Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Questions about G-500s in California

Page 1 of 1 1
Questions about G-500s in California
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/18/2007 1:41 AM
Linda in Santa Cruz

Date registered: Dec 1899
Questions about G-500s in California

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/images/emoticons/wave.gif
Hi — I'm a new member of the forum thinking of purchasing a used 2003-05 G-500. I would like to figure out if G ownership is practical or impractical.

Can any members with California experience around the greater San Jose/Monterey areas give information on how easy or hard it will be to maintain a G-wagon (2002-2005) in Santa Cruz, CA.? I'd like to know which dealerships have proven to have the truly knowledgeable mechanics, etc. before I buy. Is there a significant wait for G parts here on the U.S. west coast?

The local Santa Cruz 4-Wheel Drive Club seems to be mainly Jeeps. Is there a group with active central/North California G owners, or are you all just loners?

Is there a G driving school?

Thanks for any help you have time to give,

Linda

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/18/2007 4:41 AM
DesertStar
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500
RE: Questions about G-500s in California

Welcome aboard Linda. I used to live nearby in Half Moon Bay and 4 years ago in Monterey. Might want to do a search for 2002 or 2003 G here on the forum as they were known to have some issues here and there while the 2004 and later seemed to have the bugs worked out. There are at least 6 or so members on the forum in the Bay area that may be able to guide you with regard to dealerships and shops and a few who would more than likely help you in your search. I recommend doing some research on the following sites to become familiar with the Gwagen:
www.clubgwagen.com
http://www.4x4abc.com/G-Class/?54,25
http://www.mercedesgwagen.galeon.com/index.html
http://www.g4rce.net/engl/models.html

I have found that parts availability is not that far off of owning any other European automobile, the sources with the older models are more limited than the later models. Prior to 2002 the Gwagen was known as a grey market as Mercedes Benz USA did not sell them untill 2002, those of which seem to appeal to you.
You will also find that the Gwagen is not economical as its size may suggest....more like a Suburban or Excursion as it almost weighs the same.
All members of this forum are very helpful and entusiastic to others in keeping the G alive with helpful maintenance advice and providing sources for whatever your G needs may be whether you are in USA,Australia,South Africa, United Kingdom, Germany, Thailand and most anywhere else in the world, there seem to be P3 members there and in a weird way somewhat family. With that said, we could hardly be thought of as loners.

Have you had the opportunity to drive one yet ?
Keep us posted of your findings.
Mike
#64235 - in reply to #64230
Author
Posted 2/18/2007 12:20 PM
clubgwagen.com
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 300GE Cabriolet
Re: Questions about G-500s in California

They are highly economical in regards to your safety should some unattentive bay area driver hit you. And for that, they are worth it!

We can service your car up in San Rafael, marin county if something major comes up. Basic stuff you can go to the dealer for, but they will tear you on the parts pricing on many items.

Should you get one, and need assistance or contacts for service, contact me offline at mserpe@yahoo.com

Regards,
Mike Serpe
#64246 - in reply to #64230
Author
Posted 2/18/2007 12:24 PM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

Hi Linda,

Welcome to the home of G fanatics international. Mike covered your question very well and gave you the 4x4abc link, Harald's website. Harald teaches people how to drive off road vehicles and does workshops. (A G driving school) Look around on his website and you will see a schedule of his classes. He teaches them in California out of Georgetown, not far from Placerville and La Paz, Mexico. He is a great teacher, owns G's and is one of the most knowledgabe G heads on the planet. Email him and he will respond.

-Dai
#64247 - in reply to #64230
Author
Posted 2/19/2007 1:48 AM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

search "death valley" and you'll see at least one trip there. There was another but i think it's over on benzworld. I've been on two and there's been more for sure to other places. Not super active myself, and there isn't a "club" per se, but people do go on trips from time to time, and they're open invite, and posted here and on benzworld.

I think they're very practical considering they are technically a mid sized SUV and parallel parking one or pulling into a tight space will illuminate that it's really not a very large SUV.... but you can still fit a LOT of stuff in it compared to a toureg or any other similar foot print.

Service, can be done at dealers....
#64304 - in reply to #64230
Author
Posted 2/19/2007 9:17 PM
michel bertin
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): '02 G500, '14 G550

Linda in Santa Cruz - 2/17/2007 10:41 PM

Can any members with California experience around the greater San Jose/Monterey areas give information on how easy or hard it will be to maintain a G-wagon (2002-2005) in Santa Cruz, CA.? I'd like to know which dealerships have proven to have the truly knowledgeable mechanics, etc. before I buy. Is there a significant wait for G parts here on the U.S. west coast?

Hi Linda, I have 2 G's, one 2002 and one 2005, and live in the Valley. I have always got them serviced in Park Avenue Motors in Palo Alto. They have been maintaining Mercedes exclusively for 35+ years and know how those were built in the 60's and 70's, which helps a lot to work on G's. I can even recommend their best technician for G's there, who is not only very good but loves G's too. Parts are as available as any other modern Mercedes --usually 24 hrs; as Mike says, they will not be cheap, as with any other Mercedes.

Michel
mjbertin@gmail.com
#64394 - in reply to #64230
Author
Posted 2/21/2007 9:54 AM
Linda in Santa Cruz

Thank you, Mike, for your replies.

Yes, I did drive the G-500 in Santa Clara the other evening. Living on a 350' dirt driveway, black is not the best color for me (LOL), so I won't be buying that particular car.

Apart from the fact that the agency had locked its only key in the car and a locksmith was needed
(a timely caution to the prospective owner), I *loved* it, and consider myself on the right path as I continue my search.

My search on the P3 forum turned up that the 02/03 problems were electrical, but I didn't find more than the mention that 04 avoided the problems. Are they constant and recurring, or something that is
fixed once on the 02 or 03, then no longer a bother?

Thanks also for the websites -- I checked them all out, and made some bookmarks.

- Linda
#64586 - in reply to #64235
Author
Posted 2/21/2007 9:58 AM
Linda in Santa Cruz

Thanks, Dai, for your reply.

I bookmarked Harald's website, and will likely end up there. I do not intend to off-road alone,
seems possily dangerous, and in any case, would like to do group training and trips to begin.

- Linda
#64587 - in reply to #64247
Author
Posted 2/21/2007 9:59 AM
Linda in Santa Cruz

Thanks, Mike S. for your reply. It is good to know where the expert mechanics in No. Califonia are.

- Linda
#64588 - in reply to #64246
Author
Posted 2/21/2007 10:01 AM
Linda in Santa Cruz

Thanks, yes, I would like to go to Death Valley after I have my off-road training. -- Linda
#64589 - in reply to #64304
Author
Posted 2/21/2007 10:06 AM
Linda in Santa Cruz

Thanks Michel - Palo Alto is pretty close, just about 1 hour away. Thanks for the tip. - Linda
#64590 - in reply to #64394
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1