Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : custom winch bumper and other parts.

Page 1 of 1 1
custom winch bumper and other parts.
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/23/2007 10:54 AM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
custom winch bumper and other parts.

OK guys, I was in RPM last night ( friends shop that does custom fabrication and build Baja trucks) Anyway they said to bring the G in next week and they will look at building a winch bumper. I took the pictures of the ORC bumper since everyone like the look but hates the price, ($2046 as of today) They said that would not be a problem to make one like theres but they would rather do a custom bumper. I don’t want to pay for a custom one off bumper because I’m not sure what all design options we have with the short bumpers on a G. They said they will do some drawing for me to see. I also said i wanted to reuse the factory brush gaurd. Bottom line i dont want something that looks like crap... it needs to flow with the lines of the car.

At any rate, he said if any of you have any suggestions, or drawings of something you think would work or would like to see made to let me know.
I also mentioned skid plates and he said that’s no problem and they will look into it at the same time. His first suggestion was to make a skeleton skid plate system and run the hole length of the frame or at least cover the major parts. Sort of the way hummer H1 are, Only problem with that is he said they are easy to get hung up on rocks. ( they have h1's too)

So get some ideas going on what you want or think you might want and we will go from there..

Also I know some of you wanted a wider opening in the orc bumper for a bigger winch.. what series winches would want to run. They should be able to figure that out as well if they are building the rest
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/23/2007 5:26 PM
Braingears
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320
RE: custom winch bumper and other parts.

On mine... I could swear that they cut the center portion out of the original steel bumper, then added the winch housing into the center. Once they were done, it got powder coated.
#64905 - in reply to #64865
Author
Posted 2/26/2007 8:50 AM
bwillie

I am in the process of building a bumper like the ORC. I purchased a TJM winch plate that was made for the Discovery Series II for $110.00 and cut out the middle of the factory bumper. The TJM fits almost perfect and has all the holes drilled for the winch mount and the fairlead. I am still working on mounting points and tube work for extra protection. If I did not have so many "honey due" projects I would be done by now. I will post picture when it is complete.
#65174 - in reply to #64865
Author
Posted 2/26/2007 9:42 AM
KERR

Re: custom winch bumper and other parts.

yea the orc thing seems simple. I like the looks of that bumper too, Just dont like the price $2064 as of friday.

I totally agree it looks as if they cut the bumper in half. welded in the boxed winch holder, then had it powercoated. There set up works good and looks good. Just not $2064 dollars good
#65179 - in reply to #64865
Author
Posted 2/26/2007 4:20 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

"....not $2064 dollars good...."

What's the cost of the G bumper that needs to be cut? 

In order for RPM to sell one like this they'll either have to offer an exchange option with shipping both ways on the bumper, or buy new bumpers from DCAG to cut up.  Just a thought. 

Typical custom fabbed bumper with brush guard runs around a grand-$1200, maybe $800 for a blade alone.  My off-the-cuff guess for them to buy the G bumper, use their own generic winch tray, which they should have on the shelf if they build many bumpers, fab the "ORC looking" bumper center portion, and weld up the whole mess would probably be around $1500 - $1700.  And it probably wouldn't be worth it for them to screw with "exchange" bumpers as they're too likely to be damaged in some way.  This is assuming a new factory bumper can be had for $500-ish, but I don't know about that. 

See what they say....

-Dave G.

PS - add a couple hundred in shipping to that number if one can't "drive in" for the job, and you're back in the range of that ORC bumper.  No free lunch....

Edited by hipine 2/26/2007 4:22 PM
#65211 - in reply to #65179
Author
Posted 2/26/2007 4:55 PM
KERR

Yea we looked at it today, and bottom line is its not worth there time to build one.

They looked at the set up and said it would be easy to make and run about $180-200 in steel. the main problem is time is money.

In a nut shell he said we had three options.

1) crazy looking hard core bumper... ( dont want this so on to bumper 2)

2) Make a 100% new stock bumper that holds a winch. Two options here.

1) bring the hole bumper out and put the winch inside like www.trailready.com does as well as other winch bumper, then angle the side back so it looks stock. Richard ( W5YK) had something like this a few years ago and it weighted to much... So i passed on that idea as well.

2) buit the same bumper as number one but leaving it open and have more of the look of a orc.

3) Cut the factory bumper in half, and make a winch holder/ plate.

