Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : G55K pricing and importing

Page 1 of 1 1
G55K pricing and importing
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/5/2007 8:32 PM
Maxwell Smart

Date registered: Dec 1899
G55K pricing and importing

So a friend has been looking to buy a late model G - ideally no older than 2003 and as close to 2007 as possible. The G55K has caught his eye primarily because used ones don't seem to change hands for much more if anymore (at least in Europe) than a good G500.

What are people's thoughts on this? Mine was that that would be the case due to the increase insurance, possible repair costs (??), fuel consumption etc

His budget is somewhat elastic and probably would ceiling at around $100K USD. I'm trying to tell him to save his money and just get a G500 or if he really wants to spend then to get a G320 CDI.

Also has anybody ever done any importing from the US? Wonder how hard it would be as your costs are just way to cheap to pass by considering the pound to dollar ratio at the moment.

Comments appreciated thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/6/2007 5:37 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: G55K pricing and importing

Maxwell Smart - 4/5/2007 8:32 PM

So a friend has been looking to buy a late model G - ideally no older than 2003 and as close to 2007 as possible. The G55K has caught his eye primarily because used ones don't seem to change hands for much more if anymore (at least in Europe) than a good G500.

What are people's thoughts on this? Mine was that that would be the case due to the increase insurance, possible repair costs (??), fuel consumption etc

His budget is somewhat elastic and probably would ceiling at around $100K USD. I'm trying to tell him to save his money and just get a G500 or if he really wants to spend then to get a G320 CDI.

Also has anybody ever done any importing from the US? Wonder how hard it would be as your costs are just way to cheap to pass by considering the pound to dollar ratio at the moment.

Comments appreciated thanks.

This fellow (Msg # 249 in the thread) seems to have done it and is not very happy:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@@.eeca4f1/248

Sadly, there does not appear to be any facility for email or PM on that forum.
#69231 - in reply to #69204
Author
Posted 4/6/2007 7:13 AM
Maxwell Smart

Re: G55K pricing and importing

Thanks Dutch - obviously worth looking into whether the warranties are transferable to Europe then if he buys say a 2006 or so.

Anybody have thoughts on the G55K vs G500 in regards to why the pricing has dropped on the former so much?
#69234 - in reply to #69204
Author
Posted 4/6/2007 7:31 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo
RE: G55K pricing and importing

This may be stating the obvious but has he driven the various Gs? He should try to take a test drive in each and determine which is best suited for his driving style. Then once he has decided look toward where to buy one.

I don't know much about exporting a G back over the pond but you are right with the pound vs the dollar right now the difference will undoubtedly pay for the shipping.

Mark
#69239 - in reply to #69204
Author
Posted 4/6/2007 7:20 PM
Maxwell Smart

He has driven a G500 and is in his own words "a self confessed poser" who is interested in the design status of a cult car.

I'll be lucky if I can talk him onto a dirt road once he gets his G but I am trying.... this is a man who can spend days agonising over the right shade of grey.

He owns a Lotus Exige S because he appreciates the design for raw performance of the car and is drawn to a similar ethos in the G.

Hence his desire for a G55k for the extra performance - which in my eyes he doesn't need as he will keep the Lotus.

Anyhow what do people see as the draw backs of the G55K besides the stiffer ride, less clearance and more bling - which he would remove. He keeps asking me why they are going for virtually the same money as a same year G500 to which I have no real answer.

#69291 - in reply to #69204
Author
Posted 4/6/2007 11:57 PM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

I don't see any drawback in a G55K - it has everything in place you would need to go off-road. Limitation to 18" is not so practical, but a 305 or 325 tire would compensate some.
I drove a prototype through some pretty rough stuff (Monument Valley and Moab) for 10 days or so and absolutely loved it. http://www.rubicon-trail.com/public/AMG55.mov
Drove it in Costa Rica on a nasty custom built test track and loved even more. When its time to replace my G500 I will be shopping for a G55K.
The tight on-road handling can easily be softened if needed.

#69306 - in reply to #69291
Author
Posted 4/7/2007 6:28 PM
Maxwell Smart

4x4abc - 4/7/2007 4:57 AM

I don't see any drawback in a G55K - it has everything in place you would need to go off-road. Limitation to 18" is not so practical, but a 305 or 325 tire would compensate some.
I drove a prototype through some pretty rough stuff (Monument Valley and Moab) for 10 days or so and absolutely loved it. http://www.rubicon-trail.com/public/AMG55.mov
Drove it in Costa Rica on a nasty custom built test track and loved even more. When its time to replace my G500 I will be shopping for a G55K.
The tight on-road handling can easily be softened if needed.

Great thanks, will tell him to go ahead and buy it - but to remember to leave me the car keys....
#69392 - in reply to #69306
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1