Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Can one get the key's ref. from the EPC?

Page 1 of 1 1
Can one get the key's ref. from the EPC?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/7/2007 12:14 PM
Kano383

Date registered: Dec 1899
Can one get the key's ref. from the EPC?

Sometime during my 290's life, the handles and key locks for the 3 rear doors were changed.

Of course, only the driver's key was part of the package I bought, and I did not find the key's reference number safely tucked in the glove box...

Now, with some creative filing I managed to convert the back lock to my driving key. But this took me 3 hours, due to the fact that the section of the key is different (the "Z" is the other way round), and that I didn't really have the necessary tools, and no, I can't get decent Swiss files at the local hardware store. There is no local hardware store. Rather, what takes the function of local hardware store would be worthy of a National Geographic article all for itself.

I'd rather skip the job on the other two doors...

The question is: can I get the key's reference on the ECP, and if yes where?

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/7/2007 1:57 PM
mortinson
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon
RE: Can one get the key's ref. from the EPC?

Kano383 - 5/7/2007 6:14 PM

The question is: can I get the key's reference on the ECP, and if yes where?

Thanks!

Not directly.... what you can is to get your friendly local MB garage to order new keys for the locks that the G came with if you supply them with your VIN and proof of ownership
#73291 - in reply to #73275
Author
Posted 5/8/2007 11:55 PM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55

Mortinson,
You must have missed Philip's explanation about the local MB dealers....I can't explain, you need to see the pictures...

Philip, keys are a real pain in the butt. If the lock isn't original to your vehicle and you don't have the key to it...I don't know what to do, I have the same problem, with some of mine. With out the key you can't remove the tumbler, if you can't remove the tumbler then a locksmith can't make a new key. It's what we would call a "Catch 22" here. Like the "child proof bottle" that no adult can open. I'm sure there is a way to dissect the lock and in stall a new one but you would have to do some damage first. Also if you want matching keys you'll have to key all of the other alike to the new locks.
Sorry if I haven't been clear
In the US you have to show proof of ownership( title in your name) before they will order you a new key. This does no good if the locks/tumblers aren't original to the vehicle/VIN number. If you don't have a key for a specific tumbler you cannot extract that tumbler from the lock housing. If you could extract the tumbler any decent locksmith could make a key from the tumbler. Hence the problem....
Also it seems that a lot of locks get jammed over the years from disuse/grim/corrosion? and the keys will not insert all of the way. This also prohibts you from withdrawing the tumbler. Some have suggested soaking in solvents/lubricants etc. but this has not worked for me yet. I loook forward to some other experienced advice on this subject. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Jonathan
#73538 - in reply to #73275
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 4:52 AM
Fenalaar
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2001 ML270CDI, Polaris 400L Big Boss
Re: Can one get the key's ref. from the EPC?

Hmm - Now, can a decent locksmith convert a tumbler to fit a specific key, so that the un-original locks can be used with the original keys ?

This is an interesting problem, because the lock on the tank lid on mine is starting to get very "loose" - I need to wiggle the key a bit before I can manage to unlock the tank lid.

Johan-Kr
#73558 - in reply to #73275
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 9:10 AM
Maxwell Smart

Wouldn't it be easier to just order a whole new key and lock set? You do see these for sale on occassion on ebay - or find someone breaking a G?
#73574 - in reply to #73275
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 9:44 AM
Jonathan Joseph
Expert

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G55

I've been told by locksmiths here, that they can make a key easily from the tumblers or key the lock to match an existing key, as long as they can disassemble the tumbler to get at the pins/leaves/wafers whatever they call them. I haven't priced a new lock but considering that you would have to have it keyed alike anyway, maybe it's more expensive than fixing/rekeying the one you have. But if you don't have a key to the lock you can't pull the cylinder to rekey it, this is the problem I have with one of mine, I think I have the correct key it just doesn't work in the lock due to crude/corrosion etc.
Jonathan
#73577 - in reply to #73275
Author
Posted 5/10/2007 7:40 PM
Titus Pullo
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle(s): '90 Wolf 240GD, '06 G270 CDI.

Fenalaar - 5/9/2007 4:52 AM

Hmm - Now, can a decent locksmith convert a tumbler to fit a specific key, so that the un-original locks can be used with the original keys ?

Johan-Kr
I was told by locksmith - friend of mine that they are able to convert any tumbler to fit specific key. but you still have to find a way to took out your existing tumblers, which is hard if you dont have the keys and they are locked. as mentioned before - catch 22 again
#73824 - in reply to #73558
Author
Posted 5/11/2007 12:35 PM
Kano383

Jonathan, unlike most safety locks in which cylindrical pins are engaged when the key is out, the locks on my G (and I suspect on most Gs) can be taken out without the key. The pins are flat, and only prevent the cylinder from turning, but it can be extracted.

There is only a screw to remove on the lock from inside the door (easier if the handle is off). Better have a key - any key, not necessarily the right one - in the lock in order to prevent the locking pins from flying all over the place.

To convert the lock to your key, you can play musical chairs with the pins until you have the least protrusion from them with your "new" key in.

Then, you file them down until they are flush with the cylinder... And you've got yourself a lock for your key!

Of course, since the pins have now loose tolerances, some other keys may fit too...

That's what I did, and I have one lock converted.

My problem is that I had to file inside the lock too, because the section of my key is different from the section of the original key... Doable, but tedious, and you also lose horizontal guidance for the key, and may have to wiggle it in order to open.

Now that I've done it the hard way, I was just trying to be lazy, and get myself some ready-made locks that would just drop in...

I've done the back door first, because when the central lock goes on strike it's a whole adventure to go and unlock it from inside! Especially with the car stuffed up to the ceiling with a comprehensive set of camping and hunting gear ...
#73924 - in reply to #73275
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1