Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Rust Restoration, New Panels OR Cut and Rebuild??

Page 1 of 1 1
Rust Restoration, New Panels OR Cut and Rebuild??
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/28/2007 11:01 PM
G-AMG
G-Class DIY Host

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '04 G55, '80 280GE, '99 S420, '98 E320, 2011 E350
Rust Restoration, New Panels OR Cut and Rebuild??

Greets.

I hate to kick the dead horse of rust mediation, but after scouring "both" sites, I can not get a feel for what is more COST EFFECTIVE; ordering new panels, or just go to a good body guy who can cut the section and "rebuild" the section??

I have the "usual" rust problems, and my wife (of all people) wants me to get it repaired so it will look "nicer".

I have obtained a cursory estimate from a guy who does "alot" of restoration work, and he is talking about just cutting portions out and rebuild, including using "fibreglass" in certain areas. Should that statement make me to shy away from the onset? Anybody with experience who can comment on how fibreglass holds up? It sure is an attractive concept down here in hot/humid/salt air/beach-ville.

He was talking $6,000, including paint. Sounds outrageous to me, but.... I've also never had a Benz with rust.

ANY input would be quite greatly appreciated!!

Cheers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/29/2007 7:06 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo
RE: Rust Restoration, New Panels OR Cut and Rebuild??

That sounds a little pricey to me. Exactly how much rust do you have? Is he going to pait the entire car? If it is extensive give eurotruck a call and order the panels they are not that expensive. For minor holes have them cut it out well beyond the rust and weld in a fabricated piece.

I wouldn't do the fiberglass route when the originals are readily availble.

Mark
#72032 - in reply to #72013
Author
Posted 4/29/2007 8:52 AM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55

G-AMG,
I recently started a thread about the same thing. I've searched alot also and not come up with much. ( here's the thread http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=7020&pos...)

I work in the boatbuilding industry and am extremely confident in fiberglass( if done correctly) but I agree since the panels are available and relatively cheap it's a better (and depending on where the rust is) maybe cheaper repair.)
I have all the typical rust problems (rockers, door bottoms, rear corners etc) and intend to replace all of the panels completely back to the factory seams.
I have priced everything through Eurotrucks and my feeling is it's cheaper to install new parts than the labor to build and shape things in glass.
I'm planning on something less than 2K in parts but don't have a good sense of what the labor will be yet. I'm going to do alot of the removal/ prep type work my self but I have another guy who will cut and weld all panels and paint. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 3-4K more considering all the rust I have.
I'll post some pictures here of the current condition soon.
Good luck!
Jonathan
#72033 - in reply to #72013
Author
Posted 4/29/2007 10:47 AM
burqueDOKA
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 1550L37Doka, 404 ROCKMOG, '00 G500

I agree with the above statements. Fiberglass , no disrespect here, should be kept on boats. It works great with boats, it is a sign of cheap work on cars. It shows that the body man was inept in his skills of
welding and fabrication. Plus, if the panels are available it should be a no brainer, you will be much happier. -James
#72043 - in reply to #72013
Author
Posted 4/29/2007 3:02 PM
martin
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 99 G500 95 E300D 95 R1100GS 06 K1200R

One more vote for OE replacement metal panels. I bought most of mine from Steve/Sean, 4x4club and ebay.de including fenders, sills, rear wheel arches and rear corners. Prices are suprisingly reasonable for MB OE parts and the quality is good.

I'm up to my eyeballs in restoration on my PUCH cabrio that has/had rust. I might have gone further than most because I have the truck completely stripped and the body off the frame. In the end, I think the repairs will be easier. I'm currently working on the body, which is sitting on a jig in my garage. The chassis is at my brothers house waiting its turn for the makeover.

Good luck with your endeavor.
-Martin
#72054 - in reply to #72013
Author
Posted 4/29/2007 3:07 PM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: Rust Restoration, New Panels OR Cut and Rebuild??

It is unfortunate that the panels for replacement are not stainless steel. I think this would be the best option, stainless steel in those problem areas. But then it would be nice if the entire body was made of inox.

-Dai
#72055 - in reply to #72054
Author
Posted 5/5/2007 7:15 AM
Chrisgd300
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 86 GD 300 and a few others

I have all the typical rust problems (rockers, door bottoms, rear corners etc) and intend to replace all of the panels completely back to the factory seams.
I have priced everything through Eurotrucks and my feeling is it's cheaper to install new parts than the labor to build and shape things in glass.

My G had some rust in all the typical places. Backsides of the lights, door bottoms, shock attachments, rear corners, door bottoms, etc...

Original panels from MB and fibre-glass are the way to go IMO.
The MB panels have had a surface treatment and then coated black. That's why the rust in a merc always stays localised and doesn't creep any further.
The surface treatment involves deoxidising the metal and then applying a thin layer of Nitrogen or non-ferro metals. I don't know the very specifics. But it's a great rust prevention for metal parts.

I've rebuilt mine with MB panels and then attacked the "problem spots" with fibre glass. To fill in gaps where water and mud can get in. Although always leave ventilation holes.
The last method of prevention was a 3M undercoating "anti-gravel"

As I did all the work myself I can't comment on prices, but a job well-done is seldomly a cheap one.
And it did take me a while in terms of spare time to get it done properly.

Cheers
Chris
#72926 - in reply to #72033
Author
Posted 5/7/2007 11:14 PM
B280

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): 1986 280ge

I know we're talking a different currency, but I have gotten quotes that my truck would be about $7,500 Canadian minimum.
Of course my wife wants a different color, so chuck in another 3 grand(at least). Now, labour prices are not cheap in Vancouver at the moment, but I'm also going to shops who do good work.

Love to hear and see your results.

Good luck,

Biski.
#73367 - in reply to #72013
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 12:12 AM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Biski I wouldn't be surprised at any price if you just turn it over to a reputable restoration shop and say, "Fix it!" I think a lot of the folks here are trying to find more economical methods than that. Even if you're not to handy with tools I think doing some of the prep work puts you in a much better bargaining position than just showing up at the shop and dropping off a complete car and expecting them to return a complete car.
Things like stripping the doors panels out, removing seats, carpet,removing all of the rubber trim, lights, glass, etc can save huge amounts and doesn't require to much skill. (And putting it all back in to)
Jonathan
#73540 - in reply to #72013
Author
Posted 5/10/2007 8:03 AM
w.james
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 84 280 GE 617A 5sp getrag

When they did mine they used a adhesive to put the new panels in place instead of wielding and it worked pretty good. Just a though, it doesn't have a tendency to warp the metal like wielding on flat panels
Good luck
W
#73724 - in reply to #72013
Author
Posted 5/10/2007 10:39 AM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

I've also heard good things about auto panel adhesive from body-guys. I like the fact that it fills the joint to prevent water intrusion and doesn't damage the finish like welding does leaving a hidden unpainted rust prone area.
W. James, how long has it been since you had panels glued on?
Jonathan
#73745 - in reply to #72013
Author
Posted 5/11/2007 7:41 AM
w.james
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 84 280 GE 617A 5sp getrag

8 years and the rust is starting to come back. I sand blasted the existing rust and cut all I could and it seems like every 7 or 8 years you need to go over again. The good news is that it is real easy if I catch now as opposed to the first time when we had to replace quarters, rockers, inner rockers, rear panels, part of the lower doors, and part of the floor. It turned out to be a big job. It cost me $5,000 in 1999. This is my daily driver and we ski alot. Seem like we are always in a salty environment so I expect the vehicle to get rust but manageable.
Good luck with your project and if you find yourself asking yourself if it is worth it,
It is!!
W
#73888 - in reply to #72013
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1