Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Red locker light on.

Page 1 of 1 1
Red locker light on.
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/28/2007 1:28 PM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
Red locker light on.

I posted about how my front locker "popped" when i turnd a few weeks ago and it sounded as if the axle, diff or something exploded. Well all still works fine when locked and unlocked, However last night i used my diff locks which worked like usual, but when it was time to turn them off the Red light would not go out. The Diff its self unlocked as well as the other twoo. I truned the car off and on.. still stayed on.. Also got all the messages. I drove it the rest of the night with no problems just all the abs, esp etc messages and the red light. Even ate dinner and did some shopping at wal-mart. When I returned to the G the light was still on.

Now this morining after setting all night its fine.

Is this something i need to be worried about ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/28/2007 4:28 PM
CaptnPete

Re: Red locker light on.

A master mechanic from Europa in New Mexico recommended to me once, that when you want to test and activate the diff lockers, jack up the car with all four wheels off the ground, start the engine, place it in gear and activate the locks in sequence. You can lock in and out several times and will probably notice that the response time becomes shorter and shorter.
#71964 - in reply to #71958
Author
Posted 4/28/2007 5:39 PM
4x4abc

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 02 G500

of course the response time will get shorter.
After the teeth of the lockers have engaged/disengaged once they stay lined up (since the tires are in the air and have equal revolutions) - so, the next time you hit the switch, the teeth engage right away (light comes on).
Different story on the ground. Since the wheels will have unequal revolutions the teeth of the lockers do not stay lined up. It will take them a while to line up again and engage.

I had a very similar problem like Kerr a week ago. Only the red light of the center diff was on (not the engagement light though) and all the warning sign were flashing. It went away after about 30 minutes driving. Neither turning off the engine, nor multiple switch actions solved the weird problem.

Have no answer for a solution.
#71967 - in reply to #71964
Author
Posted 4/29/2007 2:16 PM
KERR

Ok... thanks ill not worry about it then

#72053 - in reply to #71958
« View previous thread :: View next thread »