Page 1 of 1 1
Inner Wings
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/17/2007 8:57 PM
jonnyboy

Date registered: Dec 1899
Inner Wings

Hi guys, new forum user here, awesome place!!!!

I have outstanding issues with one of my Gwagens, an '89 280GEL. She's undergone an engine swap with a 280CE 190bhp motor, she was dead when I got her.....I'm having, ahem, issues with oil ressure sender switches and oil cooler hoses/oil coolers/radiators.......basically she appears to be cobbled together from various parts which I have the job (!) of putting back together. The opil cooler won't fir onto the side of the radiator as the fixings don't line up, the bottom oil filter to cooler hose appears to have the wrong end on it (it's cranked at 90 degrees, main dealer says it should be straight, and the oil pressure sender switch (off the original "cooked" engine complete with filter housing & pipes etc) only works when it wants to.........I'm looking to replace the switch/sender (which I should have done prior refitting) :banghead:, the hose, poss the cooler and radiator, but i'm desperate NOT to have to re-pull the engine..............

Having a look underneath, were it not for the inner wing i'd have perfect access....as my inner wing is holed under the battery tray anyway, does it just unbolt, or is it welded to the main bodyshell? I can see quite a few fixings, but don't really want to start a full strip out i its a wild goose chase, so to speak.....
Many many thanks.....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/17/2007 9:32 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Inner Wings

Welcome!

Check with your fellow countryman, Roughneck. He's had more of those things apart than anyone else of us here.

Please fill in your "My Profile". Give us the year and model of your G and where you're located. This helps all of us to help you better.
#64222 - in reply to #64220
Author
Posted 2/17/2007 9:57 PM
martin
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 99 G500 95 E300D 95 R1100GS 06 K1200R

jonnyboy ... "use the search" as Obi Wan Kenobi once said.

I'm recently well versed in this since I have completely dissassembled my cabrio as part of a little restoration job. The inner wings just unbolt from the firewall/bulkhead after you have removed the outer wings. The nuts that are on the bulkhead may be well rusted, but heating them to a dull red and letting them cool enough to touch is the trick to getting them to come off easily. Check out this thread I posted a couple days ago and reference the pictures.

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=6220&pos...

-Martin
#64224 - in reply to #64220
Author
Posted 2/18/2007 1:19 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

Ah yes!  One of the little known joys of the M110 - replacing the oil pressure switch!  Have fun, and become wise in the ways of the "crow's foot wrench"  I forget the size, but it's bigger than comes in most crow's foot sets, so you'll probably have to get it separately, or else make yourself a bespoke wrench using a donor and some welding gear.  With a littel patience the switch can be done from above.

Just hope you don't ever have to go after the idle air bypass valve.

Good luck!  and welcome to the forum.

-Dave G.

#64257 - in reply to #64220
Author
Posted 2/18/2007 6:42 PM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

Johnny boy,Welcome, I have oil cooler rad and hoses spare on a dead engine, but get a local hose doctor to make them up in flexi. if your cooler won,t mate up to your rad you may have the wrong rad, post some pics lets see what you are up against, Ahh yes the oil pressure sender switch, now there is a challenge, once youve got the screw out of the end to remove the cable a 22mil ring and keep turing it a flat at a time from underneath, once loose get your hand in there, replace with sender that has a push fit connector. good luck

Edited by roughneck 2/18/2007 6:43 PM
#64282 - in reply to #64220
Author
Posted 2/18/2007 7:30 PM
jonnyboy

Thanks all. I think i do have the wrong rad......but i also think the bottom cooler hose is wrong, too. it had a 90 deg bend elbow joint, whereas according to EPC it should be straight. The problem is that I cannot see how to get the cooler hose off the filter housing, so I'm gonna take the inner & outer wing off for access.........really dont want to pull this engine yet again...........
#64284 - in reply to #64220
Author
Posted 2/19/2007 4:14 AM
roughneck
Expert

I find it easier to pull the engine and gearbox together than taking off the inner and outer wing.
You are going to have to change the rad anyway, dont undo the short prop bolts, just mark it up and pop it out. They are fitted like that in production, then you can easily sort out all those irritating bits in no time.
I have all the parts you need.

PS with fore knowledge I could have brought them down when I was at BenzWorld yesterday.

Edited by roughneck 2/19/2007 4:21 AM
#64310 - in reply to #64220
Author
Posted 2/20/2007 7:21 AM
jonnyboy

Roughneck, thanks for that. Shame about Sunday, sadly I couldnt go as theyre both off the road at the moment.
Where in the UK are you - I prob need a rad & the cooler hose, poss a cooler too, and a fan shroud (thats gone as well ).
I agree with the sentiment of pulling the engine & box, but a) it's a borrowed crane that needs to go back, b) i have no garage suitable to work in, c) i'm on a gravel drive, on a slight upslope - you have no idea the hassle we had getting the engine & box back in to start with..... so i'll do what I can to avoid re-pulling them, and d) the inner wing needs a patch on it anyway, and I dont weld, my welder isnt mobile, neither is the car........I'm sure you can see where I'm going with that........
Anyway I'll wait to hear from you.......
Cheers all
#64437 - in reply to #64220
Author
Posted 2/20/2007 7:22 AM
jonnyboy

Re: Inner Wings

PS wish I'd known about the short prop bolts.......grrrrrrrrrrrr
#64438 - in reply to #64220
Author
Posted 2/20/2007 7:28 AM
roughneck
Expert

I am up North near junc 16 M1, I have all those parts either on the shelf or on dead Gs all second hand of course. I can see why you would want to avoid pulling the engine.
#64439 - in reply to #64438
Author
Posted 2/24/2007 3:49 PM
jonnyboy

OK just an update on this one.......Wing off, no problem, Inner wing off, no real problem (although a PITA with all the cabling etc), gives lovely access to sender unit, and, after removing the inlet manifold bracing strut, gives super access to remove the offending oil cooler pipe......... :).
On Monday I will be ordering an electric PSI Gauge & pod, complete with an appropriate new sender unit, the location of the pod not yet finalised !!!!

On a separate note, the sender switch on mine was 24mm not 22, guess they are all different?

Oh, and I think I've found my footwell leak - a "dislocated" bonnet release cable grommet in the battery tray area - I doubt I would have seen it with the inner wing still in place.........which will be on its way to a welder on Monday, too
#65005 - in reply to #64220
Author
Posted 2/24/2007 4:40 PM
roughneck
Expert

Good going
#65011 - in reply to #64220
Author
Posted 2/24/2007 5:00 PM
jonnyboy

It will be when I get a call from you my friend
#65015 - in reply to #64220
Author
Posted 3/2/2007 3:09 PM
jonnyboy

Progress report - new oil cooler hose fitted is 1.5" shorter than the one i had made up, now the oil cooler fits okay....., and oil pressure gauge fittings all installed ready for the wiring etc.

For the gauge, I've fitted a screw in T piece about an inch long in place of the sender unit, this has 3 M8 ports on it (comes with two blanking plugs and a back to back connector). This is then connected to an 182 braided hose, on the other end of which is a 3 port connector, one to take the braided hose, one is an M14 thread to take a new oil pressure switch (albeit not an MB one, an aftermarket "early warning 25psi one)), and the last port an m8 to take the switch that feeds the gauge, this means that I will have both the original dash light and an electric PSI gauge, mounted in a nice neat pod, final location to be decided......

All for around £60, and a load of hassle, but I reckon its an investment.......

(bulkhead 023.jpg)

(bulkhead 025.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bulkhead 023.jpg (74KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments bulkhead 025.jpg (78KB - 2 downloads)
#65682 - in reply to #65015
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1