Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 290 GTD OM 602 Engine Killer

Page 1 of 1 1
290 GTD OM 602 Engine Killer
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/6/2007 1:13 PM
Freek
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): 2000 290GDT, 1985 280GE, 83 300GD in process
290 GTD OM 602 Engine Killer

Hi to all Ganatics

I have eventually gotten around to report on my premature engine failure on my 2000 290GTD with 170 k km's on the clock. (discussed a while ago on the forum) The killer was a steel chip in the oil pump, which (it appears) has been there for a while and which eventually managed to get lodged between the gear and the casing on the suction side, resulting in loosening the press fit on the shaft from the sprocket. (the latter can now be turned by hand with gears standing still) The origin could not be determined up to now.

This chip can be seen in the photos below if you look carefully where the gear point passes the casing. On the one photo it looks like a chip but it actually is a piece of steel (slightly triangular shaped) maybe 3to 4mm long and 2 mm on its widest. Judging by the serrated nature of the edge on casing it is clear that this piece of steel has been there for a while. I think it is significant that the chip was on the suction side. The oil pick-up strainer is in perfect condition with no sign of perforation.

I have always changed the oil and filters myself and always decanted the oil from the pan back into the oil cans in which it was purchased and done so approximatgely 1500km before the failure, I always pay particular attention to look for metal chips in the filter and the last bit of sludge in the bottom of the pan. It was always clear.

As far as i know the oil pump has not been opened before.

Anybody else with a similar experience or ideas where such a chip would come from?

I have eventually decided to install a new engine (602 983 again) and the vehicle is eventually going again, running very well except for one concern;- it has failed to start immediately (it always starts almost immediately) at three or four occasions over the last 2000km's but after a while it would start again? Any ideas what can be the reason for this? Battery is fine, cranks normally, engine is brand new - is there something preventing the dieselpump from pumping diesel?

Looking forward to comments

Regards

Freek

(290 GTD steel chip in oil pump.jpg)

(290 GTD steel chip in oil pump 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 290 GTD steel chip in oil pump.jpg (78KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 290 GTD steel chip in oil pump 2.jpg (76KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/6/2007 10:56 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: 290 GTD OM 602 Engine Killer

Isn't there supposed to be a screen on the inlet to prevent just this kind of failure? If the screen is in place then the chip was on the inside for the entire life of teh oil pump and engine.
#81485 - in reply to #81441
Author
Posted 7/7/2007 1:33 AM
Freek
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): 2000 290GDT, 1985 280GE, 83 300GD in process
Re: 290 GTD OM 602 Engine Killer

Alan

The screen is there and intact, determined from visual inspection through the pick-up duct. There is a school of thought that because these screens are woven it would be possible for a thin, sharp pointed object to wiggle itself through the screen by wedging the wires apart and so finding its way through. However i do not know what the flow velocity in these pick-up (suction) tubes are but i doubt it whether it will be sufficient to mobilize a relatiely dense object with sufficient force to enable especially the shape of the chip to go through.

The only other possibility is that the previous owner or owners did indeed work on the pump and this piece ended up in the casing by accident or negligence.

I still do not have the pump in my possesion (still 700km away) but intend to dismantle it completely once here.

Will keep you posted

Regards

Freek
#81493 - in reply to #81441
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1