Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : MB FACTORY NAVIGATION ON NEWER Gs

Page 1 of 1 1
MB FACTORY NAVIGATION ON NEWER Gs
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/18/2007 3:09 AM
Linda in Santa Cruz

Date registered: Dec 1899
MB FACTORY NAVIGATION ON NEWER Gs

My '05 G500 came with the now-standard navigation. Curiously, the original owner of my truck used a touch-screen navigation box set on the dash instead of the one that came with the car. He felt touch screen was just much easier.

Do those of you who have experience with MB's navigation like and use it? What are its merits and failings in your opinion?

-- Linda
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/18/2007 5:29 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: MB FACTORY NAVIGATION ON NEWER Gs

Linda in Santa Cruz - 4/18/2007 3:09 AM

My '05 G500 came with the now-standard navigation. Curiously, the original owner of my truck used a touch-screen navigation box set on the dash instead of the one that came with the car. He felt touch screen was just much easier.

Do those of you who have experience with MB's navigation like and use it? What are its merits and failings in your opinion?

-- Linda

From what I understand, the G NAV is CD based; and as such, you need several of them to plan a long trip. I use a Garmin unit in my G, as my G does not have the NAV. It has the complete North America map loaded in it; and, in my opinion, up on the dash is a much better location for the screen than the low down in the dash position of the G. I don't have to drop my line of sight off the road to use it.

I have the newer DVD based NAV (which has the entire US on one disk) in my ML, but would prefer to use the Garmin unit instead. The Garmin unit has a lot more features than the MB unit. Sadly, the Garmin unit will not work in my ML because of the IR coated windshield which blocks all reception on the Garmin. Yes, I could set out the external antenna for the Garmin, but that one more loose wire crisscrossing the dash.
#70493 - in reply to #70482
Author
Posted 4/18/2007 5:47 AM
Maxwell Smart

Re: MB FACTORY NAVIGATION ON NEWER Gs

Dutch which Garmin are you using?

I was thinking of getting one with the FM transmitter (Nuvi 660 or upwards) but was told that the range was very weak and may not reach the antena on the G at the back. Wondering if you have experience with this?
#70496 - in reply to #70482
Author
Posted 4/18/2007 8:50 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8

The MB CD Nav system is not as feature rich or user friendly as the commercial units. It also will not guide you to a specific address. It will only guide you to a group of addresses. However if you use the Location Feature once you get there and then lock in based on longitude and latitude then it works as a regular unit. I have a Magellan in my 99 and a factory unit. The reception on the Magellan ?because of the flat and shallow windscreen ain't great in the 99. Like Dutch I will not be putting any wires to corrode in these vehicles.
#70508 - in reply to #70482
Author
Posted 4/18/2007 12:36 PM
KERR

It also depends on where you live.

Im on the Va tn line. So half my day im in va other half in TN... To make nav work you have to swap disk... Then where i have a 02 the info was recorded in 2001 says the box and apparently Bristol va / tn had not been created on the earth yet because it dont not pick up the city or any road. If you use the major highway it tell's you that " OFF ROAD"....

In a nut shell unless the 05 is a new unit, dont even bother with trying to use it.

If i get time tonight ill show you all what i mean..
#70520 - in reply to #70482
Author
Posted 4/18/2007 1:38 PM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8

Kerr is absolutely correct on all disc sets prior to 04 but the newer sets actually have all major interstate roads so that if one were to program New Mexico to Bronx, NY, the new mexico disc could map it and get me to the bronx at which point I would need the local disc. This has made the GPS system infinitely more useful for me as I travel back and forth between Washington, DC and NYC but it also was great for Virginia (Williamsburg) and Tremblant, Canada.
#70525 - in reply to #70482
Author
Posted 4/18/2007 9:29 PM
UberXY

RE: MB FACTORY NAVIGATION ON NEWER Gs

Any GPS that does not have a USB port for downloading routes, way points, and Points of Interest files is totally hobbled right from the start - it's like running the 500 on 2 cylinders. I keep the NAV on just because it looks nice, but if I am going anywhere, I take the 376C off my motorcycle and put it in Der Wagen. Have a look at

www.poi-factory.com

to get a quick idea of the kind of data a nominal GPS system needs to serve up.

In MB's defense, I have never seen an OEM car GPS that could do 1/10 of what a $700 Garmin and Mapsource can do for you.

Steve

02 M5
00 M5
84 Carrera Targa (just got here yesterday)

Edited by UberXY 4/18/2007 9:31 PM
#70589 - in reply to #70482
Author
Posted 4/18/2007 9:38 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

Maxwell Smart - 4/18/2007 5:47 AM

Dutch which Garmin are you using?

I was thinking of getting one with the FM transmitter (Nuvi 660 or upwards) but was told that the range was very weak and may not reach the antena on the G at the back. Wondering if you have experience with this?

I use a Garmin 2720. It does not have the FM receiver or transmitter. It does work very well and is easily moved from one vehicle to another.
#70592 - in reply to #70496
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1