Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Advice on Biodiesel

Page 4 of 4 1234
Advice on Biodiesel
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/11/2007 7:48 PM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55
RE: Advice on Biodiesel

JCaine,
It's funny I spilled a bunch of soybean oil in the dirt when filling up for the first time. Usually I'm really careful about contaminates like that but this time...who cares it's just veggie oil! Dai thanks for the advice, my gut feeling is also that thicker is not neccesarily good, but have seen alot of testimo9nies from people using straight oil no conversion. But that doesn't tell the long term story.
It is pretty warm here and I'm only using a 2/3 diesel 1/3 oil mix right now
Jonathan
#74005 - in reply to #71969
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/11/2007 11:40 PM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

Chad, I have quite a few friends that are connected with and run restaurants in our area. I am looking for high quality oil like rice bran and canola. The chefs that use this oil don't dump it into the collector for the grill etc. We are lucky to have a lot of contacts because our wine is on the lists and we directly sell to them. Maybe it helps that the chefs like the wine? They are enthusiastic that we are filtering the oil and using it for fuel. I think if you have some spots that you like to go to, ask what the oil is in the fryers. If it is non hydrogenated oil ask if they will save it for you. Don't be discouraged if the first places you try don't want to do it. Some people are resistant to change and are happy with their system. Part of the deal is to follow through with picking it up on time so it impacts the kitchen the least. There is growing competition for the waste oil and some of the biodiesel companies are offering to pay for it. The restaurants have been paying to have it hauled away. I think the kitchens want the least hassle method for dealing with it. Having it go away to a good use is seen as a very positive thing around here. Look especially at Japaneese, Indian, Greek and Tai food kitchens because they use light pure oils for the most part. There is a lot of interest in 86ing the trans fats with even the fast food stores and we are seeing Taco Bell type places moving to pure veggie oil. I think it is about developing the relationship with a couple of good spots and being reliable about making it easy and making it go away. It is amazing how much oil is being used and how much is available. Check out places where you want to go regularly and spots you like to patronize. We make a point of eating at our friends restaurants and supporting them, the local independant businesses.

-Dai

#74034 - in reply to #73925
Author
Posted 5/12/2007 1:19 PM
clubgwagen.com
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 300GE Cabriolet
Re: Advice on Biodiesel

Chad the only tough part living in CA and doing this is that there's a lot of folks competing for each restaurant's oil.

However, be on the lookout. It seems you can be more lucky if you wait to see when new ones are going to open, and before they do, walk in, meet owner, and work it out.

you want to make sure (and this is KEY!) that it is non-hydrogenated oil.

and make sure that it does not sit out open in the rain.

#74100 - in reply to #71969
Author
Posted 5/14/2007 9:22 AM
Ducks

Date registered: Dec 1899

Thanks for all the input.  Much appreciated.

Chad

#74289 - in reply to #71969
Author
Posted 5/14/2007 3:52 PM
mortinson
Expert

Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon

Guys, can you give advice about how to get hold of a kit to filter WVO? Where to buy it and how much?

Cheers
#74324 - in reply to #71969
Author
Posted 5/14/2007 5:44 PM
bentoman

Vehicle(s): 300-GD 617A, 190D 2.0 , 190D 2.5.

Try this sites: http://www.frybrid.com/index.htm
http://seealte.europecon.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid...
http://seealte.europecon.net/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/p...
http://biocar.com.sapo.pt/
I´m sure it will help you, its writen in portuguese but it will be no big deal for you

Edited by bentoman 5/14/2007 6:10 PM
#74344 - in reply to #74324
Author
Posted 5/14/2007 5:49 PM
CEOG
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 80 230G

Look into http://fryertofuel.hypermart.net/store/page13.html
#74345 - in reply to #71969
Author
Posted 5/14/2007 6:23 PM
clubgwagen.com
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 300GE Cabriolet

plantdrive.com

I highly reccomend Craig Reece, ask for him tell him referred by Mike Serpe from clubgwagen.com

They have the wand filter which is totally cool and smart. Also bag filters at 10 micron.
#74350 - in reply to #71969
Author
Posted 5/15/2007 8:48 PM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

How do you guys dispose of the unusable portion of your waste vegetable oil and the associated filtering matter?
Jonathan
#74510 - in reply to #71969
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 12:14 AM
BenzDieselTuner

i have a hole dug in the yard i dump it into......it soaks into the ground, and is harmless.......
#74533 - in reply to #71969
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 12:16 AM
dai
Expert

We are on a farm and the farm generates burn piles of prunings and waste wood. We have used waste WVO to help with the ignition. Works great, hotter burn, low smoke. It can also be added to oil recycling. There is a local company that collects a lot of waste oil from oil change facilities, garages, recycling collection centers and re-refines it to make an industrial diesel fuel. This is used by our local train system and other industrial diesel motors. I haven't gone through filters, they last a long time if you settle the oil well and rack off the top carefully. Might be a good grill charcoal starter. Kind of a Tempura sort of aroma. Certainly the makings of a Red Green episode.

