers. If it is good enough for heavy Hummers - it'll be good enough for almost anything else.

Tire in burried in sand? Works good in instructional manuals. Fails in real life - I have tried everything books offer during the last 20 years. Plus, imagine digging a deep enough hole in dense material. That's a killer.

Hi,Harald

The guys I taught were soldiers,as part of a vehicle self-recovery course,the vehicle in question was an 8 tonne Bedford TM truck.
A pre-requisite to passing was to extract said truck from deep sand using this method and others,yes it took a lot of effort,but it worked everytime for them.

In a combat situation,supplying ammo to artillery gun lines,I'm afraid "sophisticated" things like,a spade anchor,or your Pull-Pall take up space,that could be used for something else!

Dave P

P.S. I still liked the Range Rovers............
#58782 - in reply to #58664
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12