Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : clicking sound from wheel?

Page 1 of 1 1
clicking sound from wheel?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/23/2007 2:55 PM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
clicking sound from wheel?

I have the strange clicking sound at very low mph like 1-3 mph when turning. It sounds like its coming from my drivers front wheel, and no there are no rocks in the tread I already checked that.

Strange thing is it doesn't do it all the time. maybe once or twice a day then skip a few days then its back.

Also it started this after my front diff did not disengage. I pushed the front locker button and the yellow light went out. However the red light stayed on even after all the other diff's where unlocked. I tried turning on and off the car also High and low range... even backed up. this stayed lit for about a mile on gravel roads and didn't turn off until I hit asphalt. When I turned left to get on the main road it made a nasty POP sound when it went free. This was about two month's ago... I have no problems, or lights, or leaks and the lockers still work locking and unlocking fine,

So any suggestion on what to check or where to look for a problem?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/23/2007 3:31 PM
Tjærand
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 1996 G320
RE: clicking sound from wheel?

Clicking sounds when turning sounds like a blown CV joint. Does the frequency follow speed? Of course, it could be something loose rattling in sync with your engine vibrations, but if it is pronounced and sounds like your front axle, check out your CV's
#71188 - in reply to #71185
Author
Posted 4/23/2007 4:06 PM
4x4abc

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 02 G500

Kerr,

the popping sound you heard was the locker. When it was about to unlock (very close to the 45 degree edges) it experienced different wheel speed (you went into a turn) and was forced open by the 45 degree angles slide on each other. No harm from that. Image below.

Now, a locker not readily unlocking after the hydraulic pressure is off can mean a couple of different things:
A) return spring broken
B) locker sleeve not sliding freely (Polyamide ring [#7] damaged - cheap fix, or debris in axle housing - bad news, or axle housing bent - really bad news).
C) tire diameter left and right unequal (uneven use or unequal pressure)

The only mechanical support you can offer a locker that does not want to unlock is to drive as straight as possible (best with hands off the steering for a while) - the locker needs absolute equal rpm left and right to unlock. Turning left and right makes the stuck worse and shifting to low range has no influence. Reversing usually does not help either as you are going from one binding direction into the nex binding set up.

As to the clicking - my wild guess would be CV or wheel bearing going bad

(teeth.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments teeth.jpg (664KB - 5 downloads)
#71198 - in reply to #71188
Author
Posted 4/23/2007 4:22 PM
KERR

Thanks guys.

Whats strange about the day the front didnt unlock is i drove straight for probably 1500-2000 feet then backed up probably 1000 feet of that to see if the light would go off. ( that old GM trick lol... my blazer you had to back up or it would not come out of 4x4) Then i slowley turned the wheel back and forth on my way to the road thinking it would free up and never did. Apparently they axles and diffs have major gears becuase that pop sounded worse than when i blew up my 14 bolt in a old camaro

My lockers work fine.. There just real slow. I think dutch said i need to drain the pump? It can take up to 2 minutes for them to lock. The center usually locks with 30 seconds but the rear and the front take for ever.

Ive never had to replace wheel bearings or CV's so i guess its about time at 74,890 miles? Actully in terms of non electrical stuff ive only had 2 steering stabilizers and one set of pads... that i know of for sure. Ill look tonight at the cv's and see what they look like.

Thanks again for the info!

#71200 - in reply to #71185
Author
Posted 4/23/2007 6:17 PM
4x4abc

here is the promised image (originally I had it set to CMYK and that does not work).

Kerr,

your lockers are not slow. All lockers need a rotational difference between both sides in order to engage. The G lockers has 5 big teeth - so you'll need a rotational difference of 36 degrees for them to engage. ARB lockers have 42 teeth and they need only a difference of 4 degrees to engage.
So, as long as you drive straight with almost no rotational difference betrween left and right wheels the lockers will not engage at all.
Center is a different story - there is almost alway a rotational difference between front and rear and the locker engages faster. There is almost always a difference of rpm between front and rear because almost never is the weight and tire pressure front and rear absolute equal - that leads to different rpm. This underlines why it is so important neither to lock the center (463) on dry pavement nor use the part time system of the 460. The always present rpm differences front to rear can cause severe damage: http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/driveline-bind.html

(teeth.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments teeth.jpg (74KB - 4 downloads)
#71217 - in reply to #71200
Author
Posted 4/24/2007 10:15 AM
KERR

Re: clicking sound from wheel?

thanks again..

Either im looking in the wrong place or i dont have any CV boots. The only "boots" i saw last night are on the drive shafts. After looking on haralds web page i dont recall any around the wheels... I hope i just over looked them because this sounds like it could get expensive in a hurry.

#71311 - in reply to #71185
Author
Posted 4/24/2007 10:30 AM
-UG-
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): GD300, S350 CDI

A quick correction... your lockers can engage immediately without any rotational difference but only if the teeth just happen to be aligned.
And if you pop was rather low freq then it probably was the locker, if it was sharp and high, then you may have blown the CV joint.

If you CV joint is clicking sharp like a clock when turning, then you have a worn CV and you should replace it before it brakes to avoid extra cost. If your CV is clicking unevenly and with some grinding noise, then you CV is blown and you probably by now not only need the CV joint, but new shaft as well.

-UG-
#71313 - in reply to #71185
Author
Posted 4/24/2007 11:22 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

KERR - 4/24/2007 10:15 AM

thanks again..

Either im looking in the wrong place or i dont have any CV boots. The only "boots" i saw last night are on the drive shafts. After looking on haralds web page i dont recall any around the wheels... I hope i just over looked them because this sounds like it could get expensive in a hurry.

You won't see the CV joint by "looking". It's inside the swivel ball housing; and to see it, you'd have to dismantle the front axle end.
#71315 - in reply to #71311
Author
Posted 4/24/2007 11:35 AM
4x4abc

Kerr,

the CV boot is not visible from the outside - it sits inside the svivel ball. You'll have to take the entire hub/wheel bearing assembly apart o get to the CV joints. Very messy!

(CV-boot.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CV-boot.jpg (109KB - 4 downloads)
#71316 - in reply to #71311
Author
Posted 4/24/2007 12:20 PM
KERR

Ah.. ok... you all had me scared there for a second. Ill just wait and have it looked it at when i do pads and rotors i guess.

#71319 - in reply to #71185
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1