Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : High Revving Engine; Slow Shifting Tranny

Page 1 of 1 1
High Revving Engine; Slow Shifting Tranny
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/22/2007 4:09 PM
86230GE

Date registered: Dec 1899
High Revving Engine; Slow Shifting Tranny

Hello,

When I put my 230GE transmission into drive, I have to rev the engine to ~ 2000 rpms until the needle for the speedometer finally moves.

Then, when I put it into reverse, it revs to ~ 3000 rpms.

I had it towed to a local MB dealer and they said that the transfer case was fine, but that it was a problem with the transmission -- they will have to send it off to their shop downtown to have a look at the tranny.

Questions:
1. Could it be something OTHER than the transmission??

2. If it is found to be the tranny, does a total rebuild need to be done or are there some parts that are replaceable (keeping in mind the damage isn't as bad as it could be)??

We have already had the original transmission rebuilt around 28,000kms ago by MB.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

p.s. I've also posted the same topic on the 'other' forum to see if there are members on there that don't frequent this site and have some knowledge!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/22/2007 8:34 PM
DesertStar
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500
RE: High Revving Engine; Slow Shifting Tranny

Have you checked your transmission modulator valve on the side of the tranny ? Late shifts have been a known symptom of a bad valve or vaccuum line disconnected. Something to check as mine had similar problem with late shifts. Sometimes recent service results in the vaccuum line becoming bumped or pulled.
Mike
#67777 - in reply to #67766
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1