Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : A Mystery Solved

Page 1 of 1 1
A Mystery Solved
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/20/2007 12:38 PM
Phil
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): 1984 280GE
A Mystery Solved

Hi All-

With all the rain we have had in the east, I found a significant puddle on the passenger-side floor. This has been a small problem for me as well and never quite new the cause. I thought it might be a gap in the door sill. This time, however, I decided to do some legwork, and poured a glass of water in the vent just below the wiper blades. A small trickle of water come from under m A/C was the result.

When I removed the heater core from the top of the vent, I found that the drain at the bottom of cowl box was severely plugged with dirt and crap. Picture 1 shows the mess AFTER a few minutes of cleaning the crap out (Note the nail).

Apparently, with the drain blocked-up, water collected until it was high enough to enter through a breach somewhere in the seam between the cowl and the plastic lining. The water should have drained down and out a spit in the undercarriage. The dirt and crap was so built-up, however, that it was not getting through the split. To fix this I took a 6- inch rubber hose, approx >19mm in diameter, and pushed it down into the drain. Picture 2 shows the tube, which was just t he right size to fit snuggly in the drain, but still loose enough to be pulled out and cleaned later. The length of the tube goes past the split and allow drainage to go past the under carriage unimpeded.

After cleaning out the box, I used a water-proof caulk to seal the seam between the lining and cowl (Picture 3). I then sprayed the seam with 3M undercoating. I think this should keep things dry.

I know this has been a problem with a lot of 280 and older G-owners, so I hope this post helps those of you with mystery leaks in the forward compartments. Those of you that don’t have this joy, I hope this prompts you to check that drain for debris.

Phil

(DSC00222Dy.jpg)

(DSC00227Tb.jpg)

(DSC00232TB.jpg)

(DSC00234TBB.jpg)

(DSC00229CK.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00222Dy.jpg (59KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments DSC00227Tb.jpg (24KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments DSC00232TB.jpg (31KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments DSC00234TBB.jpg (36KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments DSC00229CK.jpg (33KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/20/2007 2:40 PM
Inkblotz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo
Re: A Mystery Solved

Wow what a mess did you need a shovel? Nice clean up. Is the 3m undercoating petroleum based or a plastic type?

Mark
#70800 - in reply to #70793
Author
Posted 4/20/2007 3:26 PM
Phil
Veteran

Re: A Mystery Solved

Inkblotz - 4/20/2007 2:40 PM

Wow what a mess did you need a shovel? Nice clean up. Is the 3m undercoating petroleum based or a plastic type?

Mark

Not quite sure about the 3m; but, given the extremely foul odor, I'm 90% sure its has a petroleum base. If you can get past the smell its a great product and can be purchased at any Sherwin Williams store. I jack up my truck every other fall, give it a good cleaning, and apply two coats to the entire underside & the wheel-wells.
#70805 - in reply to #70800
Author
Posted 4/20/2007 3:39 PM
Inkblotz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo
RE: A Mystery Solved

Be careful with any petroleum based undercoating. In the 80's it was commonplace to use this kind of undercoating. I remember the dealerships would offer undercoating that they would spray on while on the lift. Many years later they discovered that it actually trapped moisture and was a severe cause of rust. IE a rock or something would nick it and then water would get under it and not be released. They found that a great paint job, a plasticised undercoating or galvanized metal were really better solutions. Plus when a rock left its mark you could see it better and repair it.

Sounds like you keep your truck very clean as it is. Just be aware of what could be hidden.

Mark

Edited by Inkblotz 4/20/2007 3:40 PM
#70810 - in reply to #70793
Author
Posted 4/20/2007 4:54 PM
Phil
Veteran

RE: A Mystery Solved

Inkblotz - 4/20/2007 3:39 PM

Be careful with any petroleum based undercoating. In the 80's it was commonplace to use this kind of undercoating. I remember the dealerships would offer undercoating that they would spray on while on the lift. Many years later they discovered that it actually trapped moisture and was a severe cause of rust. IE a rock or something would nick it and then water would get under it and not be released. They found that a great paint job, a plasticised undercoating or galvanized metal were really better solutions. Plus when a rock left its mark you could see it better and repair it.

Sounds like you keep your truck very clean as it is. Just be aware of what could be hidden.

Mark

I have heard that, and remain quite concerned about the cover-up problem. That's why I only apply every other year. I spend the fall of the off year under the truck poking around and looking for potential problem spots. After a while you get a sense of where and what to look for.

I also heard that priming and painting over the same spot can trap and create the same hidden problem. Like anything else, there are trade-offs.
#70818 - in reply to #70810
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1