Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : G-500 Shopping: Turning circle, color and 'Classic 25' questions

Page 1 of 1 1
G-500 Shopping: Turning circle, color and 'Classic 25' questions
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/21/2007 3:18 PM
Linda in Santa Cruz

Date registered: Dec 1899
G-500 Shopping: Turning circle, color and 'Classic 25' questions

I liked my drive of the G-500. Only one thing confuses me — the turning circle is 43.5 feet, while
other SUVs that are only a little shorter (for example Xterra) turn in ±37 feet. Since the G-500 is a relatively narrow truck, why is the circle so much greater than I am used to?

I am narrowing my selection of Gs, focusing on the 2004 and 2005 model years, and under ±40K
miles. Since MB has not sent me the brochure on the G after several months of waiting, I have a few questions, if anyone has time to answer.

- one '04 description mentions "manual shift mode". The '03 G-500 I drove was of course automatic, and I didn't see (or hear about) the "manual shift mode". Is this something all the recent Gs have (not mentioned in anyone else's list of features), or something special on that one truck? What is it?

- paint colors. Living on a >300' dirt driveway, I need a color that does not show the dirt so quickly. The black is priced MUCH lower than silvers and grays. Given the location of most of the cars for
sale, I may end up purchasing an out-of-state one and transporting it out to me here in California,
trusting the condition assessment of the dealership, checking the record. The problem is to be sure the color will be OK if I cannot see it (or one like it).

- Does it make sense to buy black at a low price and repaint to silver, or would that significantly
compromise the resale value?

- Silver cars are listed a 'silver' or 'brilliant silver'. Are these actually 2 different colors? ('Pewter
silver' looks darker, so I think here that difference is clear.)

- Grays. I see G-500s pics in light gray, 'dolphin gray' (=medium blue-gray?), and a charcoal
(sometimes called 'tectite gray'). Some of the 'blue' trucks appear also as blue-gray (similar
to 'dolphin gray'), and I wonder if the 'blue' and the 'gray' are in this case the same color. Is
there someone in the P3 forum who is able to straighten me out so I can be sure what color
an out-of-state vehicle really is? Are these colors the same as color chips I can pick up at a
MB dealer in a brochure for 'normal' MB models, or look at on a whole car, or are they unique
to the G-500 series?

Regarding the 2004 'Classic 25' edition, are ALL the 2004 G-500s 'Classic 25s', or only the ones where you see the badge in the listing or hear that the vehicle is a 'Classic 25'?

Thanks for any help you can give a total newbie on these queries.

- Linda in Santa Cruz

-
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/21/2007 3:43 PM
DesertStar
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500
RE: G-500 Shopping: Turning circle, color and 'Classic 25' questions

Hello again, I am not that well versed with the newer models, but I do tend to agree that black could be an issue....but than again most anything except silver and white was an issue with the morning fog, wet coastal roads etc. There seems to be 4 shades of silver/grey and black. My favorites are Alabaster white and Bordeaux red.

You might want to do a search on Ebay for "mercedes G' or "g-class" and you can see many different Gs for sale and get some ideas as to what you like.

I do have a 2005 Mercedes-Benz G-Class brochure you can have if you are interested in that model year and its options etc.
Mike
#64626 - in reply to #64620
Author
Posted 2/21/2007 3:50 PM
d34x4

Re: G-500 Shopping: Turning circle, color and 'Classic 25' questions

My understanding is that the permanent 4 wheel drive system of the later G's cause it to have a larger turning radius, whereas the Xterra you mentioned may turn that sharp- but only in two wheel drive.

Repainting a vehicle is way too much of a hassle to do right- you don't want to open your door or hood and see a different color, at least I wouldn't.

good luck

The "manual mode" is the same as a triptronic- you tap the gear selector left to downshift and right to upshift.

Edited by d34x4 2/21/2007 3:51 PM
#64628 - in reply to #64620
Author
Posted 2/21/2007 3:51 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE

If you are looking for a silver G, then I would stick to finding a silver G rather than any other color. From what i understand, repaint decreases the value. Plus, you have to contend with all the trim, fender flares, and other items on the exterior that have to be removed before painting and put back on afterwards. I know when I shopped for Mercedes sedans in 2001, I noticed on price sticker that black is a standard no charge color. Whereas, any other colors was extra. I am not sure if that might be the case today, especially on the G. You might want to play with the MBUSA vehicle builder to see for yourself. Again, if you are looking for silver, stick with looking for silver.

