Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Diesel Idle continued

Page 1 of 1 1
Diesel Idle continued
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/25/2007 9:20 AM
G350DT

Date registered: Dec 1899
Diesel Idle continued

Well rough idle comes and goes. I am told that it is controled electronically so is that something, a unit, that can fail.
Just want to make sure things are correct.
Another thing I noticed is in the first say 2 to 3 mins after starting the engine "gallops" as in 300 rpms to 500 rpms back to 3 back to 5 any ideas there ?
I do not want to take it to the MB dealer just yet.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/25/2007 10:38 AM
4x4abc

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 02 G500
RE: Diesel Idle continued

Richard,

If I get a vehicle back after a major job and discover things that I am not happy with or don't seem right to me - I'll be on the phone telling the shop to pick it up asap. Second guessing what they did or sticking a big screwdriver in there somewhere to "maybe fixing it", would be outright stupid.

Many years back a shop installed 6.17 gears in my 300GD's diffs. They missed the delivery deadline and I had moved away 450 miles. They had to hire someone to deliver the truck. It displayed unhealthy symptoms the next day. I called the shop and made them send a tow truck, pick it up, do the job right and send the driver again for delivery. Must have hurt them. But since I paid for a job done right - why would I crawl under there and fiddle with it when I don't like it?

So, long story short - by posting numerous complaints about a job not done right makes me (and possibly some others here) feel uneasy. As much as we want to assist you - it would be better to have the shop complete the job if there are "lose ends" that need to be tied up.
#71480 - in reply to #71475
Author
Posted 4/25/2007 10:58 AM
G350DT

Re: Diesel Idle continued

I guess I was hoping it was something small or a fast fix. I have emailed the shop and said I paid A LOT of money to have the motor removed and reinstalled and that it is not right and they need to fix the problem by either getting the truck back down there or paying Mercedes up here to fix it.
Thanks 4x4 I guess I needed that last push
#71481 - in reply to #71475
Author
Posted 4/25/2007 12:49 PM
G350DT

Turns out the linkage was dry and sticking.
Now to get the glow plug light to turn off when the engine starts argggg
#71490 - in reply to #71475
Author
Posted 4/25/2007 5:08 PM
Roly
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 1999 G500

That normally indicates an unservicable glow plug. Were the glow plugs replaced?
#71511 - in reply to #71490
Author
Posted 4/25/2007 5:12 PM
G350DT

ITs not glow plugs they are new and it is not happening all the time. Going to replace the controller tomorrow
Also the engine builder talked with my local mechanic to tell him what adjustment the fuel pump needs to make sure the idle is correct.
#71512 - in reply to #71475
Author
Posted 4/26/2007 9:04 AM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI

That particular engine has always scared me. Very few people have had good luck with them and generally only after a major rebuild (which you seem to have) and a bunch of updates from MB. Your woes only add to my concerns. I wish you well getting it sorted.

I don't know about IDI diesels but on my Cummins the heating grid cycles when the engine is cold (but running) creating a drag on the engine and slight idle fluctuations when cold. I don't know if glow plugs do the same or even if they stay on after a cold start but that is a possibility. Does it idle correctly when warmed up?
#71632 - in reply to #71475
Author
Posted 4/26/2007 9:29 AM
G350DT

Some times it will idol ok ish
I have talked with the engine rebuilder and he thinks that the fuel pump is a smidge off and is sending me hot it should be adjusted.
The glow plugs are brand new and it does not happen all the time so he suggested that it was the controler and not bad glow plugs.
As soon as you give this puppy some gas it goes like a beast, so that suggests that the idle issue is not a serious issue just a tweak needed.
So I will update later. I am not worried about the engine. New head, new cylinders, pistons, rings, con rods oil pump so seems the only thing used is the block.
So it is close
#71634 - in reply to #71475
Author
Posted 4/27/2007 7:24 AM
Iver460
Veteran

Vehicle(s): '82 300 GD STT Cab (two other Gs in family)

I'd put my money on the glow relay! Glow plugs for 616/617-eninges should read about 1 ohm each when ok, I guess 602/603 shold be in the same area. If your ignition lock doesn't have to much play then you're left with the relay.
#71770 - in reply to #71634
Author
Posted 4/27/2007 8:29 AM
G350DT

Relay will be ordered today.
Now the idle issue is fixed.
Idle should be about 700 rpm, it is now.
So the fix is an adjustment on the fuel pump.
Loosen the the lock nut and adjust with the inner screw.
Pic attached

(603.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 603.jpg (26KB - 1 downloads)
#71771 - in reply to #71475
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1