Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : New DC purchase, a trip to the dark side?

Page 1 of 1 1
New DC purchase, a trip to the dark side?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/7/2007 10:39 AM
Brent
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI
New DC purchase, a trip to the dark side?

It is starting to feel like spring in the rockies again. I have been away fighting tree huggers all winter over forest closures, sorry I haven't had time to post here much

We did some vehicle changing the other day and ended up with something I NEVER thought I would own. My wifes primary driver is now a 2007 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4-door. Never thought I would go down that road but so far we are pleased with it. Keep in mind this vehicle must have some charm to get my wife to part with the Cayenne S! The 460 type simplicity with some modern touches is neat. No power windows, locks or mirrors on this baby. It also has exposed painted metal and basic plastic interior appointments, and it appears to be nearly as slow as an old G too I wish DC would offer similar basic choices on the vastly superior G platform.

What it does have are the lockers, the 4:1 t-case, a front swaybar disconnect, off road tires, good shocks and upgraded axles. The wheelbase is rediculously long, longer than a lwb G even. This makes for impressive room inside though and with a soft top endless headroom. The truck came with ESP too, courtesy of the MB side I am sure.

The G stays around, no substitute for that but I now feel more fully assimilated to my area being a Jeep owner in the Jeeping capital of the world (so they claim). It seems to ride much better than previous Jeeps and hopefully some of that carries over to the trails.

So anyway.....All is well in the San Juans of Colorado. The trails will start to open up in a few months, the motel should be open in about a month. Time to change out of the winter gear and get ready for spring! Hopefully you guys have been behaving for DUTCH in my absence
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/7/2007 11:01 AM
clavos
Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 1983 MB 300td, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16, 1984 MB 300GD
RE: New DC purchase, a trip to the dark side?

Congrats on the purchase. I am hoping like hell to get down to the little house on Cement St this summer with the G. Should be road worhty by the end of the month.
#66120 - in reply to #66118
Author
Posted 3/7/2007 12:06 PM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320
Re: New DC purchase, a trip to the dark side?

I am interested to get your opinions after you have had it for a while. To compare them side by side, especially with the long wheel base. I am sure that the extra length and weight should help making it smoother and less bouncy.
#66126 - in reply to #66118
Author
Posted 3/7/2007 5:59 PM
Roch207
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2005 E320 CDI, 2010 Silverado 2500HD

PICS!
#66158 - in reply to #66118
Author
Posted 3/7/2007 7:03 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

Glad to see you back. I was beginning to think that we were going to have to send out the Canine Rescue Team.
#66164 - in reply to #66118
Author
Posted 3/7/2007 10:09 PM
PolishEagle
Regular

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): 2003 G500; 2002 CLK55 1981 380SL; 2007 R320

Funny, before I bought our current G, I drove my 280GE down to Jeep dealer to test drive the Unlimited. I love the fact you can ditch the roof!

Long story short, wife and I got out, I was feeling quite seasick. For some reason me and the Jeep ride just don't match well. I even said to wife on way home how much more I like the ride of my 20 yr old truck over Jeep.

Great Looking truck though, hope it does well for you guys.......
#66174 - in reply to #66118
Author
Posted 3/8/2007 9:50 AM
Brent
Expert

The new specs for this version have greatly improved the ride quality. The wheelbase is 116 inches, 6.5" longer than a JGC, about 4" longer than a lwb G. They also softened the spring rates by 10% from the 2006 version and it has premium gas shocks, Bilstiens I think. The new Jeep is also quite a bit wider than the previous versions. On the road it rides much better than previous Jeeps I have driven. Off the road remains to be seen. There is already talk of a lift and bigger tires, and that will likely smooth the off road ride further.

It is a "cheap" though, no doubt about it, this ain't no G-class. What it is is warrantied and locally servicable, something a $30k G is not. It is also capable enough to keep things interesting.
#66206 - in reply to #66118
Author
Posted 3/8/2007 3:15 PM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899

I too like the looks of the new models. For me i would have done the hard top with all options but i live in my car, usually 3-4 hours a day at work..