No, blue and grey are different. I have only seen tektile grey Gs. If I remember in a 2002 brochure I have at home, I saw the difference in blue and grey. If it serves me correctly, there might have even been two different shades of blue. Don't quote me on this yet since I need to look at the brochure at home.

In regards to 2004, I know 2004 is the 25th anniversary of the G (with first year of G being 1979). With respect to badging, that is a really good question you pose. You would think there were just regular G500s and then G500 25th special editions.

#64629 - in reply to #64620
Author
Posted 2/21/2007 7:36 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

I'm not certain but although the G is relatively short, i suspect it's wheel base to be a bit longer than anything that's the same length. Most cars have more overhang front and rear.

I think to some degree the larger turning circle is slightly offset because you can better judge the location of the front of the vehicle so you can get closer to things. I spook people all the time and then i let them get out and notice i'm still over a foot from the object.

Try judging the front of an Infiniti FX. It has the worst view of the road i've ever seen. The new honda civic... you can't see the hood from inside the car... period, it's impossible, i tried. Cool car, but i LOVE having that flat hood at waist level. I was very pleased to find the G has a tighter turning circle than my old 92 pathfinder.

It's likely that the turning circle can be adjusted tighter (i have slightly done so on mine) but it's current setting is likely done to ensure the strength of the system during heavy use. I suspect it has much to do with the strength requirements of the system which other vehicles don't have as requirement.

Edited by ewalberg 2/21/2007 7:43 PM
#64657 - in reply to #64620
Author
Posted 2/21/2007 9:20 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE

Okay, colors from 2002 brochure: 040 Black, 189 Black Opal, 189 Obsidian Black, 257 Dark Turquoise, 359 Capri Blue, 567 Bordeaux Red, 693 Desert Silver, 744 Brilliant Silver, 753 Tectile Grey, 816 Everest Green, 904 Midnight Blue, 941 Wedgewood Blue, and 960 Alabaster White.

The next G on my wishlist is a W463 1990s SWB G in dark blue. I don't think any of the blues above match what I have seen.

My old 1995 Mitsubishi Montero (Pajero) LS had a wheelbase of 107 in and a turning radius of roughly 38 ft. So a G500 with 112 in wheelbase and a 43.5 ft radius probably sounds right as I am actually reading these to be the specs in my 2002 brochure right now.

Edited by gwagen460swb 2/21/2007 9:23 PM
#64661 - in reply to #64620
Author
Posted 2/21/2007 9:42 PM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

I have a silvergrey metallic G and it works very well at not showing the dirt that hits it the moment after it is washed. I live where it rains a lot with a lot of dirt on the rural roads. Instant filthy truck. The machine is used offroad all the time. I like the color it but is probably different than the grey of the newer 463 series color choice. I just thought I might put a plug in for a gray color.

Don't repaint the truck. They are painted at the factory prior to fitting interior detail and interior metal is visible on the doors and other surfaces. A quality repaint of just the exterior will exceed $5,000 and I can only imagine what an interior repaint would cost. Probably as much as the exterior and the result will not be as well finished as stock because the body shell is painted and cured in a way that can't be duplicated without removing everything from that chassis. My advice is narrow down the choices of paint you would like and seek out the machine in one of those colors.

When you get the machine that is right for you it is possible to adjust the steering lock stops to give you a tighter radius. It can be set to just rub the tires on full lock each way. There will likely be a little room for improvement.

-Dai
#64663 - in reply to #64620
Author
Posted 2/21/2007 10:40 PM
Linda in Santa Cruz

Re: G-500 Shopping: Thanks to you all...

Wow, this P3 forum rocks...I cannot believe that all my hard to answer questions are already cleared up by incredibly knowledgeableG-500 owners.

Thanks to all who gave me clarity about how counterproductive a repaint would be! I see exactly why you are all so unanimous. OK, from now on I'm just looking for silver, pewter silver, and the medium gray (probably that's the 'dolphin gray'), maybe Desert Silver (champagne), all of which seem to pass my dusty driveway test. I have been looking in eBay as well as Motor Trend and Yahoo on-line listings, and my questions actually arose from the various confusing ways the colors could look with different camera and computer settings.

