Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : gasoline jerry cans in the trunk

Page 1 of 1 1
gasoline jerry cans in the trunk
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/6/2007 2:55 PM
nugat
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): 280GE, 290GD, c303
gasoline jerry cans in the trunk

I need more reach with my 280GE. I was researching jerry cans:
-on the roof rack. bad in the mountains where I am going (higher gravity center)
-at the back. but where?how? dangerous
--on the sides, hanging. dangerous

So how about carrying them inside the car in a military spec epoxy transportation case?
I got both 20l plastic and 20l steel ones.
The plastic ones are airtight (no vapour/smell) so I would prefer them. The only thing I am afraid off is static electricity. Any danger?

What do you think?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/6/2007 3:02 PM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: gasoline jerry cans in the trunk

I put gas in the back of my G once a week. 20 gallons.. never had a problem. I traded tractors so now im hauling diesel... still no problems.

I would get a rubber mat to lay over top of the carpet if you have carpent, in the back and it would eliminate the static electricity problem for sure. You will need a way to tie them down though so they dont fall over and leak all over the place... I spilt one one time, ( either that hit a kid and a dog) and it took for ever to get it cleaned up...

#81453 - in reply to #81450
Author
Posted 7/8/2007 3:32 AM
nugat
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): 280GE, 290GD, c303
RE: gasoline jerry cans in the trunk

I read about fires casued by static electricity while filling up tanks or jerry cans. Apparently gasoline while being transferred (moved) can build up charges. When the container is not grounded (like metal jerry can sitting on the back of a plastic bedlined pick up truck), and the driver also bulids up static charges- explosions happened. There are only 25 or so cases documented annually by Petroleum Equipment Institute (USA) out of 12 billion fuelings, but...
So going back to my fear: is there anything else I can do to discharge static electricity from a plastic can? I imagine during the trip the gas will be moving inside the can ( as other precaution is to fill up to 95% capacity to let the fuel expand). Gas moving--static build up. And the worst scenario: failed or crushed container inside the car. I will put the jerry can into a strong epoxy military box. I will also wrap the can in rubber sheets. The lining of my truck is rubber. Should I chain the epoxy box eg. to the metal legs of the row seats? Will it help to discharge? Spray the containers with something? Forget the jerry cans altogether?
Maybe I sound paranoid, but when you go travelling with your family...
#81537 - in reply to #81450
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1