Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Upcoming trip to MOAB

Page 1 of 1 1
Upcoming trip to MOAB
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/27/2007 11:47 AM
SocalAstro
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 03 G500, 06 Audi A3 2.0
Upcoming trip to MOAB

Hi Guys,

my current work project is coming to end in the next week or so, and I'm planing to take about 7-10 days off for a trip to the Moab Area.
I have been reading "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads and 4WD Trails" by Charles A. Wells and it's a great reference guide.
Are there any others (I'm sure there are) that I should check out before heading out.

My 03 G500 is mostly stock save for some larger Bridgestone Tires (32" approx.)
I also carry an air-tank for inflating the tires after airing down on trails.

The aforementioned book rates Posison Spider Mesa as a "Difficult" trail. Any thoughts on if I should attempt this or should I pass?

My trip will start around the first weekend in April (the 7th or 8th) and wil last till the following weekend at least.
If anyone else from this board will be in the area, PM me and we can exhange cell #'s, etc..

regards,
Leon
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/27/2007 12:57 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
RE: Upcoming trip to MOAB

Some write ups of that trail and others with Gs on them here, if a little dated:

http://www.clubgwagen.com/trailreport/reports/0901poisonspider.php

-Dave G.

#68228 - in reply to #68225
Author
Posted 3/27/2007 1:42 PM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

I found Poison Spider Mesa fairly easy - use it as a starting trip to get a feel how they rate their trails.
Pritchett Canyon will be over your head.
Moab Rim Trail is easy in general with a few spots that need undivided attention and some driving skills (NO momentum!). Slow and easy will do it. Use your lockers before you lose traction. Its always best to use all lockers and then find out which ones will reduce your mobility (usually the front) - rather than using to few lockers.

Hell's Revenge can even be driven with a stock G500. 

Proper tire pressure for most trails would be 15 psi with 32" (16' wheels)  tires 

#68231 - in reply to #68225
Author
Posted 3/27/2007 2:02 PM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI

I have done Poison Spider many times with G groups. It is a great trail with some challenging obstacles. As Harold mentioned, Hells Revenge is a great one close to town and as a starter I have always done Fins-N-Things. If you do Fins first, you can do Hells Revenge afterwards, they are very close to each other. Moab Rim will test you in the first 1/4 mile, but I have seen it done with stock G's. I have also done Golden Spike but I wouldn't try it alone, and that one is a very long day.

I think Wells book is about the best resource for the area. The G in stock form can do just about anything in the book except the last 4 or so trails as listed by difficulty, Prichett definately being on that list.

I'd meet up with you but alas the trans will not likely be done and back in the G by then
#68235 - in reply to #68225
Author
Posted 3/27/2007 2:24 PM
Woody
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): '84 280GE -> 300GD turbo, '84 300SD veg, 06 Navion
Re: Upcoming trip to MOAB

My only experiences in Moab are the annual mountain bike trips taken with my buddies. We've learned to avoid Easter Weekend because of the Jeep Jamboree. Expect all the hotels and campgrounds to be full and every trail occupied with several long Jeep trains daily. The Jamboree culminates on Easter Sunday. Before we learned about that event and showed up in Moab on the same weekend, we just went over to Fruita, CO. to sample the tasty single track there. Unless you want to explore those jeep trails in large groups, I'd stay well away until after Easter - just my bias - I prefer the peace and solitude Moab offers any other time of year.

Haven't ever done any four-wheelin in Moab but it all looks very difficult from the seat of a mountain bike. Poison Spider has two "problem" areas that I can think of... and Pritchett, like Harald said, fuggedaboudit.

Have a great time!
#68237 - in reply to #68225
Author
Posted 3/27/2007 2:45 PM
SocalAstro
Veteran

Thanks for all the helpful information guys. I knew I'd be asking the right crowd :-)
I didn't know about the jeep event on Easter weekend. I will try to avoid that alltogether, as my travel plans are failry flexible.
Much more reading and preperation to do before I head out for sure.

Harald,
WRT to tire pressure, I don't usually go below 20Psi on the 18" wheels I have w/ ~32" tires. Do you think it would be possible to go lower than the 15psi on the 16" wheels?

