Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Broken Door Latch

Page 1 of 1 1
Broken Door Latch
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/10/2007 3:04 PM
sloughboy
Regular

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 1989 280 ge swb; 1997 G320 lwb; lexus gx;
Broken Door Latch

AHHHHH! Last night the door latch on the passenger door broke ---- this is the latch on the exterior of the door that fits into the pillar strike plate (turns and clicks inside the striker). The latch does not "click" anymore --- it just hangs there. I pulled off the door panel and found a broken spring at the bottom of the door so I am assuming this may be the culprit. The problem is that I cannot figure out how to remove the latch mechanism. Those useless WIS disks will not install properly on any of my computers and I do not want to start removing the window, regulator, etc unless I have to. I just ordered the full manual set from Harald to help me in the future. In the meantime, does anyone have any advice / experience on how to remove the latch mechanism.

(IMGP1148.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMGP1148.JPG (89KB - 2 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/10/2007 9:04 PM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: Broken Door Latch

I have not done this to my G but if it is anything like other MB latches the two fasteners that are visible above and below the mechanism hold it there. It will be removed from the inside. Use a flashlight and look in from that large access area and you will see what you need to disconnect from the latch. With the spring you may find a way to get it to work until the parts arrive. I sometimes use a small mirror to see the details of how the control rods to the lock are removed. It is pretty straightforward and simple construction. If you have vacuum locks that may have to be disconnected as well. Good luck,

-Dai
#66491 - in reply to #66465
Author
Posted 3/10/2007 9:59 PM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

http:www.rubicon-trail.com/public/door-handle.pdf
http:www.rubicon-trail.com/public/door-lock.pdf

Edited by 4x4abc 3/10/2007 10:05 PM
#66497 - in reply to #66465
Author
Posted 3/10/2007 10:04 PM
sloughboy
Regular

RE: Broken Door Latch

Well, the door latch is held in place by the two fasteners on the door edge, plus three others on the inside. These five fasteners hold the latch to the door and the door opener to the latch. Plus the rod connecting the latch to the interior door handle needs to be removed. Ok, done all this. But, now that the latch is free, there is no way to remove the latch from the door panel without removing the window channel. Yikes! How tough is removing the window (electric) from the door? Any experience on what to watch out for?

(IMGP1156.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMGP1156.JPG (79KB - 2 downloads)
#66499 - in reply to #66465
Author
Posted 3/11/2007 10:55 AM
dai
Expert

It would be a good idea to mark the position of the rails on the metal where they connect. The capscrews/bolts that hold them in place can be marked as well. That way the alignment will be easier when you put things back together. A sharpie works well. You might be able to loosen up the window rails enough to get the lock out without removing everything.

-Dai
#66554 - in reply to #66499
Author
Posted 3/11/2007 11:57 AM
hipine

Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

I can't remember for sure, but MAYBE with the window int he fully raised position, if you take out the BIG phillips head screw that holds the botom of the track to the door chassis at the bootom of the track below the latch, it MAY give you enough freedom to wiggle the track around and get the latch out.

It's worth a try because if that doesn't work, it means COMPLETE disassembly of the door.  The worst part of that job is the little bitty flat head phillips screws that hold the window frame to the door around the window opening.  Other than those, it's only half a dozen big phillips screws to remove the window regulator drom teh door, window from the regulator, etc.  Not horrible, but when it comes down to removing the actual black sheet metal window track/frame, things can get dicey 'cause the fasteners are a pain.

And the reason I know this is because I stripped a parts car and have some of this stuff around.  So if you get in a bind for anything, parts wise, let me know.

Good luck!

-Dave G.

#66561 - in reply to #66499
Author
Posted 3/11/2007 3:35 PM
sloughboy
Regular

Whohooo! Got the latch out and the spring is the culprit all right. Did not have to remove the top window channel (which I did anyhow and broke the plastic top part which I will repair with some fibreglass). Removed the bottom BIG Phillips screw and bent the slider in. Had to remove the rod attached to the servo from the top. It will make an interesting put back together and I will share with you all the entire process for the future.

(IMGP1168.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMGP1168.JPG (86KB - 2 downloads)
#66576 - in reply to #66465
Author
Posted 3/11/2007 6:44 PM
mortinson
Expert

Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

(P1000391.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P1000391.JPG (91KB - 2 downloads)
#66600 - in reply to #66465
Author
Posted 3/11/2007 6:48 PM
mortinson
Expert

Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon

The dismantling in the manual is very much like you did it. Reassembling is easier because you don't need to figure out how to proceed anyway.

The good thing is that all three springs inside the lock can be ordered separately from MB. The one that I broke -same one as yours, I think- is part No. A0007231534 and is a mere € 1.32 + VAT in Spain.
#66602 - in reply to #66465
Author
Posted 3/15/2007 12:07 AM
sloughboy
Regular

OK. All finished and the door shuts with a nice solid Klunk!

So, in hindsight, the procedure is actually quite simple. For a 1989 280GE. Remove the door panel. Remove the outside door handle (two bolts). Remove the three screws holding the door latch mechanism. Remove the rod connected from the interior door opener to the door latch at the door latch (somewhat tricky). Remove the rod connecting the servo (for the electric door opener) from the top of the latch. The latch is now "free" from the door and the two latches. Next, remove the big screw holding the bottom of the window rail. Slightly bend (3" or so) the rail inward (toward the middle of the door) to allow the removal of the door latch.

The culprit was a broken extension spring. Instead of waiting two plus weeks for a spring from Germany, I hunted around and found a 1 1/2" long spring, 1/4" in diameter, with a wire size of .35 (Quality is very good --- made by Dynaline in the USA). Comparable in all means to the original. Replaced the spring (I now carry a spare). Greased up the latch.

Reinstallation is the reverse of the above. Why those silly metal clips are used along with tape for holding on the door panel bottoms is beyond me --- there's got to be a better way. Anybody?

Thanks very, very much to all for your guidance. I sincerely appreciate your efforts.
#66961 - in reply to #66465
Author
Posted 3/15/2007 12:28 AM
dai
Expert

Solution

Thanks for posting the outcome of your issue. A lot of problems that are posted are left for all to wonder what actually happened in the end. I'm glad you let all of us know how you solved the problem. G wagens are very straightforward to take apart and put back together. It is fun and rewarding to repair things yourself and part of this forum is about sharing information about how to do this and help others. Thanks again for the closure and the fact that it is possible to repair the latch with a spring. How cool is that!

-Dai
#66963 - in reply to #66961
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1