The Jeeps are nice and fun. Im sure you will enjoy it. My question is how did you trade in a porsche on Jeep. Or jeep dealer is also our Dodge dealer. I looked at a diesel ram and wanted to trade in my 02 G and they went Um... No your G cost to much....
#66217 - in reply to #66118
Author
Posted 3/9/2007 11:23 PM
JamesG
Regular

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2011 G550, 2000 L.C.,1997 L.C.1987 FJ60

Brent, Good to hear from ya. Could you talk about the frame? I had heard it was new. I am sure it is boxed. Is it a heavy gauge? How many crossmembers and is everything tucked up high enough? Thanks man.
#66420 - in reply to #66118
Author
Posted 3/10/2007 12:53 PM
T.Schuhe
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 460 1985 LWB 300GD five speed

Hi Brent,

I looked at one of those new Jeeps this week; Add an MB diesel engine and it could get very interesting. 

Daimler-Benz AG may return soon, as they angle to dump the Chrysler wing, and the return of DBAG. On the other hand, keeping certain divisions might be part of the ultimate corporate configuration, or so the rumors inform.

#66462 - in reply to #66420
Author
Posted 3/10/2007 6:36 PM
ThorThorThor

Vehicle(s): 1992 Range Rover size L, 1995 Range Rover size M

Brent - 3/7/2007 8:39 AM

It is starting to feel like spring in the rockies again. I have been away fighting tree huggers all winter over forest closures, sorry I haven't had time to post here much

So anyway.....All is well in the San Juans of Colorado. The trails will start to open up in a few months, the motel should be open in about a month. Time to change out of the winter gear and get ready for spring! Hopefully you guys have been behaving for DUTCH in my absence :boink:

Thank you for all your work you mention in your first paragraph!

My club will be in the neighborhood in August. We'd love to have you along. I'd love to see a G in action, as it will most likely be my next off roader.

http://www.landrovernationalrally.com/

Todd

#66477 - in reply to #66118
Author
Posted 3/10/2007 9:14 PM
Brent
Expert

You guys don't really want to stay in Montrose do you? Bring the group on down to Ouray, the REAL heart of the San Juans. I just happen to operate a very nice little motel in town

I am always up for a little trail adventure and would be happy to demonstrate the G's capabilities.....I know just the trail

KERR... We actually traded a Dodge truck for the Jeep and the Cayenne S went for a new WRX. I've never had a problem trading down at a new car dealer. Some of the independants just don't hgave the $$ to buy a premium rig for their inventory though.

James... I haven't crawled around it much yet. It isn't going to be MY off-road rig, my wife will be driving it, so I haven't bothered to dig too deep. At first blush it looks as though the t-case is a little higher than the previous versions but, it isn't as well done as the G-class. I will crawl under and give you the low down shortly.
#66492 - in reply to #66118
Author
Posted 3/10/2007 9:51 PM
ThorThorThor

Brent - 3/10/2007 7:14 PM

You guys don't really want to stay in Montrose do you? Bring the group on down to Ouray, the REAL heart of the San Juans. I just happen to operate a very nice little motel in town

I think Montrose was chosen for the access to many trails (I didn't make the choice however). We will probably have greater than 150 vehicles and 300+ people. Is your place large enough???? hahaha.

What is the name of your motel? I've stayed in Ouray many times, and the High Desert Rovers of New Mexico (my other club) still do a 'Ouray' trip each year. I'd be glad to pass your motel's name to them!

Which trail do you have in mind???? (just so I can check how devilish you are!)

Todd

#66496 - in reply to #66492
Author
Posted 3/11/2007 12:31 AM
JamesG
Regular

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2011 G550, 2000 L.C.,1997 L.C.1987 FJ60

Brent, My wife and daughter and I are headed down there this fall for four or five days, about 4 or 5 hours from Conifer, we'll stop in. The San Juans are stunning in the fall. One of these days we'll make it to the Telluride Bluegrass Festival
#66509 - in reply to #66118
Author
Posted 3/11/2007 10:47 AM
Brent
Expert

ThorThorThor - 3/10/2007 7:51 PM

I think Montrose was chosen for the access to many trails (I didn't make the choice however). We will probably have greater than 150 vehicles and 300+ people. Is your place large enough???? hahaha.

What is the name of your motel? I've stayed in Ouray many times, and the High Desert Rovers of New Mexico (my other club) still do a 'Ouray' trip each year. I'd be glad to pass your motel's name to them!

Todd

You are correct Todd, I couldn't do 300 people! It is the Matterhorn Motel right in the center of town.

