Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Auto tranny lag ?

Page 1 of 1 1
Auto tranny lag ?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/19/2007 5:38 PM
Dr. Rob
Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): 280GE LWB, 280E Ambulance
Auto tranny lag ?

There is always a two-second lag when shifting from D to R. It has always been there; nothing new. Only now I'm starting to get a little hung up on it.

Driving... stopping, stopped. Shift to R, WHIRRRRrrrrrrrrCLUNK away we go.

Just wondering what causes that, and if there is a quick fix. Seem to recall everybody's fave TV automotive guru Edd China having a quick remedy.

Similar in other shifts, but not as much. And maybe it isn't really that long; it just feels long. One second. Also, when making either shift with your foot on the brake, the car reacts violently, really hunkers down like a puma ready to pounce, like a coiled spring. The hood drops like four inches. Eeehhhmm... Normal?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/19/2007 5:49 PM
Tjærand
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 1996 G320
RE: Auto tranny lag ?

It's not supposed to whirr and clunk. Some lag is normal on an old auto but if it's making funny noises you might want to check out the bands and clutches. Anyways, FLUIDS!. Changed? Levels OK? Filters OK?

My auto box lags about just below a second if I leave the throttle unthrottled. If I apply some throttle it reacts instantly and with a clunk.

Also, the coiling up to unleash it's infernal power sounds normal, alltough 4 inches is measured with a Swedish ruler right? Unless your idle is very high? I had a 500SE with hilariously high idle and if I put it in D when cold and held the brake it would drop like a lowrider... You torque wants to jump onto the asphalt and release it's energy there.
#70726 - in reply to #70723
Author
Posted 4/20/2007 2:55 AM
elevatorbernie
Expert

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 1989 280GE

Dr. Rob - 4/19/2007 2:38 PM

Also, when making either shift with your foot on the brake, the car reacts violently, really hunkers down like a puma ready to pounce,

Worn shocks
#70751 - in reply to #70723
Author
Posted 4/20/2007 5:24 AM
DesertStar
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500

I agree with Elevatorbernie on the shocks....new shocks stopped my lowering of the front end,vibrations when running over bumps on highway,vibrations on curves and no leans on cornering anymore.

I had to fiddle with my transmission to get it to upshift/downshift to spec speeds and smooth out the actual shifts. It took a bit as both the control pressure rod (connected to the rod going over valvecover) and the modulator valve on the side of the transmision (that of which has a vacuum line running to it) has to be "just right". Too little pressure on the control rod without corresponding vacuum pressure results in either early/late shifts as well as hard (neck snapping) shifts or the other extreme of to soft and sloppy. I used this link to help me understand a bit more as well as refer to the Workshop Manual.
http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com/722.3and722.416_transmission_adj...

The delay in the shift to Reverse may be a different beast all together, but I bet since your forward shifts arent right, this may solve that as well.

P.S. when playing around with the modulator valve WATCH FOR THE HOT EXHAUST PIPE. I didnt and smelled something burning....ME

Mike

Edited by DesertStar 4/20/2007 5:24 AM
#70758 - in reply to #70723
Author
Posted 4/20/2007 6:16 AM
Dr. Rob
Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): 280GE LWB, 280E Ambulance
Re: Auto tranny lag ?

"neck snapping shifts..." "like a puma ready to pounce" "infernal power"...

Okay, thanks for info. I'll look into it eventually; just wanted to maybe get my bearings on the scenario. In a way I'm starting to like the Cadillac-like ride provided by worn shocks. You can hit potholes at 50 in the Ambulance and not even notice until the waves stop. The G is a bit more firm as yet.
#70760 - in reply to #70723
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1