Thanks to gwagen460swb, I get it that regular silver is called 'Brilliant Silver' by MB; I had thought (erroneously) there were 2 types of regular silver. The choice of 3 types of black is also quite an (over-) achievement!

gwagen460swb - 2/21/2007 6:20 PM

Okay, colors from 2002 brochure: 040 Black, 189 Black Opal, 189 Obsidian Black, 257 Dark Turquoise, 359 Capri Blue, 567 Bordeaux Red, 693 Desert Silver, 744 Brilliant Silver, 753 Tectile Grey, 816 Everest Green, 904 Midnight Blue, 941 Wedgewood Blue, and 960 Alabaster White.

Dai, the gray of your G wagon looks great to my eye and will surely look clean as long as the windows get some attention. Do you know if it's the 'dolphin' or the 'tectite' or another?

I appreciate the advice on turning circle, and the explanation why it is the way it is. As a former classic eatle VW driver, I will look after I have my G for some tightening up, if the trade-off seems OK.

Thanks again to all who replied,

Linda

#64669 - in reply to #64661
Author
Posted 2/21/2007 11:46 PM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

My paint code is (7)172 anthracite grey used for a lot of years by Mercedes. My truck is an 1985 model and that paint doesn't relate to the current offerings I suspect. 747 Granite Gray might be close. 753 Tectite Grey is much darker. You might contact Rasmussen Mercedes in Portland Oregon. They had a used G in a grey color at the Wilsonville location when I stopped in for some parts a couple of weeks ago. Looked perfect to me. Rasmussen is the oldest (first) Mercedes dealer in the US and might be able to locate what you are looking for. They can certainly get you a brochure immediately for the G class. (503) 228-8351 a solid dealership.

-Dai
#64672 - in reply to #64663
Author
Posted 2/22/2007 4:50 AM
Bruce280
Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): 83 280GE, 81 300GD

d34x4 - 2/21/2007 2:50 PM

My understanding is that the permanent 4 wheel drive system of the later G's cause it to have a larger turning radius, whereas the Xterra you mentioned may turn that sharp- but only in two wheel drive.

I'm trying to understand how a full-time 4WD system would contribute to a larger turning radius but I'm not coming up with anything (assuming all the diffs are unlocked, of course).

A part-time system like on the older Gs will cause a larger turning circle when in 4WD, but that's because there is no center differential to allow the front and rear driveshafts to spin at different rates during a turn. Am I missing something?
#64683 - in reply to #64628
Author
Posted 2/22/2007 9:29 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8

I have owned 2 '02's, a 99 and an 05 in the the following colors:

99 Blue black
02 Tectite
02 Brilliant Silver
05 Diamond black

For dirt and dust the tectite was the best. It was a dark metallic gray. I agree with your choice of 04 as a good year but strongly suggest that you buy locally. G's are unique and each one has a personality.

Having said all the above I will tell you that the G I am fondest of and the one that is a perpetual joy from every perspective is the 99. If you could find a 99 or 00 and have a good local mechanic you would be dealing with a true gem. The way to look at this is that there are very few years of bad Opus One. But there are a couple of years that really are exceptional.

Best of luck.
#64695 - in reply to #64620
Author
Posted 2/22/2007 9:35 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8

And one more thing about the turning circle - I just do not notice it and it does not appear to be overly wide or get in the way.
#64696 - in reply to #64620
Author
Posted 2/22/2007 12:28 PM
d34x4

A part-time system like on the older Gs will cause a larger turning circle when in 4WD, but that's because there is no center differential to allow the front and rear driveshafts to spin at different rates during a turn. Am I missing something

That's the point I think I'm trying to make... or something like that. We all agree that during a turn the front outside wheel travels a further distance than the front inside wheel... so the wheels will fight each for traction?

Hmm... in my 460 it does not turn as tight in 4 wheel drive, in my Pickup it does not turn as tight in 4 wheel drive... I made a general conclusion based on my experiences without looking into it.
#64715 - in reply to #64620
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1