Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 290 turbodiesel heat

Page 1 of 1 1
290 turbodiesel heat
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/13/2007 1:28 PM
Boy G
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): Diesel G's: 617A and 602
290 turbodiesel heat

My 290 turbodiesel runs at 90 - 100 C most of the time and goes up higher towing and climbing. It just feels like its running too hot.

I have an EGT and alarm on it and never let it get higher than 500C. I service diligently.

What is normal?

Do these motors last as well in a G as in a Sprinter? Ie do they get high milages or not.

Is the G variant a downtuned Sprinter?

I feel that I can't ask this motor for all its power for any length of time.

Advice?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/13/2007 2:30 PM
mortinson
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon
RE: 290 turbodiesel heat

Boy G - 4/13/2007 7:28 PM

My 290 turbodiesel runs at 90 - 100 C most of the time and goes up higher towing and climbing. It just feels like its running too hot.

I have an EGT and alarm on it and never let it get higher than 500C. I service diligently.

What is normal?

Do these motors last as well in a G as in a Sprinter? Ie do they get high milages or not.

Is the G variant a downtuned Sprinter?

I feel that I can't ask this motor for all its power for any length of time.

Advice?

I don't think that this is quite normal and if I were you, I would check all the cooling system. First get a thermostat that would open at 85º, then check the radiator for cool areas (this would point to some blockage in it). If faulty, replace or recore. Check viscous coupling of engine fan. If faulty, replace. And last, replace, if necessary, water pump. I see sprinters blast down the motorway at speeds around 100 mph on the motorway here (almost as hot as your part of the world in summer) and the temperature gauge does not move from 85º.
#69999 - in reply to #69991
Author
Posted 4/13/2007 6:41 PM
pistonhead

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle(s): Nissan QX.

RE: 290 turbodiesel heat

Assuming all other mechanicals checkout and everything Mortison has suggested, is the anti freeze at its correct strength? Or for that matter have you any in? Has it been renewed after every two or three years? There are good reasons for this.

Anti freeze, not only protects engines from freezing, as is required in colder countries, but they perform two other functions.

To a degree some antifreeze protects the water at higher temperatures from overheating, by raising the boiling point temperature higher. There are products to boost that element of the antifreeze as an additive. It is expensive, though.

The last most neglected property of anti freeze is that it protects the internals of the engine block for rust and corrosion. The anti corrosion deteriorates over time, either two or three years now, some going onto four or five years, but these are usually after market fits rather than manufacturer applications. The Anti freeze element can be tested by garages with their testers, but they can not test for the corrosion factors, hence, the regular coolant renewals suggested in owners manuals.
#70025 - in reply to #69991
Author
Posted 4/14/2007 2:45 AM
Boy G
Expert

Re: 290 turbodiesel heat

Thanks

I am suspicious of the viscous coupling as there doesn't appear to be a strong correlation to the temp guage and its audible lockup. But even when it is on lockup the temp is still well above 85.

I believe the coolant is correct, clean and there isn't any blockage.

I have cleaned all the debris out between the rad, A/c rad, intercooler rad etc

I believe that DC sends "tropical thermostats" as a rule to us in SA that open at 85C. Thanks Mortinson I'll check anyway.

Speaking with the other 602 engined brethren here it does not seem that my problem is unique. I am suspicious that this cooling system is just not good enough in hot climates, ie poor airflow, not enough water capacity or the like.

DC here has NO ONE who can say anything to you with any degree of authority as to what "normal" is.

I also believe that the sprinter has a larger radiator. Anyone know?
#70060 - in reply to #69991
Author
Posted 4/14/2007 4:10 AM
G wizz
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): Dont own a G anymore, Too expensive!!!!

all our sprinters run at between 80 and 90, and very rarely move above this mark, but then we dont have the temps you guys have. Have you tried a water wetter additive, this works well and can reduce temp by 10 degrees in some cases. I have it in my g560 and it works well.

read this:-
http://e30m3performance.com/myths/more_myths1/Water_Wetter/water_we...

Edited by G wizz 4/14/2007 4:11 AM
#70067 - in reply to #69991
Author
Posted 4/14/2007 9:59 AM
mortinson
Expert

Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon

Boy G - 4/14/2007 8:45 AM

Thanks

I am suspicious of the viscous coupling as there doesn't appear to be a strong correlation to the temp guage and its audible lockup. But even when it is on lockup the temp is still well above 85.

I believe that DC sends "tropical thermostats" as a rule to us in SA that open at 85C. Thanks Mortinson I'll check anyway.

Speaking with the other 602 engined brethren here it does not seem that my problem is unique. I am suspicious that this cooling system is just not good enough in hot climates, ie poor airflow, not enough water capacity or the like.

DC here has NO ONE who can say anything to you with any degree of authority as to what "normal" is.

A way of testing the viscous coupling is to open the bonnet with hot engine (about 90º) and accelerate the engine manually using the linkage to the injection pump. The airflow and noise created by the fan should feel almost unbearable.

I have had very good reports of people using the MB T-30 cooling fluid

(type30 antifreeze.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments type30 antifreeze.jpg (105KB - 0 downloads)
#70098 - in reply to #70060
Author
Posted 4/14/2007 2:06 PM
Boy G
Expert

I think that's the stuff I used when I last drained. I'm going to fiddle with that coupling next - thanks for the pointers.

#70116 - in reply to #69991
Author
Posted 4/16/2007 6:41 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL

Boy G - 4/13/2007 11:45 PM

Thanks

I can't speak to the 290. The OM606.96x engines (24V 6cyl 3L) seem to always run cool. The thermostat is set to start opening at 80C and the electrical fan is set for 110C. The engine driven fan is/was set somewhere in between. I have no idea where, since I pulled it. All supplemental cooling is now done with the electric fan which has now been set at 87C. The engine has never passed 87C since (except once when I forgot to put in the fan fuse). I don't do any towing, but I do climb long hot passes in the desert (1000M+ climbs).

Perhaps the 290 is similarly configured and the engine driven fan is not engaging.
#70342 - in reply to #70060
Author
Posted 4/17/2007 3:47 AM
Boy G
Expert

Alan,

Did you remove your main engine fan??

Is the electric fan an aftermarket unit?

My truck has 2 electric fans too but is only active with the air - conditioner - is this wrong?

Rgds
#70380 - in reply to #69991
Author
Posted 4/17/2007 3:46 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL

Boy G - 4/17/2007 12:47 AM

Alan,

Did you remove your main engine fan??

Is the electric fan an aftermarket unit?

My truck has 2 electric fans too but is only active with the air - conditioner - is this wrong?

Rgds

The factory AC fans are what I am using. The original design was to activate the fans (they are wired together) in two situations. 1) AC pressure greater than some value; and/or 2) radiator return temperature >110C. I've left all of that in place and added a module that measures the radiator return temp and spins up the fans from 30%->100% in the range from 85C to 90C. I took out the fluid coupled fan and shroud. That makes for a lot of room under the hood.
#70436 - in reply to #70380
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1