Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Remote Radar Installation

Page 1 of 1 1
Remote Radar Installation
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 3:56 PM
GullwingSL

Date registered: Dec 1899
Remote Radar Installation

Does anyone have a remotely installed radar/ laser system in their G-Wagen? I am familiar with Beltronics systems (975R, RX 75 Plus) and the newer K40 products (Calibre Bluetooth w/ Laser Diffusers). I am trying to decide if I want to go with an installed system, or just stick the Valentine 1 up on the windshield (the angle of the windscreen might be too great for the V1 now that I think about it). Any suggestions? Has anyone had a remote system installed? You guys might laugh at me for even considering radar in a G, but I’m willing to bet that some people, especially those G55 owners out there, have similar concerns. Any/ all input appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 4:11 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Remote Radar Installation

GullwingSL - 5/3/2007 3:56 PM

Does anyone have a remotely installed radar/ laser system in their G-Wagen? I am familiar with Beltronics systems (975R, RX 75 Plus) and the newer K40 products (Calibre Bluetooth w/ Laser Diffusers). I am trying to decide if I want to go with an installed system, or just stick the Valentine 1 up on the windshield (the angle of the windscreen might be too great for the V1 now that I think about it). Any suggestions? Has anyone had a remote system installed? You guys might laugh at me for even considering radar in a G, but I’m willing to bet that some people, especially those G55 owners out there, have similar concerns. Any/ all input appreciated!

I use a Valentine 1 all the time in my G500. It is way more than capable of getting a speeding ticket. I've driven it easily at 80-85 mph with my KK behind it in New Mexico; and that's certainly more than enough to earn you a slap on your wallet in North Carolina, if caught

The angle of the windshield precludes using the suction cups. You'll need to use the visor clip with something propped above the visor to keep it level.
#72634 - in reply to #72627
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 5:58 PM
GullwingSL

Re: Remote Radar Installation

Thanks for the response. I wish the mounting bracket with suction cups worked for windshields with such high angles. Do you have the V1 hardwired since you use the visor clip? Otherwise it seems like you’d be dealing with a rather long power cord running down to the port in the ashtray. I would definitely like to stay with my V1 because 1) I already have one and 2) the expense and complexity of a remote install. Plus, since my dealership no longer does radar installations, I'd be having someone I'm not familiar with at an audio place messing around inside the vehicle - something that doesn't excite me. I'll try your V1 w/ visor clip suggestion tonight.
#72659 - in reply to #72627
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 7:33 PM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8

I am using a bel sti with suction cups and used a solo before. Just bend the bracket. It worked fine.
#72672 - in reply to #72627
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 10:41 PM
PolishEagle
Regular

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): 2003 G500; 2002 CLK55 1981 380SL; 2007 R320

I am using the Valentine1 WITH the suction cups and it has been staying on fine. I have been meaning to hardwire it in, just have been working the last 32 days and haven't had the time, so.........I plug the V into the front and I sneak the Sirius down the parking break to the lighter in the back of the arm rest. Yes Sirius is mounted via suction cups to windshield too.

I also had my EZpass mounted their, but windshield got so crowded I got a license plate mount Ezpass instead.......

SO..... me and my little gremlins that are popping up can see out the front windshield.

SO fair:
Drivers seat always moves forward when adjusted
Passenger mirror not going down anymore in reverse
Drivers door sill stopped lighting up
And the passenger front and rear speakers stopped working.

Who would have thought Benz would be sooooooooo american! hahaha

#72714 - in reply to #72627
Author
Posted 5/4/2007 2:45 AM
GullwingSL

PolishEagle- how did you mount your V1 with suction cups? Did you have to bend the mounting bracket (not sure how you would do this considering the way the V1 suction cup bracket is designed)? It’s possible that I'm not moving the mounting bracket to the furthest position (for the largest angle)...otherwise I'm perplexed as to how you get it to stay up there!
#72735 - in reply to #72627
Author
Posted 5/4/2007 7:42 AM
PolishEagle
Regular

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): 2003 G500; 2002 CLK55 1981 380SL; 2007 R320

Here are pictures, it is a bit angled, but nothing that has caused it to not work correctly.

(S6300076.JPG)

(S6300077.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments S6300076.JPG (279KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments S6300077.JPG (276KB - 1 downloads)
#72771 - in reply to #72627
Author
Posted 5/4/2007 9:28 AM
KERR

mine is the in the same place, I slide it out just a little, it can "bounce" around some but it never falls off.

I did have to replace my suction cups after 4 years though

#72783 - in reply to #72627
Author
Posted 5/6/2007 4:10 AM
G4Garret
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, U1100, SLK350, LR 101, WC-63 6x6

Yes. Mine came with front/rear remote ECCM. I don't remember what they are though, but they work. It was a custom install by the previous owner, includes indicators discretly installed in the instrument cluster to ID front/rear enemy positions. When I get back to my G in a few weeks I'll take some pics, if you would like. I can say for sure the microwave remote RF packages were originally located behind the synthetic rear bumber, and inside the license-plate surround on the front. Both of which have to go if you upgrade to a winch or proper steel rear bumper.

Please let me know if you want to know more. PM or Email is good, as I'm not on the forums much anymore.

Garret
#73075 - in reply to #72627
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1