rattles
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 2:40 AM
jcaine

Date registered: Dec 1899
rattles

Hi All,

When I bought my G a couple of months ago I had never driven one. I was very impressed with how solid this 28 year old 4x4 felt going down the road... drive a jeep or land cruiser from the 70's and you know what I mean.

Now however, after driving it for awhile, I've become accutely aware of a number of buzzez and rattles... I HATE rattles! I had the interior redone including insulating the roof and the floor and adding headliner material and carpeting to try and mitigate some of that buzzing , rattling, wind noise, etc... it's much btter now but still kind of rattely...

Question is should I try to chase all these minor annoyances down and remedy them or just learn to live with and turn up the yet to be installed sound system?... Are rattles something that just come with these or can they be made rattle free?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 3:31 AM
Tjærand
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 1996 G320
RE: rattles

If something rattles it's probably because it's loose. Try to isolate the source and see if it's something to worry about. My 1988 G has rattles but I think I know them all intimately. An old G will sing and hum a bit as theres play and increased margins but if you feel the rattles are very pronounced you might want to check out your driveline for vibrations. If your driveshafts are shakey, it might turn up as a squeaky dashboard.
#72523 - in reply to #72521
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 3:37 AM
VonEpp
W124 Host

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle(s): w114, w124 & w460
Re: rattles

As a counterpoint, my 1983 W460 is very solid, the only noises being the headlining squeaking and the driver's window rattles when it is partially open over corrugated roads.

Engine and tire noise is another story though...
#72524 - in reply to #72521
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 3:53 AM
jcaine

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: rattles

These are nothing major just little annoyances... I find myself touching everything in the car to pin point some... mine is a military model which I suppose adds to it thru a bit less civillian comforts and the addition of some of the miltary stuff... the map table is cool but the metal on mtetal retaining clips... well you guessed it, they rattle.

The real symphony starts if I lug the engine at all... ie try to stay in 3rd gear in traffic when I should probably downshift to 2nd...
#72526 - in reply to #72521
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1