OT: Sierra Club
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/19/2007 5:35 PM
Ducks

Date registered: Dec 1899
OT: Sierra Club

Warning: No G content

I’m new to off-roading.  What is your opinion of the Sierra Club?

So this should probably be in the off-topic section but since I doubt too many people from here frequent there, I thought I would at least initially ask the question here.  This is the most knowledgeable and friendly online off-road group I know of.  Of course people are here because of a common interest in Gs and appear to span the political spectrum (which is kinda cool). 

I’m a member of a conservation group but want to do more to help protect the environment and habitat.  I was thinking about joining the Sierra Club because they are a strong environmental lobby but also seem friendly to hunting.  But then I read their policy on off-road vehicles.  Doesn’t seem too friendly.  So are they completely against all off-road use or do you think their target is more focused? I used to work for the Forest Service and “uncontrolled” off-road use is a major issue.   Just trying to gain a perspective on the politics of off-road use.  Any recommendations on groups to look into?

Cheers,
Chad

Edited by Ducks 2/19/2007 5:48 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/19/2007 5:54 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: OT: Sierra Club

Ducks - 2/19/2007 5:35 PM

Warning: No G content
I’m new to off-roading. What is your opinion of the Sierra Club?
So this should probably be in the off-topic section but since I doubt too many people from here frequent there, I thought I would at least initially ask the question here. This is the most knowledgeable and friendly online off-road group I know of. Of course people are here because of a common interest in Gs and appear to span the political spectrum (which is kinda cool).
I’m a member of a conservation group but want to do more to help protect the environment and habitat. I was thinking about joining the Sierra Club because they are a strong environmental lobby but also seem friendly to hunting. But then I read their policy on off-road vehicles. Doesn’t seem too friendly. So are they completely against all off-road use or do you think their target is more focused? I used to work for the Forest Service and “uncontrolled” off-road use is a major issue. Just trying to gain a perspective on the politics of off-road use. Any recommendations on groups to look into?

Cheers,
Chad

I'll let this one stay here for now, and respond.

Many years ago I was a member and the Chairman of the Sierra Club's Atlanta Group. Their motto used to be: "Not blind opposition to progress, but opposition to blind progress"; and they were strictly involved in environmental issues related to the great outdoors.

I am no longer a member. This happened when their motto somehow got reversed, and they started to stand in opposition against anything and everything that could be considered growth. Today, they're basically anti-capitalistic in most of their stands, including the use of motorized transport off of paved roads. I can't support them.

We need to be careful not to take this thread off in one political direction or another. If it strays too far, look for it in the OT Forum.
#64375 - in reply to #64369
Author
Posted 2/19/2007 6:17 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

Ducks - 2/19/2007 3:35 PM

..... Any recommendations on groups to look into?.....

You might look into the Blue Ribbon Coalition to see if their pilosophy is any more in keeping with your own than is that of the Sierra Club.  Not an endoresement, just a possibility.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

Maybe also check out:

http://www.delalbright.com/index2.html

Good luck!  If at all possible, the best thing you can do is get out there, use the land that's available and help keep it nice by leaving it better than you found it and setting an example for others to follow.  There's too many ways that "donations" can be used for things you don't support, no matter who you give them to.  Your own actions are one thing you (should) have total control over.  That's my view of it anyway.

-Dave G.

#64379 - in reply to #64369
Author
Posted 2/19/2007 6:36 PM
Adoni
Expert

Vehicle(s): '00 G500, '15 C300 4Matic, '06 L322 G4

I sent the following message to Chad by PM and he has asked that I post it on the board. My opinions are the same as anyone elses, opinions.

I consider myself to be conscious of the environment and have a deep respect for it as I have spent my whole life enjoying the outdoors. Most of my most vivid memories and the bonds I have created with family and friends have occurres in the great outdoors. My problem with groups such as the Sierra Club is that it has become a business. Many of the ordinary members are reasonable people, but groups are generally run by the fringes. My personal business is frowned upon by the Sierra Club, yet many of them forget that they would have no place to live if it weren't for me. Worse yet is that most of them live in the exact type of house they purport to hate. My biggest problem with most environmental groups is they want change and they want everyone but them to pay for it. Also, many environmental lawsuits have more to do with lining a few individuals pockets than actual environmental change. You would be disgusted if I told you how the real system of how environmental lawsuits work. I'll tell you this much, most environmental suits are settled out of court, not because the parties getting sued are wrong, but because environmental lawsuits protect the environmental groups of having to pay the fees of the parties they sue if they lose. Thus, most groups that get sued find it cheaper to settle with environmental groups out of court, rather than fight the good fight and win in court. In the end, most environmental suits only results in the attorneys making big bucks. That money is then taken to file the next suit and make a few more bucks. I know of a very influential figure in the Sierra Club who joked with the guy remodeling his house that because of the rare and expensive woods he chose to panel the walls of his house in, he couldn't have too many of his friends over. Sounds like practicing what you preach huh...? I don't want to make all environmental groups come off as sounding bad because as I said before, reasonable people do exist, many of them are my friends, these individuals are open to ideas and discussion, but I abhor the lunatic fringe who always seems to grab control and hijack a group working for a just cause. My following thoughts and opinions are not exclusive to the Sierra Club and my opinions should not be construed as pertaining to the Sierra Club exclusively or solely, they just happen to be the group mentioned in this topic. As I mention in my post, I am a reasonable and open person who believes that change is a result of the mixing of ideas and opinions in a respectful and intelligent manner so I truly hope to see the opinions of many others posted on this board in the following days.
#64381 - in reply to #64369
Author
Posted 2/20/2007 1:31 PM
clubgwagen.com
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 300GE Cabriolet
Re: OT: Sierra Club

you are dead on!

they are mostly based local to me, and I can tell you that their board of directors is a bunch of rats that are looking for stepping stones into CA left wing politics. They are total hypocryts to the nth degree.

Way back when, they were, as Dutch said. But that is no longer.
They are not interested in logical thought, just woodlands tyranny.

if I recall there's a song about this land being yours and mine, they very much seek to change that, and eliminate our rites, that us americans have to enjoy our public lands with multi use access.

they brainwash little high schoolers to do their dirty work, its real sad actually.

#64479 - in reply to #64369
Author
Posted 2/20/2007 2:52 PM
Ducks

Date registered: Dec 1899

I guess to kind of summarize.  Every organization has its business side that can conflict with its grass roots ethics.  A group tries to market itself to as many people as possible without alienating its base.  Have to weigh the good and the bad to see where you end up.

I don't completely buy in to the political process but I am looking for ways to be active.  I will teach my kids respect for nature and talk with people I meet, which I guess is how things really change.  But since I am new to being out on the trails, I didn't know what the impression is of this group.  I think Harald mentioned in passing the groups name on another post.  So I was curious what people's opinions were. 

Thanks Dutch for letting this thread start here.

#64489 - in reply to #64369
Author
Posted 2/20/2007 11:29 PM
Nutz
Expert

Re: OT: Sierra Club

Yes,the Sierra Club killed all the magic Alaska had to offer which is why I moved to Hawaii!!
#64551 - in reply to #64369
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1