Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Importation in the 80's?

Page 1 of 1 1
Importation in the 80's?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/19/2007 12:11 PM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55
Importation in the 80's?

A year ago or so when trying to get a key for my 86 300GD the dealer told me( consider the source here) that my truck had been imported by Europa. This I believe they inferred from a discussion they had with someone( Russ maybe? ) that has the Europa records. The strange thing is that my door jamb has a sticker that reads, " Imported by Joseph A. Bahnatka 1 Rhinecliff Rd. Rhinebeck N.Y."
Does this name sound familiar to anyone? Any connection to Europa or is this a differant registered importer or an individual?
There are two reasons I bring this up now,

I just got a letter from the S.C. motor vehicles people a year after receiving my title that they want it back becuase there is something wrong with it. ( I haveyet the follow-up with them)

Also while tracing some electrical gremlins I have discovered that all of the lighting wiring( turn signals, parking, brakes, etc, front and back) have been spliced together right at the light fixture by being twisted together ( horrible, but very neatly done) and wrapped with electrical tape. Is there normally a change to the lighting when G's come to the States? How did Europa do this if at all?
Obviously here are my concerns:
Did some individual bring my truck in and do a hack job on whatever conversions were required?
Is there a problem with my title? I've heard of some others that had improperly imported G's.
Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciatted.
Jonathan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/19/2007 1:20 PM
4x4abc

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 02 G500
RE: Importation in the 80's?

Jonathan,,

there were no RI in the eighties. Anyone could bring in vehicles. Europa was only one of many independent grey market importers. The modifications to comply with US law were done by numerous conversion shops (some did horrible jobs) and fees were between $1500 and $3500. Even Europa had some of the (EPA) work done by butcher shops. DOT was probably done in house.
Yes the headlights needed to be switched from H4 to US sealed beams (going from good to inferior) - many put the H4 back in after registration.
Only Washington (search for phone numbers in older posts on this board) can tell you whether the importation was done properly. Most likely it was done right since you have a door sticker with an importer.

#70696 - in reply to #70691
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1