-Dai
#74534 - in reply to #74510
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 12:27 AM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

One more veggie question..probably to off subject for lengthy debate here. I've been questioned by friends about the "actual" enviromental impact of burning veggie oil as opposed to fossil fuels. My gut feeling is it has to be so much better that it doesn't warrant discussion, but some empirical evidence would make us all feel better. Can anyone steer me to some good info ( that I can understand) on the science of burning various veggie fuels?
I've looked at Plantdrive.com and read their links about carbon emissions but it's a little confusing.
Hope y'all can help...
Jonathan
#74535 - in reply to #71969
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 12:54 AM
jcaine

Jonathan Joseph - 5/16/2007 12:27 AM

One more veggie question..probably to off subject for lengthy debate here. I've been questioned by friends about the "actual" enviromental impact of burning veggie oil as opposed to fossil fuels. My gut feeling is it has to be so much better that it doesn't warrant discussion, but some empirical evidence would make us all feel better. Can anyone steer me to some good info ( that I can understand) on the science of burning various veggie fuels?
I've looked at Plantdrive.com and read their links about carbon emissions but it's a little confusing.
Hope y'all can help...
Jonathan

A quick google search will show very clearly that wvo/svo burns 80-95% cleaner than petro diesel or gasoline... anyone questioning that simply hasn't looked for the answer...

Just picked up my Fatty Wagon kit... www.fattywagons.com

#74538 - in reply to #74535
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 1:00 AM
BenzDieselTuner

the type of CO-2 that burning veggie oil produces is the EXACT gas that plants absorb, to make oxygen.......in short, the more veggie u burn, the more oxygen the atmosphere gets........
#74540 - in reply to #74538
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 1:13 AM
dai
Expert

Burning Waste Vegetable Oil makes environmental sense because we are taking what is a waste product after it is used for its intended purpose and cleaning it up so it will make it through the injection system and burn. Biodiesel does a similar thing but uses a refining process to create it.
A big difference in emissions (from biodiesel.org)
Biodiesel is the only alternative fuel to have fully completed the health effects testing requirements of the Clean Air Act. The use of biodiesel in a conventional diesel engine results in substantial reduction of unburned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and particulate matter compared to emissions from diesel fuel. In addition, the exhaust emissions of sulfur oxides and sulfates (major components of acid rain) from biodiesel are essentially eliminated compared to diesel.

Of the major exhaust pollutants, both unburned hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides are ozone or smog forming precursors. The use of biodiesel results in a substantial reduction of unburned hydrocarbons. Emissions of nitrogen oxides are either slightly reduced or slightly increased depending on the duty cycle of the engine and testing methods used. Based on engine testing, using the most stringent emissions testing protocols
required by EPA for certification of fuels or fuel additives in the US, the overall ozone forming potential of the speciated hydrocarbon emissions from biodiesel was nearly 50 percent less than that measured for diesel fuel.

There are other questions that I think about. Running an old GD made in 1985 and keeping it in good repair makes more sense environmentally than buying a new car. The impact on the environment caused by the production of that new Hybrid is never part of the equation. How long must that vehicle be driven and used before it offsets its production impact? How often do those batteries need to be replaced? Just wanted to get more off subject than you did...

-Dai
#74541 - in reply to #74535
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 4:10 PM
Maxwell Smart

dai - 5/16/2007 6:13 AM
There are other questions that I think about. Running an old GD made in 1985 and keeping it in good repair makes more sense environmentally than buying a new car. The impact on the environment caused by the production of that new Hybrid is never part of the equation. How long must that vehicle be driven and used before it offsets its production impact? How often do those batteries need to be replaced? Just wanted to get more off subject than you did...

-Dai

While I can be quite the eco-evangalist - short-sighted holier than thou Prius drivers really upset me... I could go on and on about that... but will refrain.

The same goes with people who ignorantly think that Carbon Offsetting is the holy grail.

However did you know that something like 90% of all Gs ever made are still on (or off as the case may be) the road...
#74619 - in reply to #74541
Author
Posted 5/20/2007 2:49 PM
bentoman

Vehicle(s): 300-GD 617A, 190D 2.0 , 190D 2.5.

#75071 - in reply to #74344
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 4 of 4 1234