Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Service of 2002 G500 Transmission

Page 1 of 1 1
Service of 2002 G500 Transmission
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/26/2007 11:40 PM
Toronto230ge
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 VW van 1987 230GE, 2002 G500 1965 porsche 911
Service of 2002 G500 Transmission

Took my 2002 G in for A service today. I had them bleed brakes and replace all fluids as an extra to the A service items. About 6 months ago I had inquired about the transmission fluid on my first service meeting with this dealer. They told me it was a sealed transmision(good for life). Before I brought the car in this time I asked the dealer service manager to inquire further into this "policy" concerning the transmission. I was told this morning when I brought the car in, that they "spoke to several people in the know" over the few days preceeding my appointment.... and indeed they recomend that the fluid in a transmission with over 100,000 KM. be changed. When i picked up the truck they told me that my persistance in this case caused some furvour with the mechanics! I have to thank this forum for the insight and the knowledge gained to enhance the service recieved from my dealer , AGAIN!.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Toronto230ge 2/26/2007 11:42 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 10:07 AM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Service of 2002 G500 Transmission

what i have been told is that Yes the trans is sealed and there is not dip stick.. However in my owners manual. at 60K miles ( not sure what that would be in KLM) it says they recomend changing the fluid if needed. When i had my 60K miles serivce doen they said they tested the fluid and it was line no. No reason to change it.. she said if i wanted to recheck it at 80K they will.

I Have never had to change trans fluid in any car ive owned in the past. However considering how much a trans is for a benz i would think its worth looking into.

If the dealer has a problem take it another dealer. I never met any dealershop that will not do what you ask.. they just might charge you more.
#65321 - in reply to #65280
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 10:17 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8
Re: Service of 2002 G500 Transmission

Just one other point of view. And let me say that I am being just a devil's advocate here. I would not be the first one at any dealer to have my G's tranny fluid changed. Based on my extensive and long history with many dealers in my area I would sooner let my nine year old polish my truck with steel wool then let these cretans have a whack at being the first to do anything on these trucks. Your experience with dealers may be different and yours may be better informed and willing to educate him/herself. It is so bad here in my area that though my vehicle is under warranty, I take the G's to an independent who has been doing this for years and laughs about not changing tranny fluid. And I pay gladly for warranty work to be done right once the first time.

Ask Kerr or me how many times we gave these trucks to the dealer and they would keep them a week and have half of the trouble fixed but then they would want it back because they were unable to replicate a major problem like no air conditioning, seats going forward only, motor stops dead on the highway.....

My time is too valuable to be dragged around gods earth while these miscreants learn how service a 25 year old truck. I pay cash and get it fixed right the first time. Amazing how capitalism works.

Just another perspective.
#65322 - in reply to #65280
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 10:36 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

KERR - 2/27/2007 10:07 AM

what i have been told is that Yes the trans is sealed and there is not dip stick.. However in my owners manual. at 60K miles ( not sure what that would be in KLM) it says they recomend changing the fluid if needed. When i had my 60K miles serivce doen they said they tested the fluid and it was line no. No reason to change it.. she said if i wanted to recheck it at 80K they will.

I'll bet that "test" was no more than a visual and smell test.

Change it, if you plan to keep the truck!
#65324 - in reply to #65321
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 9:25 PM
michel bertin
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): '02 G500, '14 G550

My dealer has on its maintenance list to replace transmission fluids at 30K mi. Each time I talked with them, they recommended changing auto trans fluids regularly. I always followed that schedule.

Fluid is cheaper than mechanic repairs.

Michel
#65376 - in reply to #65321
Author
Posted 2/28/2007 5:47 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

michel bertin - 2/27/2007 9:25 PM

My dealer has on its maintenance list to replace transmission fluids at 30K mi. Each time I talked with them, they recommended changing auto trans fluids regularly. I always followed that schedule.

Fluid is cheaper than mechanic repairs.

Michel

No question about it!
#65417 - in reply to #65376
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1