Thanks,
Leon

#68239 - in reply to #68225
Author
Posted 3/27/2007 3:12 PM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

Leon,

I would not lower the 32"/18" combo below 20 psi - except maybe at the beach with soft sand at around 15 psi.

Same goes for 32"/16" combo - 15 psi is about right. Lower poses several dangers. At the beach some of those dangers are not present and you cold carefully drive it at 10 psi.

The Moab Easter Jeep Safari (Jeepers Jamboree and Jeep Jamboree are something completely different) is always the week before Easter. http://www.4x4abc.com/4x4trips/jeepers-jamboree.html
#68240 - in reply to #68239
Author
Posted 3/28/2007 5:21 PM
SocalAstro
Veteran

Thanks for posting the link Dave. Looks like a good time was had by all :-)

-Leon

hipine - 3/27/2007 9:57 AM

Some write ups of that trail and others with Gs on them here, if a little dated:

http://www.clubgwagen.com/trailreport/reports/0901poisonspider.php

-Dave G.

#68372 - in reply to #68228
Author
Posted 3/28/2007 5:23 PM
SocalAstro
Veteran

Brent,

too bad about your G not being ready yet. There's always next time. I make the trek out to Utah twice a year, possibly more if my schedule allows.

Thanks for the info on the trails.

-Leon

Brent - 3/27/2007 11:02 AM

I have done Poison Spider many times with G groups. It is a great trail with some challenging obstacles. As Harold mentioned, Hells Revenge is a great one close to town and as a starter I have always done Fins-N-Things. If you do Fins first, you can do Hells Revenge afterwards, they are very close to each other. Moab Rim will test you in the first 1/4 mile, but I have seen it done with stock G's. I have also done Golden Spike but I wouldn't try it alone, and that one is a very long day.

I think Wells book is about the best resource for the area. The G in stock form can do just about anything in the book except the last 4 or so trails as listed by difficulty, Prichett definately being on that list.

I'd meet up with you but alas the trans will not likely be done and back in the G by then :(
#68373 - in reply to #68235
Author
Posted 3/28/2007 5:28 PM
SocalAstro
Veteran

Thanks for the heads-up Woody. I wont be leaving LA until Monday or possibly Tuesday (a friend may join in).

Peace,
Leon

woody - 3/27/2007 11:24 AM

My only experiences in Moab are the annual mountain bike trips taken with my buddies. We've learned to avoid Easter Weekend because of the Jeep Jamboree. Expect all the hotels and campgrounds to be full and every trail occupied with several long Jeep trains daily. The Jamboree culminates on Easter Sunday. Before we learned about that event and showed up in Moab on the same weekend, we just went over to Fruita, CO. to sample the tasty single track there. Unless you want to explore those jeep trails in large groups, I'd stay well away until after Easter - just my bias - I prefer the peace and solitude Moab offers any other time of year.

Haven't ever done any four-wheelin in Moab but it all looks very difficult from the seat of a mountain bike. Poison Spider has two "problem" areas that I can think of... and Pritchett, like Harald said, fuggedaboudit.

Have a great time!
#68374 - in reply to #68237
Author
Posted 3/29/2007 2:00 PM
burqueDOKA
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 1550L37Doka, 404 ROCKMOG, '00 G500

Leon, when are you thinking of going? I will be up there in May with the unimog guys, we'd love to see some of the G's there as well! -James
#68506 - in reply to #68225
Author
Posted 3/29/2007 2:06 PM
burqueDOKA
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 1550L37Doka, 404 ROCKMOG, '00 G500

Duh, I guess it would help if I read your post completley Well anyway have fun, if anyone is intersted though, the group of mogs that used meet over easter jeep safari, will now be up there over May 12th - 19th. It would be really cool to have some g's there as well.
#68507 - in reply to #68225
Author
Posted 3/29/2007 3:59 PM
Woody
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): '84 280GE -> 300GD turbo, '84 300SD veg, 06 Navion

SocalAstro - 3/28/2007 2:28 PM

Thanks for the heads-up Woody. I wont be leaving LA until Monday or possibly Tuesday (a friend may join in).

Peace,
Leon

You're quite welcome. Another small tip - if you enjoy beer, you may want to bring your own unless you don't mind 3.2%!
#68518 - in reply to #68374
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1