Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Moab trip and time to pull the Getrag

Page 1 of 1 1
Moab trip and time to pull the Getrag
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/20/2007 9:58 AM
Brent
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI
Moab trip and time to pull the Getrag

We made a family trip over to Mab last weekend. The new Jeep was the chariot this time and I must say it performed extremely well. We did Fins N Things, Hells Revenge Saturday, and Poison Spider Mesa on Sunday. The Jeep was completely stock and came out with no damage. The lockers and swaybar disconnect worked perfectly.

Time to get the G ready for action now. I cleared a spot and it is on the operating table now I need to remove the trans and replace the bad input shaft bearing and seal, looks like the rear seal has a leak as well. Hopefully I can it out today and assess my parts needs. Wish me luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/20/2007 10:08 AM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Moab trip and time to pull the Getrag

you know you cant post about wheeling a new jeep and not post pictures!

#67509 - in reply to #67507
Author
Posted 3/20/2007 12:11 PM
Brent
Expert

RE: Moab trip and time to pull the Getrag

I forgot the digital camera. I have pics but they are on film
#67524 - in reply to #67507
Author
Posted 3/20/2007 4:45 PM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

Brent, let me know if you want to try my bearing upgrade fix. I can get ahold of a bearing and have the outer race modified for you. It is under $90 total (bearing+machining). Last time I had one done it was held up at the machine shop for awhile. If you want to use the stock bearing I have a new one of those as well. Those puppies are around $200. The other part you will need is a matching clip. I bought a couple of different sizes to get the exact thickness up against the inner bearing race. Also consider replacing the needle cage inside the input shaft secton of the transmission. If your front bearing is worn and noisy that little needle is probably in need of replacement too. I was excited to try my idea and reassembled the transmission without checking out that needle cage. Big mistake, I have a rattle at low RPM in neutral that spins out at 800 to 900 RPM. I will be taking it back apart to fix that in the future. How irrritating. Other than that it is smooth after 10,000 or so miles. I don't think it will ever be a problem again with the non-split inner race bearing in there. Mike in Toronto, is yours still spinning smooth?
I've had a few of these made for people on the board. I just charge for what the bearing/machining/shipping costs. Save these great transmissions!! Happy to help out the handfull of you who have these 5 speed Getrags.

-Dai
#67541 - in reply to #67507
Author
Posted 3/20/2007 4:59 PM
GDog

Date registered: Dec 1899

dai - 3/20/2007 1:45 PM
I don't think it will ever be a problem again with the non-split inner race bearing in there. Mike in Toronto, is yours still spinning smooth?
I've had a few of these made for people on the board. I just charge for what the bearing/machining/shipping costs. Save these great transmissions!! Happy to help out the handfull of you who have these 5 speed Getrags.

-Dai

Has anyone matted a modified Getrag with a turbo diesel and lived to talk about it?
#67544 - in reply to #67541
Author
Posted 3/20/2007 5:19 PM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

I don't know if Mike's is a turbo or not. I am sure it will hold up. A turbo 617.95 is in my truck's future with the Getrag behind it. The bearing I use is an NTN maxi with a load rating that is way stronger than a normal one. It has a solid inner race unlike the silly silly stock one. I think Getrag did this to make assembly easy. All of the motor torque goes through there first. Not a good place for a split race bearing. Also there is no big honky nut holding that split race together, it uses a dainty special clip similar to a circlip to hold all that force spreading the race apart ...together. Bad idea. Really bad idea. If there is any play there there will be radial movement of the input shaft. That will accelerate the wear of that bearing and other parts. A solid inner race will not let that happen.

-Dai
#67547 - in reply to #67544
Author
Posted 3/20/2007 5:51 PM
Brent
Expert

Thanks for the offer Dai! I had planned on trying your bearing mod, I just want to get it out and confirm what I am up against. I didn't get to it today, tomorrow is snowmobile day...thurs is full, hopefully Friday now
#67551 - in reply to #67507
Author
Posted 3/20/2007 9:21 PM
Bruce
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 230GE, 300TD, 200D

Brent - 3/20/2007 6:58 AM

I need to remove the trans and replace the bad input shaft bearing and seal,

Brent,

What are the symptoms your truck exhibits that tells you have a bad input shaft bearing? My truck has the Getrag 5-speed too.

Thanks,

Bruce
#67597 - in reply to #67507
Author
Posted 3/21/2007 12:48 AM
Brent
Expert

Bruce, I have a hard time explaining sounds but it is pretty noisy. At certain speeds it has a strong gear rattle, that drones rythmically. I also have a pretty serious oil leak (definately trans fluid) coming out of the bell housing. If I top it up, it literally drains off to its previous quart low level. Now it pretty much makes noise all the time, the more torque you apply, the louder the whine.

So...You will KNOW when it is time Do you think I went a little too long
#67613 - in reply to #67507
Author
Posted 3/21/2007 3:49 AM
Tjærand
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 1996 G320

I waited too long and ended up stranded on a highway. Note the aluminium meldown in the input shaft picture... When I drained it for oil, various bits of gear teeth fell out and the oil was all silver and gold from brass filings. The input shaft was completely loose and did not turn anything inside the box. Complete breakdown

Edited by Tjærand 3/21/2007 3:55 AM

(input_shaft.jpg)

(bearings.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments input_shaft.jpg (29KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments bearings.jpg (47KB - 1 downloads)
#67616 - in reply to #67507
Author
Posted 3/21/2007 10:42 AM
Bruce
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 230GE, 300TD, 200D
RE: time to pull the Getrag

Brent - 3/20/2007 9:48 PM

So...You will KNOW when it is time Do you think I went a little too long :rollseyes:

Thanks Brent. My G seems to have more noise than I like, but I cant identify it (and I'm no expert in descerning gear noise, bearing noise, etc). Some is tire noise, but with all the problems the 460s have with vibration, noise etc., I always am worried that I'm ignoring something. Like you said, its hard for me to describe also. I cant tell where the noises are from. The only thing I can say is that some of the noise seems to be more noticeable at freeway speeds, seems to be in both 4th and 5th, seems to diminish after some miles. Its not loud or a bad noise, more sort of a drone. Not rythmic.

By the way, I'm using Redline MTL in the tranny and Redline 75-90 in the transfer case. Both times time I changed the tranny fluid there was a small amount of "flowering" on the magnet on the drain plug. No excessive brass in the fluid.

If you or anybody else has any thoughts about what I should look for and listen for, please chime in.

Thanks.

Bruce
#67642 - in reply to #67613
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1