Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : king pins?

Page 2 of 2 12
king pins?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 3:52 AM
Boy G
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): Diesel G's: 617A and 602
Re: king pins?

jcaine,

just for the cat and pigeons, your original question refers to a knock when pulling off in first gear: Check your engine mounts - esp the left hand side before you go further.

Rgds
#73548 - in reply to #72967
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 4:06 AM
roughneck
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2
RE: king pins?

That seems a lot of money, if it is only free play it can be taken out easily.
#73550 - in reply to #72967
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 9:00 AM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320
Re: king pins?

You can always supply the proper parts in advance. These trucks are so rare, most shops will not have a problem with that.
#73571 - in reply to #72967
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 10:02 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

jcaine - 5/8/2007 8:16 PM So I talked to the shop again today... they say just the king pin for the one side is $325 plus another $50 or so for various washers, shims, etc... diudn't even mention bearings... They also said I need a new multi switch... turn signal, horn, high beam, Wipers... they say the part is $235 I'm getting ripped, right?

Actually, based on what I've seen others pay for G front axle service in the USA, those prices aren't way out of line in my opinion.  Do they have much experience working on the G?  For front axle work it's better if they've seen one before, but not required.  For all the grease and gunk and screwing around involved, it's probably worth $400 to have them do the kingpin as long as they know what they're doing.

You might be able to get the stalk switch for $30-40 less buying from Sean (Eurotruck) or Vlad (fourbyfourclub) from this list.  Installing it is pretty easy, just a few screws to remove the trim panel around the steering  column and plug it in.  If you're so inclinded, adding relays to the headlight circuits will take a LOT of the electrical load off that switch.  From the ones I've seen their failure isn't due to mechancial breakdown, but rather the electrical contacts inside heating up and getting loose or displaced within the plastic housing.  I took my first one apart, but couldn't fix it.  I bit the bullet for a new one (like $180 5 or 6 years ago) and put relays on the circuits.  Not a lick of trouble since.  While you're at it, have a look at the rocker switch for the headlights.  Sometimes the connector for it heats up and gets loose too.  There's an article on fixing that one at ClubGwagen.com in the G-tech section.

All the best,

-Dave G.

PS - the thing they really have to be careful of on old axles like ours is that they have an oil seal at the inboard (right at the pumpkin) end so if they're not carefull when they stuff the axle back in, that seal gets displaced and 90wt from the diffs will mix with the swivel housing grease, adding to the diff oil level, and causing it to blow out the vent.

Edited by hipine 5/9/2007 10:06 AM
#73579 - in reply to #73531
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 3:02 PM
fourbyfourclub
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 300G

TO :jcaine
Hello Joshua
We offer to our customers W460 Front Bearing Master Kit.
This kit contains ALL parts you need to do this job properly plus 10 pages factory installation manual,
with step by step explanation, torque specifications recommended grease and etc..
All parts are carefully selected to make sure you received the best possible bearings , seals and etc. for your G-Class.
You have to find the right repair shop for this installation with some G-Class experience
Estimated installation time 8-10 hours.
Best regards,
Vlad
fourbyfourclub, Inc.
201 258 4778
Mercedes@fourbyfourclub.com
#73611 - in reply to #72967
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 5:44 PM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

Vlad,

do you include the old 460 installation manual, or the easier 463 manual? Or maybe even a consumer friendly (real life advice) manual - meaning all the first hand experience discussed on this board?
Asking because the 460 axle manual seems neither to be good for do-it-yourselfers nor for the G-unexperienced mechanic.
#73644 - in reply to #73611
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 11:16 PM
fourbyfourclub
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 300G

Harald,
I include WIS factory manual for W463 which is suitable for W460 and works fine for any repair shop who has MB experience.
But I always offer to my customers life advise via the phoneand ready to explain any part of this job step by step .
Phone line 201 258 4778
Free phone line coming soon .
Regards,
Vlad
fourbyfourclub
#73682 - in reply to #72967
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 11:57 PM
jcaine

Date registered: Dec 1899

this has all been sooo helpful... after much input and consideration, I'm going to pick the G up tomorrow...I'll take it to another shop next week for another opinion... if in fact I need the king pin repair I'll get the kit from Vlad and deliver to the shop... I'm a little frustrated because this shop was recomended by Europa but I'm not feeling 100% confident in their diagnosis and recomendation(s)... it's hard when you don't have a mechanic/shop you can trust...

Stay tuned.

J
#73683 - in reply to #72967
Author
Posted 5/11/2007 12:24 PM
jcaine

Date registered: Dec 1899

picked up the G yesterday... I had the mechanic show me what was going on... basically with the front jacked up (both wheels off the ground) he rotated the right front wheel back and forth... he could turn the wheel forward and backward about 2 inches before the drive shaft would move... So I can see there is definitely play there.

I'm going to get the kit from Vlad and take it back there to get the king pin job done in a few weeks...

The mechanic seemed VERY experienced with G's and this shop does the warranty work for Europa so I'm a bit more comfortable.

J
#73918 - in reply to #72967
Author
Posted 5/11/2007 2:51 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

.... he could turn the wheel forward and backward about 2 inches before the drive shaft would move... So I can see there is definitely play there. ...

But that's not the test for a bad kingpin bearing....  And depending on what's going on it might not even be abnormal.  Have to have the far wheel on the ground to test for drive line play like that.

Checking for a bad kingpin bearing is best done by grabbing the wheel at the top and the bottom and trying to rock the wheel "in and out" - toward and away from the engine.  Do this while watching the seal between the swivel housing and the swivel ball.  If you see movement between housing and ball while "tipping" the wheel in and out, then you have kingpin problems.  If the wheel tips in and out with no movement between ball and housing, then you have wheel bearing and/or hub problems.

Rotating the wheel is checking a whole different thing.

What kind of things made him "seem very experienced with G's"  ?

Ask him, "If we measure that amount of play you see before you do the repair and then measure it again after you do the repair, how much difference should I expect to see?  And if we don't see that difference, do I still have to pay for the repair?

-Dave G.

Edited by hipine 5/11/2007 2:53 PM
#73954 - in reply to #73918
Author
Posted 5/11/2007 2:52 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

jcaine - 5/11/2007 12:24 PM

picked up the G yesterday... I had the mechanic show me what was going on... basically with the front jacked up (both wheels off the ground) he rotated the right front wheel back and forth... he could turn the wheel forward and backward about 2 inches before the drive shaft would move... So I can see there is definitely play there.

I'm going to get the kit from Vlad and take it back there to get the king pin job done in a few weeks...

The mechanic seemed VERY experienced with G's and this shop does the warranty work for Europa so I'm a bit more comfortable.

J

Doesn't sound like kingpins to me. More like play in the differential pumpkin.
#73955 - in reply to #73918
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12