There is only one difficult trail nearby Ouray, that would be Poughkipsee Gulch. Lockers are a must on this one and even then the correct lines evade most. I have had to winch several folks over, including a friend in a new Rubicon. I would be fun to see some Rovers try it though

When the Hummer group came through they ran the trail downhill.....chickens

I understand that there are some EXTREMELY difficult trails around Montrose though. "Body damage expected" type trails which means the G hasn't been there.
#66552 - in reply to #66496
Author
Posted 3/11/2007 3:16 PM
Brent
Expert

JamesG - 3/9/2007 9:23 PM

Brent, Good to hear from ya. Could you talk about the frame? I had heard it was new. I am sure it is boxed. Is it a heavy gauge? How many crossmembers and is everything tucked up high enough? Thanks man.

Well, I crawled under and had a look this morning. The frame is fully boxed front to rear. It appears more substantial than previous Jeeps but is still far short of a G frame in terms of the sheer amount of material used. There is a fairly major crossmember for the trans mount, then two more for body support. None of them could possibly offer the stregnth of the G's welded through the frame tubes. The t-case sits up much higher, nearly up even with the frame now. The fuel tank has been relocated under the passenger side ahead of the rear axle and has a substantial skid plate for protection. The muffler is now filling the space behind the rear axle. The rear driveshaft uses CV's on both ends and the front shaft has a CV at the t-case and a u-joint at the differential. Definately steps in the right direction but the front shaft at the t-case is at a pretty steep angle before any lift. I would bet much more than a few inches is going to compromise that joint and likely the t-case itself if the joint fails. The front lower links are much longer than before, almost G like, with short angled upper links. Judging by the bumpstops and spring legnths there isn't going to be a lot of articulation stock but real world testing is in order to confirm this

I see a much better Jeep than before. I think there is still room for substantial improvement but I am sure cost is a concern since a 4dr Rubicon is a $30k+ rig now. Hopefully I don't have to tow it around too much with the G this summer
#66575 - in reply to #66420
Author
Posted 3/12/2007 4:53 PM
ThorThorThor

Brent - 3/11/2007 8:47 AM

ThorThorThor - 3/10/2007 7:51 PM

Todd

You are correct Todd, I couldn't do 300 people! It is the Matterhorn Motel right in the center of town.

There is only one difficult trail nearby Ouray, that would be Poughkipsee Gulch. Lockers are a must on this one and even then the correct lines evade most. I have had to winch several folks over, including a friend in a new Rubicon. I would be fun to see some Rovers try it though

When the Hummer group came through they ran the trail downhill.....chickens

I understand that there are some EXTREMELY difficult trails around Montrose though. "Body damage expected" type trails which means the G hasn't been there.

I may have stayed with you a few summers ago!

I noticed Poughkipsee is on the trail list, maybe we can run it together!

Glad to see you have the sense to stay off the Body Damage Trails! I have a nice kiss from a tree thanks to some questionable spotting, although I was the one at the wheel! Kinda adds to the street cred though! hahaha! My biggest problem is wheeling with rigs set up for 35 to 37" tires, while I'm on 33".

#66699 - in reply to #66552
Author
Posted 3/12/2007 6:32 PM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

Todd,

you at the wheel means not much. As soon as the spotter gets active - he is responsible for the rig. Like a pilot taking over an ocean freighter at the Panama Canal. He is responsible , not the captain.
#66713 - in reply to #66118
Author
Posted 3/13/2007 12:21 AM
ThorThorThor

4x4abc - 3/12/2007 4:32 PM

Todd,

you at the wheel means not much. As soon as the spotter gets active - he is responsible for the rig. Like a pilot taking over an ocean freighter at the Panama Canal. He is responsible , not the captain.

I'm a big boy and take responsibility for my rig. Although, I don't use that spotter anymore either! hahaha! In the end it's still just a truck. Maybe I'll print this and extort some Guiness from him at the local Irish Pub.
#66762 - in reply to #66713
Author
Posted 3/14/2007 1:44 AM
G4Garret
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, U1100, SLK350, LR 101, WC-63 6x6

Brent - 3/7/2007 10:39 AM

...My wifes primary driver is now a 2007 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4-door. Never thought I would go down that road but so far we are pleased with it. :

Hi Brent! Good to see you back. Glad your doing ok, and it's interesting, but that 4-door unlimited Rubicon keeps comming up in conversations these days. I like that Jeep too. Don't have one personnaly, but have been able to spend a little time in a "company" owned one. I was surprised how much I liked it, both the looks, driving it, and the combination of common-sense features without the electronic garbage...or the silly Hummeresque fake macho stuff.

I'm glad you're doing ok. I'm planning a trip to Colorado in the autumn, maybe get to drive by your way.

Garret

... Hopefully you guys have been behaving for DUTCH in my absence :boink:

Who's Dutch??
#66893 - in reply to #66118
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1