Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : G owners - vehicle use and personal fulfillment

Page 1 of 1 1
G owners - vehicle use and personal fulfillment
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 12:31 PM
rstl99

Date registered: Dec 1899
G owners - vehicle use and personal fulfillment

Hi all,
The thread on "G owners occupations" was indeed very interesting!

Following on that, I thought it might also be interesting/useful for people to share:

(1) what they actually USE their G-wagen for (commuting; back-country exploration; posing; whatever...) and why they feel it's the best vehicle for those purposes, and

(2) what owning one fulfills in their life and brings satisfaction (need to wield tools and tinker; offroad driving; affinity with the marque; confidence in the solidity and reliability of the vehicle; investment potential; safety in case of accidents; pride in owning something uncommon; etc.)

In my case, as a prospective buyer, I think the reasons I want to one day own a mid-80's diesel G are:

1. affinity with the marque (I own an early 80's MB diesel sedan, and have owned an early 70's MB camper)
2. reliability, ease of maintenance, and fuel mileage of the diesel engine
3. solid, basic design (have owned Land Cruiser and LR 110 in the past)
4. wish to travel on back roads and Northern roads of Canada, and have confidence that the vehicle will get me there and back
5. roominess for hauling all kinds of stuff
6. reasonably user-maintainable, and provide me an opportunity to get my hands dirty doing mechanical work
7. reasonably simple electrical system (pre-computer)

--Robert
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 1:25 PM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8
Re: G owners - vehicle use and personal fulfillment

I live within the 5 boros of NYC (Bronx). My streets are frequently unplowed and are in a state of constant disrepair. In addition, since 9/11 my commute into NYC can require traversing construction grade pot holes and paving abnormalities. I purchased a G to be able to not have to replace rims and tires every 18 months and to be able to travel off-road in a meager way as I view NYC streets as mostly offroad.
#72593 - in reply to #72584
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 1:44 PM
Adoni
Expert

Vehicle(s): '00 G500, '15 C300 4Matic, '06 L322 G4

I use my G for hunting and skiing, The G gives me the added capability and peace of mind that I can get to and back from less than desirable conditions safely and within reason. I also like that my 460 is utilitarian and not as "cushy" as the newer G's. I beat the hell out of my G and it readily says "Thank you sir may I have another" (albeit in German). The 460 is the G I fell in love with growing up, I like knowing that my G is different from what almost anyone save a small handful of people in America have. Thousands of people in the US have spent many times more money for vehicles that are far more common than my G. I love knowing that the locking differentials are there when I need them. As a side note, my mom really enjoys borrowing the G to take the dogs to the river. My cousin has an '05 G500 Grand Edition, my mom concedes it is more luxurious but likes the 280GE far better, she has luxury vehicles, she likes a truck that is supposed to be a truck better than a car/truck posing as the other. When we go hunting and it comes time to take a vehicle back into the hills from camp, all of our friends with explorers, hummers etc automatically leave there vehicles and just jump in the G, there is no pretention, for travelling of the beaten path none of these newer vehicles do it so effortlessly, reguarly or with such understatement as the/my G. Let's be honest, when it comes to climbing those half eroded, pitted dirt roads up the mountain to seemingly nowhere, the G just keeps on climbing like a Billy Goat and brings us back to camp, happy, fulfilled and most importantly, alive and in one piece.
#72601 - in reply to #72584
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 2:16 PM
4-live

RE: G owners - vehicle use and personal fulfillment

I got my G for this reason, I am a importer of a caraudio company and this will be the demo car for it, it will be on car shows in europe after its ready.

For now I use it as a daily driver and with 3 boy's its nice to have a car that can handel all the abuse of these litle mosters.

This car will be a joy for me after its ready, it wil have a sound system so powerfull it will tricker the car allarms in a 5 block radius.

I am not a poser but its just for work, but still prety nice to have this in the car.

I like the G begause of its no nonsence what you need is there for you, robust strong reliable and BIG.
I like the 80's 617 engine begause its simpel and mechanical.

Its a realy nice car that looks great, and it can do what you expect from a car that looks like this.

Edited by 4-live 5/3/2007 2:18 PM
#72606 - in reply to #72584
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 3:00 PM
Tjærand
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 1996 G320

I drive a G because it's reliable, safe, easy to maintain and I live in Norway. Winter is long and harsh and there hasn't been built a proper road since the German occupation. Also my 3 kids love to ride it and all the kids in my daughters pre-school tells her I'm the coolest daddy for driving it :-)
#72612 - in reply to #72584
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 3:09 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

100% poseur since 1984.
#72614 - in reply to #72584
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 4:19 PM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

Nostalgia
#72635 - in reply to #72584
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 4:36 PM
Maxwell Smart

Because it was love at first sight..... I think in all honesty I wouldn't own a 4x4 if I didn't own a G.

One (of many) things that I love about my G is its stress fighting abilities particularly in traffic - its a rare day that I get stressed when driving one. Yet I notice when I get in a friend's very low sports car in heavy traffic it feels stressful when all you can see are the wheels of the cars next to you... I always says its like sitting in a comfortable lounge chair at your local coffee shop with big picture windows and watching the traffic roll by. All it needs is a nice cappuccino machine and it would be perfect!

But besides all that I have plans.... BIG PLANS....
#72639 - in reply to #72584
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 5:18 PM
230GE_Freestyler

I drive a G because are the best off roader!!

