Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 460 - No hot or cold air - what's wrong?

Page 1 of 1 1
460 - No hot or cold air - what's wrong?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/6/2007 2:34 PM
rstl99

Date registered: Dec 1899
460 - No hot or cold air - what's wrong?

Looking at a G for sale. 300GD with A/C. Heater fan works but only blows in outside air. No cold air when set to AC full, and no heat when set to heater setting. Problem with the heater box? Ideas? (by the way, the flap inside the engine compartment that controls fresh air intake versus recirculation doesn't work, and is stuck on fresh air in - not sure this matters).
Thanks!

(airflap.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments airflap.jpg (168KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/6/2007 3:12 PM
4-live

RE: 460 - No hot or cold air - what's wrong?

How is the engine temp? if its stays low the look at your termostat.
#73119 - in reply to #73113
Author
Posted 5/6/2007 3:27 PM
DesertStar
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500

Also check your heater valve. There should be a push/pull cable attached that opens and closes to allow hot air to circulate and heat or prevent to allow cool air (no heat). This cable is actuated by the middle lever in the console that goes right to 'red" and left to "blue". I assume you have the factory A/C...if so the round knob nest to the recir switch on dash must be turned to the right with the blower motor on.
Also note on diesels it may take a little drive or run the motor 5 minutes before hot air develops.
I reposted photo showing hot air valve and where to look to see if cable connected.

Good Luck, Mike

(airflap.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments airflap.jpg (42KB - 0 downloads)
#73120 - in reply to #73113
Author
Posted 5/6/2007 3:49 PM
rstl99

Thanks Mike, I might go back and have a look at the truck, and see about that heater valve. That might explain the lack of heat, which the owner says he's had since he brought the truck back from overseas.
Yes, indeed, I would slide that middle lever to red to get heat (truck had been running for 30 minutes so should not have been a problem getting heat out), and only fresh air came out.
Then slide to the blue and turn the AC knob all the way to the right and there MIGHT have been just a twinge of slightly colder air coming out.
That was about it. Made me wonder if there may have been something wrong with the heater box, because that's a dreaded repair job I gather...
#73128 - in reply to #73120
Author
Posted 5/6/2007 5:38 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

DesertStar - 5/6/2007 3:27 PM

Also check your heater valve. There should be a push/pull cable attached that opens and closes to allow hot air to circulate and heat or prevent to allow cool air (no heat).

Hot water to circulate to heat the incoming air.
#73138 - in reply to #73120
Author
Posted 5/6/2007 8:34 PM
DesertStar
Expert

Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500

Dutch corrected me as I meant the valve allows hot water to circulate. Also note that on the center vents above radio there is always fresh air coming from there....to get optimum heat you need to close the freshair vents by turning the wheels down that are on the left and right of the "freshair"vents. Even so, you still should get some heat below and through defrost vents providing levers above and below the hot/cold lever are to the right.
Mike
#73172 - in reply to #73113
Author
Posted 5/7/2007 12:17 AM
sjtymko
G-Class Photo Host

Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, 2009 B200

Also to note, at least on older 460s (it might have changed), no warm air comes out of the center dash vents, only outside air.  If you're checking for warm air here, you'll be waiting for a while!

Steve

#73203 - in reply to #73113
Author
Posted 5/7/2007 4:35 PM
Boy G
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): Diesel G's: 617A and 602
Re: 460 - No hot or cold air - what's wrong?

Robert,

The "heater" box has two radiators in it - one takes in hot water from the engine via that valve that Mike arrowed above and the other "radiator" takes in ice cold gas from the air con compressor. The fan blows air over them into the cabin and depending on which valve you have opened you get either cooked or frosted.

If either do not work they are not getting 1. hot water or 2. gas. They are not inter related except the same fan blows over both and the inlet flap only influences their extremes - not whether they work or not.

If you are serious about the G I'm sure we can suggest how to continue checking it otherwise we just waste space??

I have a unit on my work bench if you want to see a pic??
#73314 - in reply to #73113
Author
Posted 5/7/2007 6:34 PM
rstl99

Re: 460 - No hot or cold air - what's wrong?

HI and thanks for your help, folks.
I've put an offer on the truck, and if I end up buying it, I'll be back to inquire about other things to check to find the source of the problem, and will appreciate your input at that time. Hopefully, it's not something that will require dismantling the dash, and hopefully the AC can be fixed up (the truck is painted black, so AC will be welcome in the Summer!).
Cheers.
#73332 - in reply to #73314
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 2:50 PM
Boy G
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): Diesel G's: 617A and 602

Thanks for your PM,

Here some pics. The non a/c unit has a different fan. The front view of this box (a/c unit) shows the fan housing lowermost. Those four outlets at the bottom are a/c condensate water drains and a very common reason for all the posts on this and other forums about moisture under the front mats.

The rear view shows the A/c evaporator radiator. It is a bit ineffective in really hot (40Deg C +) weather as the fan sucks through it rather than blows and at high fan speeds makes the cab noisier not colder! The two black hoses going left are the a/c gas pipes.

If you split this unit the heater radiator is found in the middle - the pipes are the two center left in the rear view.

Some opinions:

This box rarely gives trouble but if it does you know it is a fiddley job to strip and repair. Ask me!
If your a/c doesn't work check gas first as no other part of the system functions without it - ask for dye to be added so as to track leaks in future. The a/c compressor should then audibly engage (slightly lower engine rpm and after a few minutes the electric fans up front should also start if its the same as mine.) You should now get light frost on your eyebrows
If your heater doesn't work when the vehicle is warm - disconnect the hoses that go through the firewall into the cab and flush through with a hosepipe and my guess is some foul reddish sediment will come out. Also the valve in your photo can be flushed. These are often suspect on the older G's (don't switch off and send hot air through the side vents. They are cheap here - about $ 15.)

Good luck! I hope your offer is accepted

(Rear.JPG)

(Front.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Rear.JPG (223KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Front.JPG (166KB - 0 downloads)
#73608 - in reply to #73113
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1