Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Anyone here hardwire their radar detector?

Page 2 of 2 12
Anyone here hardwire their radar detector?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/26/2007 5:12 PM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8
Re: Anyone here hardwire their radar detector?

V1 is no longer the king of the hill. BEL STI Driver is the only detector tested to be silent to Spectre and it has fewer falses than a V1. Also K and Ka range are much better. Laser is the only place V1 still has edge.
#65225 - in reply to #64855
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 7:38 AM
wcelliot

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Anyone here hardwire their radar detector?

The performance superiority of the BEL is arguable. The most famous test where the BEL bested the V1 was paid for by BEL with a detector provided by them (not purchased commercially). Most independent tests seem to still show the V1 with a performance edge, though the BEL is still very good.

However, all seem to agree that the "stealth" of the BEL is superior.

Bill
#65305 - in reply to #64855
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 9:11 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Please note I speak not from reading tests but from actual experience. All units purchased commercially. V1 is often silent on K. I know. (not happy). Please also see radartest.com for confirmation.

#65315 - in reply to #64855
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 10:51 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Sorry, I keep saying K and I mean Ka. I think that it what they are using all over Long Island and along NYS Thruway. Also if you keep your V1 in the car in the summer it is interesting to note that the temperature in the vehicle in direct sun will affect performance adversely. No warning about this on the V1 where as the STI will tell you that it is shutting down operations due to overheating. Damage to V1 by some reports once this happens is permanent.
#65325 - in reply to #64855
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 11:25 AM
KERR

MarcO - 2/27/2007 10:51 AM

Also if you keep your V1 in the car in the summer it is interesting to note that the temperature in the vehicle in direct sun will affect performance adversely.

wow, that sucks.... wonder if mine has brain damage then.. it stays on and in the sun light all the time

I try to stay out of the radar detector argument. its like G55 vs G500... each have there strong point.... for my experiences with a V1 over the last 4 years is the only reason im driving.. lol..

The main reason i got one was back in 95... My dads friend collect corvettes got his 5th ZR-1 ( has one in every color now) anyway he took me for a ride, Bright yellow on black.... Pulled out on to high 421, Always covered with TN state police... speed limit is 45 then goes up to 55mph... we roll out of the 4 way stop... and he hammers it, 1st. 2nd, 3ed... im like Nolan we are going to go to jail... he lets up and as we crest the top of hill and says why? you see a cop? I said no but you like 100+ in a 45... he goes oh i do this all the time, and i ahve a V1... ponted to the sun visor. we topped the hill and back into second he went.. 2ed, 3ed, 4th... i have no clue how fast we where going.... Last time i talke to him he had one in each car... i think he has 20 vettes now.
#65329 - in reply to #65325
Author
Posted 2/28/2007 8:46 AM
wcelliot

RE: Anyone here hardwire their radar detector?

I do not consider Craig Peterson to be unbiased. He's been saying that BEL was superior to the V1 for over a decade. That's a curious track record considering how inferior the BEL really was back in 1995 when he first compared them.

He also just ignores one of the top V1 features... the ability to tell you where the radar is coming from. Even if another detector really was slightly better than the V1 in absolute range, it would take a LOT for me to give up that feature. I've never been in danger due to insufficient range, but the directional locator has saved me more than once.

Bill

Edited by wcelliot 2/28/2007 8:46 AM
#65427 - in reply to #64855
Author
Posted 2/28/2007 9:43 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

I agree that the directionality is helpful, but I find the Laser warning much more helpful on the V1. Unfortunately (or fortunately) in the Northeast it is Ka that is the predominant modality and I must say the BEL is superior for range. I do know that my V1 which I have had in each G has been scary silent since the summer and going by places which have always been a trap. I then placed a BEL and it was going off like crazy! If the unit does not pick up radar then no amount of directionality helps (there is no signal).

To each his/her own.
#65435 - in reply to #64855
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12