Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : History of truck?

Page 1 of 1 1
History of truck?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/23/2007 5:05 PM
Jamison

Date registered: Dec 1899
History of truck?

Im not sure if the owner is a member of these boards or not but just to gain some extra knowledge, anybody know anything about this history of this truck? Looks nice and has potential for veggie fuel conversion!

http://www.clubgwagen.com/classifieds/terpstra.php

Im thinking about a G again haha. Just thinking...
Thanks everyone!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/23/2007 5:17 PM
Merz-Ben
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 230G, U1200, U1250 DoKa, U1300L, U1500, U1700, 416
RE: History of truck?

Wow! I don't know any history on it, but that's a steal on a turbo diesel G unless there is a major problem with the front end or transfer case, even then if the rust was repaired properly it is still a decent buy.

Cheers,
Ben
#64903 - in reply to #64899
Author
Posted 2/23/2007 5:38 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

Jamison - 2/23/2007 5:05 PM

Im not sure if the owner is a member of these boards or not but just to gain some extra knowledge, anybody know anything about this history of this truck? Looks nice and has potential for veggie fuel conversion!

http://www.clubgwagen.com/classifieds/terpstra.php

Im thinking about a G again haha. Just thinking...
Thanks everyone!

Brian was a member at BW; but I don't think he ever followed us over here. I haven't seen him on BW in a long time either. Do a search on his name to see what shows up.
#64907 - in reply to #64899
Author
Posted 2/23/2007 5:43 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
Brian Talks About It Here

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/1232335-new-club-3.html#pos...

This post dates from November 2005 and is his second to the last post on BW.
#64909 - in reply to #64899
Author
Posted 2/23/2007 6:37 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

I know Brian, and the truck, and the guy who did the conversion.  I've driven it, though it had to be two years ago.  Nice truck, and I can say he's got easily double that asking price in it, not counting whatever HE paid for it.  Brian's a good guy.  Give hima call.  We can talk more off list if you like.

-Dave G.

#64915 - in reply to #64899
Author
Posted 2/24/2007 9:28 AM
mortinson
Expert

Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon

Just a couple of observations on that truck: the upholstery is not original and the wheel rims looked as being from a W463.
#64975 - in reply to #64899
Author
Posted 2/26/2007 8:52 AM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE
Re: History of truck?

I have looked repeatedly at that 300GD SWB on clubgwagen. I can't keep my eyes off of it. I kept asking myself the same question as to why someone would ask that price. It would not surprise me if it sold already.
#65175 - in reply to #64899
Author
Posted 2/26/2007 10:34 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

gwagen460swb - .... I kept asking myself the same question as to why someone would ask that price. .....

IMHO, it's because it's a fair price designed to sell the truck.  Not some crook or delusional moron trying to soak an unsuspecting rube.  Brian knows what he's got....it's a truck.....just a truck.....and one that appeals to a limited market.  He's just put his asking price in line with what actual selling prices are for trucks like that, as far as I know.  And like you say, when someone does that, it's likely to actually sell and might be gone by now.  I sent him an E-mail but haven't heard back.  Maybe I'll try and give him a call.

-Dave G.

#65181 - in reply to #65175
Author
Posted 2/26/2007 10:45 PM
bterpstra

hipine - 2/26/2007 10:34 AM

gwagen460swb - .... I kept asking myself the same question as to why someone would ask that price. .....

IMHO, it's because it's a fair price designed to sell the truck.  Not some crook or delusional moron trying to soak an unsuspecting rube.  Brian knows what he's got....it's a truck.....just a truck.....and one that appeals to a limited market.  He's just put his asking price in line with what actual selling prices are for trucks like that, as far as I know.  And like you say, when someone does that, it's likely to actually sell and might be gone by now.  I sent him an E-mail but haven't heard back.  Maybe I'll try and give him a call.

-Dave G.

From now on, I'm letting Dave be my official spokesman.

While I'm very proud of the truck, I'm also aware of its faults. Chief among them being that it's a grey market vehicle. The 1st gear synchro needs attention as does the front drive shaft. The body isn't perfect. Rather than go for top dollar and feel like there's someone out there who didn't get their money's worth, I'd rather sell it for what I'd pay for it if my wife would let me buy a G. Honestly, I'd rather not sell it at all, but I have both a Defender 90 and a G. The spousal unit says I need to reduce the fleet, and she's always resented Glenda (the other woman thing). Having spent too much money on the rust repair, I don't drive it during the winter, so Glenda is the logical choice to sell. Bottom line - marital harmony dictates that it's more important to get the truck sold than to get the last dollar. That said, the price is quite fair so there's not a lot of negotiating room.

Hopefully that answers the question. She goes in for a buyer's inspection on Wednesday, so I'll know then if that price is fair, a bargain, or a problem.

Regards,

BT

PS: I love my D, but having compared the two for a while now, nothing runs like a G. Still the best out there. Had to spend 10k to make the D even remotely as robust as the G. (lockers, heavy duty axle shafts & CV's, lower range gears in the t-case, lower gears in the diffs, skid protection.......the list goes on.)

#65277 - in reply to #65181
Author
Posted 2/26/2007 10:51 PM
bterpstra

The original upholstery had someone's greasy behind in it once too often. It wasn't horrible, but it did detract from the truck. Plus, it just wasn't enjoyable sitting there. It was replaced when the rust got done. I figured diffent-than-original material was better than the greasy butt look. It doesn't look original but then again it doesn't look like someone sat in a bucket of KFC before they drove off.

The wheels were sourced by the prior owner who got a deal on them and ditched the steel ones. Not sure what year vehicle they came from.
#65278 - in reply to #64975
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1