Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : any 460 test drives available in the SF bay area?

Page 2 of 2 12
any 460 test drives available in the SF bay area?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 2:37 PM
rstl99

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: any 460 test drives available in the SF bay area?

Fenalaar - 5/16/2007 9:51 AM

The stated top speed of the 460 300GD with the 4-speed auto is 83 mph (135 km/h), but I can promise you, you don't want go that fast in it. At that speed you would be doing around 4500 rpm - in a 3-litre diesel. You're going to need hearing protectors. The noise level increases more the higher up you get on the rpm scale.

At 2000 rpm, the noise level is fairly low. At 2500 rpm, it's ok but rising. At 3000-3200 rpm it's loud, but not deafenig. Above 3500 rpm, the noise level is uncomfortable.

I've driven mine at 70-75 mph, and it's doable, but you tire relatively quickly of the noise level. Also, consumption rise quickly, once you get past 55 mph. At 65 mph, you will use almost twice as much diesel to cover the same distance as you do in 55 mph. The optimum cruising speed with regards to consumption is around 45mph.

Noise and consumption will be better with a 5-speed manual, but you can't fit a turbo to a car with that gearbox, and expect the gearbox to last very long.

Johan-Kr

Thanks for that message Johan, it confirms my own (limited) impressions. I recently test-drove my first G, an '88 300GD with 4 speed manual. When we were up at around 90kph (stock sized tires), I already wanted to shift into an (unavailable) 5th gear! And at 100kph (barely keeping up with traffic on the freeway in the city) it was indeed quite loud and uncomfortable (no tach so I wasn't sure about the RPM's at that point). Plus, I don't like to needlessly rev an engine past the point where I feel it's comfortable driving at.

The truck I looked at no longer had the soundproofing blanket on the underside of the hood/bonnet, and there seemed to be little sound-proofing in the cabin, so it was LOUD. Kind of reminded me about the 2.5n/a diesel engined LR 110 that I owned, but at least that one had a 5th gear to bring the revs down a bit on the highway. Plus I had added soundproofing to the floors, hood, inside of doors, which made a big difference. I assume a 460 diesel could benefit from sound-proofing application - I used a sound-proofing paint (!) and also a product called B-Quiet.
http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html

All that to say that I was struck by the "truck-like" nature of the 460. I don't know, I suppose I had expected something a little more refined, noise and (street) performance-wise. The old 83 Land Cruiser BJ60 3.4Ln/a 5 speed wagon that I owned a few years ago was more comfortable on the highway, less noisy.

So the poster who is considering a diesel 460 as a daily driver/family vehicle should definitely drive one before pursuing that intent. I also wish to test drive a 463 for comparison (a 2002 G500 has come up for sale in my area, and I'm sure it will be night and day compared to the 460 300GD), but I don't have the money to invest in something newer, presently.
#74605 - in reply to #74570
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 4:03 PM
Maxwell Smart

Re: any 460 test drives available in the SF bay area?

rstl99 - 5/16/2007 7:37 PM
I also wish to test drive a 463 for comparison (a 2002 G500 has come up for sale in my area, and I'm sure it will be night and day compared to the 460 300GD), but I don't have the money to invest in something newer, presently.

Interesting - is that the silver one we were discussing? I would recommend test driving it just so you have a benchmark....
#74617 - in reply to #74605
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 4:44 PM
rstl99

RE: any 460 test drives available in the SF bay area?

Hi. Yes it is, as it turns out. Probably the only one in the city. I might indeed try to have a look and test drive, for comparison. I saw it parked one day and had a quick look while driving by. I noticed there was already some rust starting on the rockers, just underneath the right side door bottoms. Thought that was a bit premature for a 2002, but sounds like many of them are having premature rust issues...
Cheers.
#74624 - in reply to #74452
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12