Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Getrag trans removal ???

Page 1 of 1 1
Getrag trans removal ???
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/25/2007 9:07 PM
Brent
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI
Getrag trans removal ???

I have it pretty much ready to pull out. I think I have two more bellhousing bolts at the very top to remove. I can not see either of them, the one on the exhaust side I can almost feel though The one on the intake side seems to have a bracket around it that routes breather lines.

I will try a longer extention and try to fish it in from the tail end of the trans. If there is an easier way, by all means, lay it on me I have dropped the trans down in back but still can't get much up there and raising the trans doesn't help access from the top either.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/25/2007 10:15 PM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: Getrag trans removal ???

I thought it might have been just me. Those two bolts are very difficult to remove. I used uber extentions from way in the back. 1/2" drive around 3' long. I did what you did and let the rear of the transmission down until the fan blades were touching the radiator core at the bottom. You may have a different clearance issue than mine because of your gas 2.8. I didn't over stress the motor mounts doing that. Looking at the problem from the transmission end looking forward the upper left bolt has a bracket that holds a steel breather line to that point so it can connect with the others up in the engine compartment up high. That adds to the fun. Come at it from way in the back and hug that tranny. It is a heavy one for an alloy case MB unit. Once those are free it comes out easily. I found it went in much easier than I expected. I hope your gas motor doesn't make it more difficult than the diesel. It is such a hard job because they built up the chassis and then lowered the body down over it without much worry about removing the transmission later. A very tight area up in there. I wish I could hand you a cold IPA my friend.

-Dai
#68027 - in reply to #68007
Author
Posted 3/26/2007 12:05 AM
Bruce
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 230GE, 300TD, 200D
Re: Getrag trans removal ???

Brent

I've not removed the Getrag from my G so I cant be of direct help, but I've removed a number of the auto trannies from the 123 MB cars. Just the approach Dai suggested is the key to the top two bell housing bolts on those. A long extension and a wobble head socket from the tail end of the tranny.

Let us know what you find when you get it out.

Bruce
#68037 - in reply to #68027
Author
Posted 3/26/2007 1:13 AM
Tjærand
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 1996 G320
RE: Getrag trans removal ???

It's a lot of help having someone up in the engine compartment grabbing and guiding the extension onto the bolts. Iver460 and I used a 1 meter extension with Iver beneath the car working blindly and me on my head in the engine cursing and shouting. It just takes a lot of trial and error
#68044 - in reply to #68007
Author
Posted 3/26/2007 5:49 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
That settles it!

I'm definitely going to pull the motor when I change mine to the 5-speed.  I have a couple other little things to attend to that will also be a LOT easier to get at with the motor out, and the diesel is so easy to pull that I think I'm going that way for sure.  Of course, having put the motor in twice and taken it out once already makes things go pretty quick. 

Good luck Brent!

-Dave G.

#68153 - in reply to #68007
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1