Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Spare Wheel Carrier Damage....

Page 1 of 1 1
Spare Wheel Carrier Damage....
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/5/2007 4:55 PM
B&O Guy

Date registered: Dec 1899
Spare Wheel Carrier Damage....

Hey Guys,

First post on this incredibly informative forum. Someone punted (hard) my spare wheel tire carrier recently damaging what I originally thought was only the outer steel shell. However, after ordering, painting and sticking the new parts together (@1000CDN) I noticed that the left side of the carrier (which took the brunt of the impact) mounting bracket seems impressed by about 3/4". So when viewing from the left profile the lower hex nut seems depressed into the door. Casually viewed it is difficult to see any difference but I want I want it set right. Dealer is clueless/indifferent, so my question is - can the bracket/hex nut be adjusted at a body shop or does it appear that I need a new bracket (at least)? The truck only has 3000kms on it and I'm concerned there may also be some internal damage within he door.

Cheers,

Allan

Edited by B&O Guy 5/5/2007 5:09 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/5/2007 5:15 PM
4x4abc

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 02 G500
RE: Spare Wheel Carrier Damage....

Allan,

I don't remember how much thread the 3 bolts have - you might be lucky to adjust the depth with added washers. The damage is within your door. Removing the inside liner will give you a better picture. A repair is possible but needs to be done very carefully (pulling out).
#72989 - in reply to #72985
Author
Posted 5/5/2007 5:26 PM
B&O Guy

Thanks for the swift reply Harald. I thought that washers may be able to rectify the space discrepancy. Is this an operation (assessing the internal damage) that a legitimate body shop could perform rather easily? In your esteemed opinion is it worth addressing and fixing?

Thanks for your valued insights.

Allan
#72992 - in reply to #72989
Author
Posted 5/5/2007 5:35 PM
4x4abc

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 02 G500

is it worth addressing and fixing?

Some things age faster than others. If you subscribe to that, you might be able to live with early battle scars.
If you want to keep the "young forever" appearance of your vehicle - its a must fix.
#72994 - in reply to #72992
Author
Posted 5/7/2007 2:50 PM
Phil
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): 1984 280GE

B&O Guy - 5/5/2007 5:26 PM

Is this an operation (assessing the internal damage) that a legitimate body shop could perform rather easily? In your esteemed opinion is it worth addressing and fixing?

Can you post a pic? This might make answering a bit easier.
#73297 - in reply to #72992
Author
Posted 5/7/2007 9:33 PM
B&O Guy

Hi Phil,

A picture would certainly help, however my wife has the digital in the U.K. at the moment. To be succinct - the lower left hex nut (I just re-examined) is depressed into the door aprox 1/2" when compared to the nut on the right. I just reconciled against a G500 not 5 minutes ago and there is definitely a discrepancy. It sounds like nominal damage but I want to be sure there are no issues internally and to correct it aesthetically. The carrier took a significant hit in a parking lot - the culprit is likely a cube van or a jacked pick-up truck.

Cheers,

Allan
#73355 - in reply to #73297
Author
Posted 5/8/2007 5:18 PM
Phil
Veteran

I just noticed you have a 05. Not sure about the newer Gs, but with the 460s the rear inside door-panel can be popped out in less than 5 minutes, providing the best view of the extent of the damage. If the damage is as slight as I am picturing, you can probable push/tap out the dent from the inside, then decide if you need to do anything to the front (buff/sand down crease & touch-up).

Although, I know how you late model G guys are w/regard to the condition of the exterior paint; can't say as I blame you all.
#73489 - in reply to #73355
Author
Posted 5/8/2007 5:39 PM
B&O Guy

Phil,

There is no visible damage to the exterior, not the mounting bracket or the door itself. The hex bolts are recessed inside the door so the only way to determine damage is to remove the inner panel and go from there - I'm calling a reputable body shop right now. Cute dog you have there.
#73495 - in reply to #73489
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 10:53 AM
Phil
Veteran

B&O Guy - 5/8/2007 5:39 PM

The hex bolts are recessed inside the door so the only way to determine damage is to remove the inner panel and go from there - I'm calling a reputable body shop right now.

I think we are saying the same thing- just differently. I'm glad to hear you have someone reputable to work on it. Keep us posted, I'm curious to hear what their fix will be.

B&O Guy - 5/8/2007 5:39 PM

Cute dog you have there.

Thanks, I be sure to tell her you said so.

#73587 - in reply to #73495
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1