Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Reverse Lights and Rear Fog Lights

Page 1 of 1 1
Reverse Lights and Rear Fog Lights
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/25/2007 3:27 PM
spots350sl
Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle(s): 2003 G500, 1972 350SL
Reverse Lights and Rear Fog Lights

I've been thinking, instead of having a reverse camera light my mothers been nagging about, i think better reverse lights would be better. So, i was thinking, since the G only has one reverse and one rear fog, i would wire the existing lights together (and switch the lenses to match) and add two additional lights on the underside of the bumper. I was just wondering if anyone has done this before?

Also, what do you think i should do? should i use both original in-bumper lights as fogs (with two red lenses) or both reverse lights (with two clear lenses)? Im not sure if it would be better to have the fogs or the reveses on the underside of the bumper. I'm leaning towards having the in-bumper lights as reverse lights and using my new "under bumper" lights as the fogs. I havent bought any parts yet, so, either option is possible.

Ive been looking at lights... found these http://www.autoanything.com/lights/69A2144A0A0.aspx Only thing, if i used them as fogs, they arent red, but come in yellow. Is it legal to have non-red rear fogs? If i cant find red, i might have to put the reverse lights down there and use the in-bumper lights as fog...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/25/2007 8:59 PM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8
Re: Reverse Lights and Rear Fog Lights

On my first and ill fated gray 2002 I replaced the back up light with a hella hid. Very ex@ensive and very worth it. Lit up what was behind nicely. If you are going to do something this would work.
#68006 - in reply to #67980
Author
Posted 3/25/2007 9:09 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Reverse Lights and Rear Fog Lights

spots350sl - 3/25/2007 3:27 PM

I've been thinking, instead of having a reverse camera light my mothers been nagging about, i think better reverse lights would be better. So, i was thinking, since the G only has one reverse and one rear fog, i would wire the existing lights together (and switch the lenses to match) and add two additional lights on the underside of the bumper. I was just wondering if anyone has done this before?

Also, what do you think i should do? should i use both original in-bumper lights as fogs (with two red lenses) or both reverse lights (with two clear lenses)? Im not sure if it would be better to have the fogs or the reveses on the underside of the bumper. I'm leaning towards having the in-bumper lights as reverse lights and using my new "under bumper" lights as the fogs. I havent bought any parts yet, so, either option is possible.

Ive been looking at lights... found these http://www.autoanything.com/lights/69A2144A0A0.aspx Only thing, if i used them as fogs, they arent red, but come in yellow. Is it legal to have non-red rear fogs? If i cant find red, i might have to put the reverse lights down there and use the in-bumper lights as fog... :idea:

Two clears in the bumper is the way that the Europa G500's were delivered.

Check out the lighting forum to see what bulb is recommended as a super replacement. I did, and am 110% happy.
#68008 - in reply to #67980
Author
Posted 3/25/2007 9:13 PM
fourbyfourclub
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 300G

Only one red rear fog light on a LEFT/DRIVER side is permited.
#68009 - in reply to #67980
Author
Posted 3/25/2007 10:03 PM
spots350sl
Veteran

I might just make the two existing lights reverse lights and update the bulbs. Then... my problem will be the warning that my red fog lamp is out. If i put a really big resister (like, a few mega ohms) in there, do you think i could fool the car and not short it out? otherwise, i will just leave the leave the bulb in and just tuck it somewhere. If i do add new fog lamps, do you guys have any better ideas for a spot to put them? i considered putting them on each side of the license plate, but, then they would block the license plate light... god forbid, eh?

(i dont really want to add new lights btw, but dont want the constant "bulb out" warning, bad enough i still have the activate tele-aide)

Edited by spots350sl 3/25/2007 10:05 PM
#68026 - in reply to #67980
Author
Posted 3/26/2007 10:12 AM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Reverse Lights and Rear Fog Lights

if you want to just switch the lenz to the clear and have that light turn on in revers you can probably just run a jump wire over to from the other reverse light. Even with two lights im not sure you will be able to see anything. They are to low to see cars and then you still have the blind spot and tire cover...

Then again i have limo tint on all my windows so you can see anything backing up any way.

Ive been courious about the revever lights.. they are like $140-60 bucks. slide on where the trailer hitch recever goes on american cars.. Just dont think it will work on the G.

You other option (expensive) is to buy a arb roof rack then put two floods on the rack and have them come in revers like some of the rover D110 had...

If it was me and mom was paying id still ooking to a set up that works with the navigaton and get a back up camera.. you will love it. also not bing factory you might be able to get a swich to trun it on so you can check out the hot girl behind you.... that what i want!
#68091 - in reply to #67980
Author
Posted 3/26/2007 10:39 AM
spots350sl
Veteran

I want a roof rack, but, since i live in the city, i barely fit in parking garages as it is, not my mention only having ~2 inches clearance in our garage..

nah, dont need the camera to see the hot girls i just stand up through the sunroof and steer with my foot... haha

i still think i should just get a rear cow catcher...

as for a jump wire between the lights, that will certainly work, however, the voltage will drop, even with them in parallel. might still use a relay and get power straight from the source. I think im going to just replace the bulbs and make both reverse lights, like dutch's

Edited by spots350sl 3/26/2007 10:42 AM
#68095 - in reply to #67980
Author
Posted 3/26/2007 12:38 PM
JamesG
Regular

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2011 G550, 2000 L.C.,1997 L.C.1987 FJ60

On a side note: I see a few boobs in Discoveries around here with there rear fogs on blinding me during the day No Clue
#68110 - in reply to #67980
Author
Posted 3/26/2007 2:45 PM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

That happens here too. and is infuriating.But there is no law to deal with it, only code. I do like the German approach tho, If its on and shouldnt be, You are fined, If its not on and should be, You are fined.
I like rules like that.
You need rules,
If you have no rules where would you be? France.
If you have too many rules where would you be ? Germany.
If you have lots of rules and all ignore them, You are in England.
#68130 - in reply to #67980
Author
Posted 3/26/2007 2:55 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

Really?  The Discos?  I seem to see the Audi's doing it a lot more.  And they have a pair of them (Discos do too), which got me a little confused about Vlad's post, but no worries, I'm confused most of the time.

That was going to be my comment, if you're going to have rear fogs, PLEASE know how and when to use them.  Meaning that if I can see a car ahead in the mist based on just his rear marker lights, there's no need for me to have my rear fog lamp on.  Of course front fogs are also designed for the same sort of specialized use, but that doesn't stop every knucklehead and his brother from driving around with them blazing and ill-aimed day and night.

But it sounds like the plan now is to go to twin reverse lights.  There are also brighter bulbs to put in there, other than HID.  But just be careful not to melt the housings.  Not usually a problem as the reverse lights are not on for long at a stretch anyway.

#68133 - in reply to #68110
Author
Posted 3/26/2007 6:12 PM
spots350sl
Veteran

I never ever use the rear fog lights, i just dont want the car complaining about and out bulb.... plus, dont want a useless switch, would annoy me...
#68156 - in reply to #68133
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1