Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Looking for bodywork advice

Page 1 of 1 1
Looking for bodywork advice
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 12:28 PM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55
Looking for bodywork advice

I'm getting ready to do all the body work neccesary on my 86 300GD and I'm sure I could benefit from the past experiences of others here.
What I am most concerned about is insuring that I have taken the best measures possible to prevent the reoccurence of rust in the likely places( well there and everywhere of course)
I will be replacing
outer rockers(both sides)
outer lower A pillar( probably both sides)
outer lower B pillar (maybe both sides)
rear quarter panel( one side)
both rear corners( panel that taillights are mounted in) and all associated little bits and pieces that are inside the corners there.
rear sill (under rear door)
drivers side front fender
both front doors
Also will be repairing windshield frame and replacing windshield.

I intend to replace all panels with new parts from Eurotrucks (except for doors which are to come used, no rust from a very helpful forum member.) All panels will be welded back in the same location as factory seams.
I'm concerned about the treatment of the seams and interior of the rockers as this is obviously a real problem spot.
I have searched here and the other forum for pictures and differant methods of dealing with these but don't feel very satisfied with what I've found. I've seen references to the wax used at the factory and such . A bunch of differant opinions.
Has anyone undertaken these repairs and had success eliminating future rust over a long period?
My body guy likes using automotive panel adhesive as a way to eliminate seams where water can accumulate, any opinions on this?
I think it will be much more straight forward when I start to cut into it but it's nice to get some advice up front. Any and all opinions will be appreciated.
I may need to fabricate a few small pieces rather than replace the rear door jamb and the floor pans as the rust has eaten a tiny bit into these areas.
Looking forward to some good advice as always
Jonathan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 1:58 PM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: Looking for bodywork advice

It is possible to inject wax behind the repair areas. This was done on the small patches behind the rocker rubber strip on my G. If you need a product recommendation I can get it for you from my body guy. I think wax behind those repairs will be very important. Also welding can trap moisture in strange ways. This occured on a '69 280SEC project I have been working on. A couple of the welded areas bubbbled under the final paint. It goes into the shop to repair that this week and I will talk to the body guys about how to avoid this. Your truck will see a bit of welding there to replace those panels, I'll ask questions about how they do this to avoid future rust for you. The guys that will do this work are the ones that repaired the G for me.

-Dai
#70988 - in reply to #70977
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 9:52 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

dai - 4/22/2007 11:58 AM ....Also welding can trap moisture in strange ways. This occured on a '69 280SEC project I have been working on. A couple of the welded areas bubbbled under the final paint. It goes into the shop to repair that this week and I will talk to the body guys about how to avoid this. ...... -Dai

I too will be very interested to hear what they say, Dai. I haven't been able to digup anything that lasts more than 4-5 years after the spot welding. It's why I've been thinking of having mine acid etched and primer dipped if I can. I can see the G becoming an endless series of spot repairs on all the body seams.

-Dave G.

#71037 - in reply to #70988
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 10:16 PM
Toronto230ge
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 VW van 1987 230GE, 2002 G500 1965 porsche 911
RE: Looking for bodywork advice

I had my 87 G done, I replaced the rear corners as well as the rear quarters and rocker panels . I had repairs done to the windshield pilars and frame below along the seam. repairs done to the rear door inner and outer areas and sill as well as where the hinges attach inside. The work was done about 3 years ago now and there are the same areas showing some bubbling and rust again. All of the repairs were welded and spot welded, I hate to say this but if you use your truck in an area where they use salt or it is very humid and or snowy the chances of keeping the flawed design of the body rust free once it has already rusted is next to impossible IMO. It will be a continuous battle of up keep and maintainance. If it is used hard and put away wet I imagine it is inevitable, I gave up on pristine rust free expectations when I drove through my first giant slush salt puddle here in Canada. We love to use salt here in Ontario on our roads! The repaired areas are the problem areas on my truck the rear is doing well but there are visible new spots on the windshield lower frame areas that are showing rust.. Drivers front fender new areas etc... Good luck but don't be amazed no mater how you put it all together that you will see rust again on this ungalvinized nook and cranny watertrap of a truck.

Edited by Toronto230ge 4/22/2007 10:34 PM
#71044 - in reply to #70977
Author
Posted 4/24/2007 8:14 AM
w.james
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): 84 280 GE 617A 5sp getrag

Hi
First if it so bad that the inner rockers are gone you probably want to buy some sections of flooring. They don't seem so costly and you can eat up labor to try to make them form scratch.
Next I agree with Toronto you just want to slow the rust down. I cut out every bit of rust I could find, sandblastered anything else, replaced with panels, primed, and painted. Them I used a product called Waxoyl to pump the rocker, doors and anything else I could get the wand into and I got about 6 years before the rust is just starting to appear. Now I am just going sandblast, fill the wholes with weld, plastic, paint, and Waxoly and hopefully I will get another 6 years out of it
Good Luck with your project
W
#71303 - in reply to #70977
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1