The guy that does the welding and faborication said that in the real world it would take about 40-50 hours or longer to build a one off bumper. Main reason is measurements, then making a mig to hold the bumper while its all weldded up with out haveing anything bend. He said these other companys have spent the money to make all the tooling, measurements, and migs to make as many bumpers as they want. So who knows how many a day they make. Then he said they would grind down the welds so when its painted it would look stock...

So long story short they said it would be probably $25-3000 to make a bumper,

Jud said he can't have one of his guys building this for a week for free, and chances of them ever being able to sale another one is slim to none because there is no market were we life to recover the investement. Which is fine, i understand everyone has to eat and i would not want to pull one of my guys off a job for a week to make a one off custom bumper.

He tried the best he can i guess.. the welder said " it will ad up in a hurry at $150 a hour" ... so last time i check 150 X 40 $6K...

He did say though that they would be interested in building a bumper at some point. there just slammed right now building 3 baja turcks and a FJ cruiser to run this yea as well... He also said they would like to look into making skid plats, and sliders another parts too later on..

So i guess its back to orc... unless i can find a used front bumper and have a reguler welding place cut it up.. Use maybe a Warn winch plate or something like that..

You have any picture of you custom stuff working on..
#65220 - in reply to #64865
Author
Posted 2/26/2007 4:59 PM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

Kerr. Simple but effective

(USMML6 (1296 x 972).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments USMML6 (1296 x 972).jpg (272KB - 4 downloads)
#65221 - in reply to #64865
Author
Posted 2/26/2007 10:20 PM
diehardg
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000G500L, 2015 G350BT, 2016G63(now), 1968 S404

Kerr,
Been there done that...
I've gone through exactly the same path you took. Thought about it alot and talked to shop for long time. Then, I ended up cutting each side of stock bumper and welded Warn TJ bumper with Warn CJ winch plate.

Now this shop made a bracket to fit L/C 70 Series bumper.
http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/200702/18/08/d0001708_23333832.jpg
I don't know the price yet. But if there are many of you are interested, I can ask them. Also, I can ask them to ship to US too.

Let me know
Yasu
#65274 - in reply to #64865
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 9:07 AM
elcinito

Hi all ... I did something simpler , just fixed the winch mount/fairlead on top of the bumper ... a temp measure till I have the time to profile it into the bumper as above pic. But in saying this, although it sticks out a bit, (I did not want to cut the grill), its current height is perfect for winching. Perhaps with larger tyres, it may be too high.
The cost for fabrication the ORC style bumper was quoted at around $500 while this cost me just $60.
Seems somehow cheaper in the East?

(Winch mount.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Winch mount.JPG (59KB - 2 downloads)
#65314 - in reply to #64865
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 9:54 AM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320

Have you attmpted to use the winch? Does it want to pull or bend the bumper? I can't imagine being pulled out of deep mud without possibly doing some damage. Especially is someone happens to "jerk" me while using the cable.

I would consider using the softer braids instead of the steel cable.
#65319 - in reply to #64865
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 10:02 AM
KERR

Yasu, i took them your pictures too and all the other picture i have found on line for them look at and get ideas. Jud said " wow, that dude is hard core." I was like you see the body damage..

I sorta like the looks of the ARB but then from the front angles it looks like the bumper and bars are to wide for the body.
#65320 - in reply to #64865
Author
Posted 2/28/2007 5:19 AM
-UG-
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): GD300, S350 CDI

Here is what I made few years ago.

-UG-

(IMG_1231.jpg)

(IMG_1233.jpg)

(IMG_1259.jpg)

(CIMG0006.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1231.jpg (102KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1233.jpg (86KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1259.jpg (102KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments CIMG0006.jpg (106KB - 5 downloads)
#65413 - in reply to #64865
Author
Posted 2/28/2007 12:49 PM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

Job done, nice one,
#65443 - in reply to #64865
Author
Posted 3/1/2007 6:03 AM
DesertStar
Expert

Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500

Kerr, there was/is a guy on clubgwagen with a 463 winch bumper for sale. You may want to email and see if this is up your alley ? On bottom of page of link below.
http://www.clubgwagen.com/classifieds/adsP.php?sid=home&pageTitle=a...
Mike
#65543 - in reply to #64865
Author
Posted 3/1/2007 5:10 PM
KERR

Mike thanks.

I tried to get ahold of mike Keri for like 3 months straight about a year ago with no luck.. no answer on the phone or returned e mailes. i think some said he had sold all those parts

Thanks for the link though.. by all means if you see another let me know.
#65582 - in reply to #64865
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1