(DSCN1372.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN1372.JPG (74KB - 1 downloads)
#72651 - in reply to #72639
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 5:29 PM
hus55
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GDS, G300 LONG,300GDT CLK55 AMG CAB.

i got the buG back in 1984 i think when dad got our first G.I HAVENT LOOKED BACK SINCE!

i own a clk55 cab and cannot compare the two.why?

i sold my vito which i used for dry cleaning collection&deliveries and got my 280GEL which does all my van did+ carries 9 people+gets right of way in a side street+gets you to a destination without fatigue+ airy drive position+solid+i am the only G i see for weeks and months unlike my clk55 cab which gets driven onto! stress'me out when parking anywhere and attracts jealous attention unlike my G's!
#72652 - in reply to #72584
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 8:41 PM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55

Ruggedness, reliability, intelligent design philosophy, ability to run non fossil fuels.

I believe in designing things that are renewable not disposable, the G comes as close to that as any available vehicle.

I tow construction trailers, boats etc regularly.
I use the G on construction sites( sort of off road) sometimes dragging materials (steel, wood, trees)
I have plans( big plans!) to do some long distance touring/expeditioning(a la Baja Mexico) etc.
Uniqueness is pretty cool to! How many of you have been asked," What is that?"
Also I don't mind going slow in my 300GD, if I had a faster vehicle I would probably drive faster. I've seen the results of high speed accidents in lesser vehicles and don't ever want to experience it again, especially not with my family. Safety and strength is a big factor inthe choice of a G. I think a G may be the first car my 14 yo girl gets when she starts to drive, maybe a 240GD so she can't go to fast!

Jonathan
#72686 - in reply to #72584
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 10:07 PM
Titus Pullo
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle(s): '90 Wolf 240GD, '06 G270 CDI.

I use my G as a DD, no matter how much fuel it burns, and for a medium heavy offroad. It is real fun when guys with fully loaded '06 rubys for $50K got stuck and winching like krazy and my old lady just go throw like on a highway. and I love driving my G , it gives me a special feeling which is hard to explain - even after the most s***ies day in my work when everythyng suck, after I seat on drivers seat, run the engine and turn the stereo on - and than the sun is shiny again and the live is beautiful
#72710 - in reply to #72584
Author
Posted 5/4/2007 4:33 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.

As you see from my "details" I drive a G 460 and an Alfa Romeo. Both Cars give me lots of driving pleasure. However, I live in SA Gauteng. We have a rather serious problem, with the "Black Taxis" they are the mini-van type mostly Toyota Hi-Ace or Nissan Econo-Van. They have NO road rules whatsoever. In packed traffic on Hi-Ways if they find a 2 foot gap they will force in. of course with the Alfa I have NO chance and have to oblige to the rudeness. However, with the G the entire matter is lots more fun, THEY budge, THEY show some respect.
Beside using my G for all my adventures, I definitively use the G in City Traffic.

amzimmy

Edited by amzimmy 5/4/2007 4:34 AM
#72747 - in reply to #72710
Author
Posted 5/4/2007 9:49 AM
mortinson
Expert

Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon

Despite what most of the people who know me might think, I don't normally drive the G: it's the wife who has the pleasure of driving it. I just fill the tank, service/repair it, clan/wash it and generally keep it in tip-top condition.

But when I get to drive it, I just love it. It is simply great.

Attached is my currently daily drive: a 1987 SEAT Marbella L with a 0.9 litre, four cylinder petrol engine with 40 BHP. I've had it for 17 years and it's only got 48,000 miles. And still does 80 mph and 47 mpg. My kids love it!

(P1010052.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P1010052.JPG (86KB - 0 downloads)
#72786 - in reply to #72584
Author
Posted 5/4/2007 10:43 AM
mb230s

Vehicle(s): G-less for now, vintage MBs, FJ40

It suits my needs very well. Great for Chicago streets, almost perfect size inside and out (3" more in the backseat would be nice), good visibility, can tow my other cars better than anything else I've towed with (up to 7500 lbs), fun to take off road, has enough "bling" to make it a nice dinner/date car, and is very very comfortable. I once did a New Mexico to Chicago run non-stop and was comfortable the entire way. Without fail, every time I drive the G after spending some time behind the wheel of a rental/loaner - it feels exciting to drive. Very few cars do I still enjoy driving after this long.
#72793 - in reply to #72584
Author
Posted 5/5/2007 12:55 PM
Chrisgd300
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 86 GD 300 and a few others

The GD300 is dad's car for going fishing, towing his boat from one lake to another.
He has a bad back and the sitting position is just wright for him.
The bilsteins we fitted filter out much of the knocks and bumps.

I use is for delivering lawnmowers to our customers, the boxy shape makes this a real piece of cake.
The fully synchronised tranny just flirts with city traffic.

The military bumper on the front makes parking heavy trailers a doddle.

The 3 lockers do just what they are meant to do. Get you out of an akward situation.

It's as solid as a rock and definatly well built.

We've owned the same one for about 10 years now. Although needing a little work now and again, we simply don't even think of selling it.

It's a GGGGreat vehicle.

My other vehicles are
1994 Toyota 4.2 tdi 80 series heaps of power and longdistance driver "wife always falls a sleep in it" enough said
1996 Bmw 1.8 tdi E36 compact cheap cheerfull well built and small highway hopping to nearby cities (Belgium is only 350 kilometers long and 150 km wide, small country)
1996 citroen xantia 1.6i my wifes akward taste in cars and breaks down every 5 minutes with some weird built in flaw.

#72954 - in reply to #72584
Author
Posted 5/6/2007 12:22 PM
id_gwagen

The G is my daily driver, for going outta town with the family, and offroading.

Why I need a G, to push these guys off the street for me to get through

Edited by id_gwagen 5/6/2007 12:24 PM

(bajaj.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bajaj.jpg (50KB - 2 downloads)
#73101 - in reply to #72584
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1