Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 463 Centre Diff. Lock

Page 1 of 1 1
463 Centre Diff. Lock
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 6:41 PM
pistonhead

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle(s): Nissan QX.

463 Centre Diff. Lock

Hello fellow G/Wagen enthusiasts,

I am researching an answer for a fellow member in the UK with a diff. lock problem, I cannot answer at the moment. If some one has knowledge or experienced a similar problem, would you please assist.

The complaint is, when after, the Centrex diff. lock is engaged, it will automatically cut out after a brief time. A local M/benz dealer has, had a look at it and maintain there is no fault with the vacuum system leak or any relays.

If one can supply an electrical diagram to this area I would appreciate it to work out why we have a fault.

Thanking you in advance.

Rakesh K Anand

Edited by pistonhead 4/22/2007 6:42 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 7:27 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: 463 Centre Diff. Lock

pistonhead - 4/22/2007 6:41 PM

Hello fellow G/Wagen enthusiasts,

I am researching an answer for a fellow member in the UK with a diff. lock problem, I cannot answer at the moment. If some one has knowledge or experienced a similar problem, would you please assist.

The complaint is, when after, the Centrex diff. lock is engaged, it will automatically cut out after a brief time. A local M/benz dealer has, had a look at it and maintain there is no fault with the vacuum system leak or any relays.

If one can supply an electrical diagram to this area I would appreciate it to work out why we have a fault.

Thanking you in advance.

Rakesh K Anand

It is a pure vacuum operation. There is an o-ring on the actuator piston inside the TC which has been known to go bad.

I can tell you from personal experience that, once the diff lock is properly engaged, you can turn off the engine; and it will hold a vacuum over night. I wonder if the MB dealer tested that thoroughly.

Here's a schematic of the system.

(DiffLocks.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DiffLocks.jpg (108KB - 3 downloads)
#71016 - in reply to #71010
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 9:44 PM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500
Re: 463 Centre Diff. Lock

here is more detail of the O-ring in question: http://www.rubicon-trail.com/public/diaphram.pdf
#71035 - in reply to #71010
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 11:52 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: 463 Centre Diff. Lock- different question

My question relates to the diff lock electronics, rather than the mechanical aspects.

Once, parking my 463 in a snow camping parking lot, I was pretty sure that I would return (in several days) buried in a snow drift. Thinking that I might be able to bull it out of the anticipated snow drift I left in Low with all the lockers on.

Well... I came back days later and found that the battery was stone dead. The only time this has happened. It seems that the locker controls are always powered on the 96 G300DT. Is this the way it is supposed to be?
#71086 - in reply to #71010
Author
Posted 4/23/2007 1:03 AM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

low range is a bad choice for snow (too much torque)
what's wrong with turning on the lockers when you need them?

don't know anything about the power supply on your truck with lockers on and ignition off
#71105 - in reply to #71086
Author
Posted 4/23/2007 1:15 AM
MiN
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): No cars, at all.

Pistonhead, this sounds very similar to a problem I had last year. The centre diff lock would engage but would disengage after going over a slight bump. The problem was found to be a split in the rubber diaphragm in the transfer case bell housing - i.e. it would not hold the vacuum necessary to keep the diff lock engaged (part number 5 on page 1 of Harald's attachment).

To check the vacuum system to this point do the following:

1. Disconnnect the vaccuum pipe from the bell housing.
2. Turn the ignition on (but don't start the engine) and press the diff lock button.
3. Get under the truck and block off the vacuum pipe end between finger and thumb.
4. If the system is ok to that point the vacuum pump, in the engine bay, will keep sucking until the necessary vacuum is reached and will then switch itself off after about 10 - 15 seconds. You willl hear it whirring away.
5. If it doesn't switch itself off, it means the problem is before the bell housing. If it does, it means the vacuum problem lies inside the bell housing.

The diaphragm is a cheap part, about £10 but it's a bit of a sod to do under the truck.

I would also advise you to swap the switch in the bell housing with one from the front or rear diffs locks to ensure that the switch that indicates whether the diff lock is fully engaged is also working properly (part number s76/7 on page 3 of Harald's attachment). I had a double whammy on this problem.

Mike.

Edited by MiN 4/23/2007 1:20 AM
#71108 - in reply to #71010
Author
Posted 4/23/2007 2:08 AM
NorthseaRoughneck
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD SWB - 300GD LWB

Alan,

Few years ago I experienced the same problem. Full parking lot, only one space left ... on top of a pile of snow. Engage lockers, put the G on top, disengage lockers but before all the status lights went out I switched off the engine. Went snowboarding the entire day, came back in the evening and the G wouldn't start. Battery as dead as a motherf#cker.

The worst part was that the only car left on the parking lot was my friends car, an 1.8L Audi A4 station ... not even a 'quattro'
He pulled me off from the pile of snow and I am still hearing that today, if you know what I mean. The whole ordeal was all ofcourse video documented for later reference during birthday parties and the like.

Regards,

Rick
#71112 - in reply to #71086
Author
Posted 4/24/2007 6:35 PM
pistonhead

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle(s): Nissan QX.

I Thank you all above, those who have responded to my question.

Armed with the information, you chaps have provided, I can relay this on and will come back to you with the out come, that is if I, do get one. I find, people do not always reciprocate.

Thank you.

Rakesh K Anand
#71383 - in reply to #71010
Author
Posted 4/24/2007 11:24 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL

4x4abc - 4/22/2007 10:03 PM

low range is a bad choice for snow (too much torque)
what's wrong with turning on the lockers when you need them?

don't know anything about the power supply on your truck with lockers on and ignition off

Nothing wrong with using them when I needed them. The idea was to ensure that the dog clutches were lined up exactly right so that I could shove my way out. What I didn't realize was that after getting into place and parked that I needed to turn off the locks. I was under the assumption that the locks dropped out when the key was removed. The choice of low range was a simple way of dealing with the usual behavior of stone cold (-x degrees F) diesel. I'm not a fan of "put the hammer down" four wheeling.
#71432 - in reply to #71105
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1