Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Leaking CV boot, I guess

Page 1 of 1 1
Leaking CV boot, I guess
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 12:11 AM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
Leaking CV boot, I guess

I was topping up the axle ball grease on my truck only to spot some murky looking grease inside the right axle ball. The grease was pristene yellow/translucent grease when it was rebuilt last year. I have to presume the darker color comes from the CV joint leaking. No noises yet.

Can I just re-seal the joints? Part number?

How long do I have before I'm doing damage to the CV joints? The two greases seem to be getting along well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 10:19 AM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI
RE: Leaking CV boot, I guess

You can just replace the boots, I had Europa do it on both of my 463s. On the 1990, it looked like they had been leaking for a while. No problems after just re-booting them. As long as dirt and water to not get to work on the joint it should be fine.
#70962 - in reply to #70932
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 11:21 AM
GwagenLover
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2016 G550 & 2016 GLE350

This brings up a conversation that I had with Mbenz shop mechanic last week. I am thinking I need to fill the ball swivels soon.
The conversation turned to rebuilding the front axil ends. He told me he rebuilt one in school in Georgia.
I asked about the boots. He said there were no boots in the new models. Again I questioned his response. He made it clear that the boots did not exist on the newer Gwagens and only seals were used.
I am thinking I like this as boots do not last too long.
Anyone know other than this, as it is an interesting topic.
#70969 - in reply to #70932
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 2:26 PM
Brent
Expert

There are DEFINATELY boots on the CV joints. CV's are fairly high precision and wouldn't last too long without the right lube in a contamination free enviroment. I have found that the boots are generally good for 75-100k miles, that isn't too bad an interval. Some "mechanics" really frighten me The more of my own work I do the more satisfied I am. I just don't trust too many people to do it right anymore and comments like that from an MB mechanic just reinforce my opinion.

Just to avoid "foot in mouth" disease, as unlikely as it seems I suppose it is possible the boots were eliminated, though it would REALLY surprise me. I know that my 463s and my 460 all run booted CV joints. Can somebody check the EPC on an MBUSA G to see if the boots are still shown?
#70989 - in reply to #70932
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 4:54 PM
pistonhead

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle(s): Nissan QX.

Re: Leaking CV boot, I guess

I used to be a G-Wagen mechanic, I stopped working on them when the new G500 came about. As far as I know models thus far had cv gaiters on the cv joint.

Although, I would advise to have the gaiter renewed, you may temporarily drive your G/wagen, provided that the swivel is topped up. Regularly checking in particular after doing some off roading and more frequently after Fording.

Whilst it would be difficult to ensure grease will not reach the cv joint unless you over fill with grease or add to the grease some diff. oil. Ultimately the gaiter will need replacement, this is only a temporary, damage limiting measure.

Why was the cv not checked or renewed when it was last, built?
#70998 - in reply to #70932
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 6:22 PM
Brent
Expert

pistonhead - 4/22/2007 2:54 PM

I don't think that the typical US G gets that maintainance done as regularly as they should. For many years a knowledgable service center was extremely difficult to find unless you lived in one or two locals. Then there isn't a very good understanding of the trucks by the MBUSA techs. I also do not think the service manual for those new 2002+ trucks talks about a front axle service beyond just filling the swivel balls with grease. Not everybody knows that the front axle is the highest service item on the truck, and hence the maintainence is generally just not done.

Fortunately this board helps educate, and I appreciate your comments on the CV boots
#71007 - in reply to #70998
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 6:32 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL

pistonhead - 4/22/2007 1:54 PM

I used to be a G-Wagen mechanic, I stopped working on them when the new G500 came about. As far as I know models thus far had cv gaiters on the cv joint.

Although, I would advise to have the gaiter renewed, you may temporarily drive your G/wagen, provided that the swivel is topped up. Regularly checking in particular after doing some off roading and more frequently after Fording.

Whilst it would be difficult to ensure grease will not reach the cv joint unless you over fill with grease or add to the grease some diff. oil. Ultimately the gaiter will need replacement, this is only a temporary, damage limiting measure.

Well, I did the axle rebuild. during the process I checked the boot thoroughly and found it to be sound. I suppose I should have re-booted it. Ah .. hindsight!

The grease in the axle ball is up to the right level and completely clean. The murkiness was not very dark, so the leak is probably still small. I guess I'll trust it for a while. The repair tickets are stacking up.
#71008 - in reply to #70998
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 7:33 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

AlanMcR - 4/22/2007 6:32 PM

The grease in the axle ball is up to the right level and completely clean. The murkiness was not very dark, so the leak is probably still small. I guess I'll trust it for a while. The repair tickets are stacking up.

The murkieness can also come from gear oil getting past the axle seal. Mine went in the other direction - swivel ball grease into the axle oil due to over filling the swivel ball, so it's probably also possible to go in the other direction.

If you have long and slim enough fingers, it is possible to manually feel the CV boot to see if there are any holes; although that may only have been possible with the old style 19mm bolt head filling port. I think it is bigger in diameter than the newer style 17mm (?size?) hex key port.
#71019 - in reply to #71008
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1