Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Steering Wheel Wobble

Page 1 of 1 1
Steering Wheel Wobble
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/1/2007 11:44 PM
MiN
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): No cars, at all.
Steering Wheel Wobble

I'm getting steering wheel wobble between 90kmh/55mph - 100kmh/62mph but nothing before or after that speed range. It's not due to wheel imbalance, I've just had that done and watched to check it was done correctly. My initial thought is 'wheel alignment' as I've just changed my panhard rod, drag link ends, steering shock and tie rod and thought I'd got it right. Any guidance/suggestions on this would be great.

Mike.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/2/2007 12:22 AM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: Steering Wheel Wobble

If the wobble is happening on gentle freeway turns and side slopes then it is most likely a toe-in problem. (I'm assuming that your wheel bearings are not loose). The toe-in should be set as close as possible to 0. If toe-in is wrong then the front wheels have more drag than the back wheels. Going straight both tires drag equally and this isn't really noticable. In a gentle high-speed turn one of the front wheels gets better grip and the other one skips just a little. This is the wobble you feel. That and the fact that the back end is subtly trying to pass the front due to the difference in drag.

Measuring and setting toe-in on the G only requires a long piece of string, four small blocks (lego's do great) and an accurate ruler (/2mm graduations). I suppose I should publish the method. It's very handy for back woods use if you should bend a rod.
#72381 - in reply to #72380
Author
Posted 5/2/2007 12:41 AM
Adoni
Expert

Vehicle(s): '00 G500, '15 C300 4Matic, '06 L322 G4
Re: Steering Wheel Wobble

Not that this is the issue but I just replaced my steering damper/shock whatever you choose to call it as well as my drag links, you should definitely do an alignment after replacing those parts.
#72383 - in reply to #72380
Author
Posted 5/2/2007 2:01 AM
G wizz
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): Dont own a G anymore, Too expensive!!!!
Re: Steering Wheel Wobble

steering damper, without a doubt, very common at those speeds
#72388 - in reply to #72380
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1